Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
All my GCs disappeared. Easy to get them back I assume?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I use to have problems with Walmart employees not knowing how to enter the card. The best thing to do is to get a Walmart Pay acount and transfer the card into their app.

In fact, I found that if any merchant has the ability to load gift cards into their apps (Starbucks for example), loading the gift card into their app is a foolproof way of getting thr card accepted.

Of course this is more time consuming and not to be done at the register.

I frequent Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Staples, and Christmas Tree Shops and have never had a problem in store.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:07 am
Suspended

The Walmart employees need to be trained because they have zero clue what I'm trying to do. The mgr kept saying the reason they can't complete the gift card transaction is there aren't funds on the digital gift card......I just gave up and went to their self check out and used the same giftcard….and it worked fine
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
The Walmart employees need to be trained because they have zero clue what I'm trying to do. The mgr kept saying the reason they can't complete the gift card transaction is there aren't funds on the digital gift card......I just gave up and went to their self check out and used the same giftcard….and it worked fine
so did they try scanning the giftcard barcode and it didn't work?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Member

Anyone have a contact number for Mileage X? I keep trying to buy GCs and it keeps denying the purchase! I don't know what is wrong and no one emails back.

Any info would be appreciated. How can I tell which GCs have money left on them? Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:17 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by sggolf
Anyone have a contact number for Mileage X? I keep trying to buy GCs and it keeps denying the purchase! I don't know what is wrong and no one emails back.

Any info would be appreciated. How can I tell which GCs have money left on them? Thanks!
Have you updated/reinstalled the app?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:01 am
Original Member

Thanks. I deleted the app and re-installed. Still get the following error:

Purchase failed. The system is experiencing errors.

The charge on your credit card statement has been automatically voided and will be credited back to your account in a few days.

I still can't buy GCs! Argh!

I tried adding a default card, no request for password, but purchase still failed.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2018 at 9:34 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:15 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat

The charge on your credit card statement has been automatically voided and will be credited back to your account in a few days.

Version 1.9.10 build 267..?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:10 pm
Original Member

Yes, this is the version I have.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat
If you go to the main menu and look at purchases, if any merchants show up there, you may have a balance on the card. I just looked and had one still showing for Best Buy, however, I used the gift card online at the shopping portal and didn't mark it as redeemed. The other time I used the app, the gift card seems to have been auto redeemed.

Add - if you click on My Account - you can see a list of your purchases under the transaction history.

Maybe someone else has more info. I have only used the app a couple of times.

Last edited by Lynnie_Bee; Sep 26, 2018 at 5:39 pm Reason: more info
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: MileagePlus

I tried adding a default card, no request for password, but purchase still failed.
I have had the exact same problem since end of May / beginning of June. I was buying Wal-mart gift cards on a weekly basis, then one week I got that error message, and haven't been able to buy gift cards since. I've even tried the https://giftcards.mileageplus.com website, and still got the same message. It is very frustrating.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond

Its got to be a phone/OS problem. Install the app on another phone (friend, whatever) or ipad and go from there.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:10 pm
Suspended

I can't get into my account. It's telling me "system is disabled" Any others have the same problem?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I can't get into my account. It's telling me "system is disabled" Any others have the same problem?
I'm getting "temporarily unavailable".
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: United, Southwest
I am trying to save my niece's frequent flyer miles which expire in December. I am thinking that purchasing a gift card on this MPX site using HER Mileage Plus number would do the trick?

1. Is it OK for me to link my own CC to use, NOT my own United branded CC but a different one? It would be a card in my name, not hers.

2. Will this work as a way to 'save' her miles for another year???

THANKS ALL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.