Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You can dispute the charge with Amex. You will have to write an explanation of why you are disputing the charge, you can explain everything there. Amex will process a chargeback to MP/X and they will have to justify the charge, that might force them to look into the problem based on the explanation you provide Amex. Success is not a guarantee, this is why it's better to keep trying to pursue it with MP/X if you can.

You might also give Kohl's another call and maybe ask to speak to a supervisor. Somebody there must realize they are selling these through United MP/X and that you are the purchaser of the virtual gift card. Or go in to your local Kohl's with the credit card used for the purchase and MP/X app on your phone with the gift card there, and try to get some help from customer service.

Ultimately, the chargeback through Amex should be your last resort, and you can include everything you tried to do to in your explanation of facts to Amex.

-David
Thank you! Actually I have been in local Kohl's store the next day, brought my receipt from MPX, my payment card and ID. Their customer service called gift card dept/fraud dept and I have talked to several people including supervisor over the phone in store. Supervisor told me both cards have $500 but both were on hold. And Kohl's refuse to help me at all...

I know chargeback is my last resort, that's why I'm trying to get suggestions before initiating the chargeback.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:21 am

Angry

I had a weird interaction at Walmart.

A confused cashier did not know how to process the gift card; she might have thought I was trying to purchase a gift card rather than pay with the gift card, but who really knows. So the cashier called the manager.

The manager told me that if I wanted to use a Walmart gift card, I need to download the Walmart application and load the gift card to the Walmart application.When I said, that I paid this way many times in the past, she said that it was a mistake that I was allowed to pay like that.

Go figure.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TObject
When I said, that I paid this way many times in the past, she said that it was a mistake that I was allowed to pay like that.

Go figure.
This is a niche app that appeals to a small segment of the population, so IME, its easy to see why cashiers would be naive. Saying "I'm paying by gift card" and handing them the phone with the bar code showing usually does the trick for me. The only funny looks I get are a result of me purchasing a gc for the exact price of the goods purchase down to the cent and cashiers reading "0 balance on your card" off the paper receipt. I'd find that suspicious, but no one has questioned me about it.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:19 pm

I'm trying to start using this app. When in a store am I supposed to wait until my goods have all been rung up by the cashier then faff around on the app, typing in the final amount, purchasing the MPX gift card, then handing to cashier? Seems like it would be cumbersome and time consuming.

or is it better to figure out what $ gift card I need, and buying that in advance of going to the register? Presumably any remaining balance could be used in the future (in addition to another MPX gift card)?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:22 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I'm trying to start using this app. When in a store am I supposed to wait until my goods have all been rung up by the cashier then faff around on the app, typing in the final amount, purchasing the MPX gift card, then handing to cashier? Seems like it would be cumbersome and time consuming.

or is it better to figure out what $ gift card I need, and buying that in advance of going to the register? Presumably any remaining balance could be used in the future (in addition to another MPX gift card)?
No just get the total, tell them you have a gift card and you have to load it on your phone...They will understand.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:56 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I did actually attempt it in Petco today but the app kept freezing/not downloading the list of stores. Eventually I managed to select Petco but it locked up again. This was all while in the store walking around. Due to that I didnt even bother trying when I got to the register. I detest people in stores slowing things down by using such modern technology based payment methods. I dont want to be that person.

App seems ok now though. I just made a purchase through JC Penney online (via the UA shopping portal) using a MPX generated gift card. Triple dip success. 333 miles for $43 spend.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:49 pm

Yes it’s a regular gift card so you can use up the remainder later. Either approach works but figuring out the total in advance is prob best.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:51 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Thanks. I'll give it a try. I did actually attempt it in Petco today but the app kept freezing/not downloading the list of stores. Eventually I managed to select Petco but it locked up again. This was all while in the store walking around. Due to that I didnt even bother trying when I got to the register. I detest people in stores slowing things down by using such modern technology based payment methods. I dont want to be that person.

App seems ok now though. I just made a purchase through JC Penney online (via the UA shopping portal) using a MPX generated gift card. Triple dip success. 333 miles for $43 spend.
i try to have the app open when i walk into the store...it goes into sleep mode when i'm in line... then i just wake it up and enter the amount...
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:55 pm

Is there a way to stop it asking for my password to complete the gift card purchase?
I'd rather a password to open the app. It's annoying having to type the password while standing at the register.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver

This is what I do so that it doesn't take me any extra time to use MPX. If I'm buying a lot of stuff, I'll pull up the app and select the merchant and the payment method while I'm in line and/or while the items are being rung up, and then punch in the total when the cashier gives it to me. If I'm only buying a few things, I pull up the app before I head to the register. If I'm buying one item, then I know how much the item is, add the sale tax mentally, and then buy the GC in the app before I even get to the register.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:34 am

In some stores data connections may not work well, so in that case, estimating the amount and buying the gift card in advance works best.

Walmart is a special case since they beefed up their free in store wifi to allow pay by their app to work, but in that case you might want to load the gift card into the walmart app in advance anyway.

You can always partial pay with a gift card and pay the remainder with a credit card.

I will say that when I use MPX in places like Panda Express I wait for the total and buy the gift card when I'm waiting to pay. So perhaps there's no one-size fits all answer here? It depends on the situation.

-David
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:43 am

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll put them into practice 🙂
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem

I will say that when I use MPX in places like Panda Express I wait for the total and buy the gift card when I'm waiting to pay. So perhaps there's no one-size fits all answer here? It depends on the situation.

-David
Is Panda Express back in MPX? I haven't seen it in a couple months.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
Is Panda Express back in MPX? I haven't seen it in a couple months.
Yeah, not seeing it in anymore. Sorry, didn't realize it left. It was a good one, 5x I think.

-David
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:21 pm

Amex travel credit

Any word on whether MPX works again for the Amex airline fee credit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.