Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Batman's brother
Am I the only one who finds the whole process tedious? I was able to apply $53 at the Cheesecake factory, but you have to go back and forth, toggling screens and switching apps. I'd likely use it if I was purchasing a new Dell with a $1,000+ price tag, but for the occasional spend it sucks time. I do use it for Uber. My largest spend was Amazon and that appears to be gone, at least for now.
Still enjoying getting easy miles. Starbucks transactions are among the most seamless I've ever seen on any platform. Other than the login hiccup a few weeks ago, it's been a boon.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm trying to use the MPX app to add miles to an account whose miles will be expiring very soon. I can't get it t work. Purchases always fail. We get this error: "Purchase failed The system is experiencing errors. The charge on our credit card statement has been automatically voided and will be credited back to your account in a few days." I've tried different merchants and different credit cards. The cards are billed to the same address as the MP account, but are in a different name as the MP account is in the name of a minor. Any advice?

Last edited by Xyzzy; May 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Old May 27, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm trying to use the MPX app to add miles to an account whose miles will be expiring very soon.
Is it confirmed that MPX miles posted to an account will be considered as activity allowing it to continue to retain existing miles with no activity?
Old May 27, 2018, 1:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Is it confirmed that MPX miles posted to an account will be considered as activity allowing it to continue to retain existing miles with no activity?
Yes, any mileage activity, deposit or withdraws, from any source, of any size, works.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, any mileage activity, deposit or withdraws, from any source, of any size, works.
^ Thanks!
Old May 28, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Has anyone had MPX miles post of late? As noted abve, I can't seem to get any transactions to complete.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
No issues at all, I've used MPX three times in the last 2 days without a problem at all, Miles post instantly.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone have experience with MPX and a CC that is not in the same name as the MP account hlder? I'm thinking that that is the problem here.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Doctor of Credit reporting that MPX food purchases are again being coded as food purchases awarding bonuses for the CSP/CSR. (2x/3x)
Old May 30, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Does anyone have experience with MPX and a CC that is not in the same name as the MP account hlder? I'm thinking that that is the problem here.
<sigh> got a card with the same name as the MP account ... it still fails. We called. The MPSC has n clue why this is failing.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Email bounce

Having an issue with an app purchase. Email sent to...

customer service email address, [email protected]

got bounced back. Thoughts?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:57 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Did I miss something, or is Amazon all of a sudden no longer a MileagePlusX partner?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
It's gone for me too
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Did I miss something, or is Amazon all of a sudden no longer a MileagePlusX partner?
Gone as of a week+ ago, as best I can tell.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:34 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
That's a big loss!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.