Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Yes. You are buying things with it after all, and GCs are not cash equivalents.

I think I may have been flagged, or the system pooped the bed. Tried to buy a $286 eBay GC and since it only goes up to $200, I bought the $200 first, then the second one for $86 errored out. Now, I'm getting all sorts of errors.

Last edited by diburning; Sep 18, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:19 pm

does not
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:31 pm

anyone having problem logging in? It keeps telling me my login failed. Same login is working fine on united.com

Update: opened up app 24 hours later and there was an update installed. All working fine now

Last edited by be001; Sep 22, 2017 at 3:30 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Where is Starbucks??!!!

Since yesterday Sbux not showing up as online or location! Anyone else?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Points Fitness
Since yesterday Sbux not showing up as online or location! Anyone else?
I still see it, but only under Catalog > All

Starbucks Card 2mile/dollar
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG/Marriott & Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by Wooglin
I still see it, but only under Catalog > All

Starbucks Card 2mile/dollar
Same here. Most food options are not showing up on the Locations view for me after the latest update, except for Chipotle with its 0.5 miles/dollar. Odd... Dominos, Panera, and Starbucks are all within a three-block radius of my current location, and from the map view it's got that right, but only Chipotle shows up in the Nearby menu. All four show up in the Catalog, either in All or in Food.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by hwest
Same here. Most food options are not showing up on the Locations view for me after the latest update, except for Chipotle with its 0.5 miles/dollar. Odd... Dominos, Panera, and Starbucks are all within a three-block radius of my current location, and from the map view it's got that right, but only Chipotle shows up in the Nearby menu. All four show up in the Catalog, either in All or in Food.
Had same problem with Nike not showing up yesterday. Got the following today when clicking on My Account:
Error
sourceID parameter in request does not match sourceID parameter used to create authenticationCode parameter in request
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:38 am

Got an email from UA today offering 500 bonus miles for my first MileagePlus X purchase. Only problem: I've been using MPX for several months now, so I don't qualify for the bonus.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Got an email from UA today offering 500 bonus miles for my first MileagePlus X purchase. Only problem: I've been using MPX for several months now, so I don't qualify for the bonus.
I got that email, and reread through the terms. Its targeted told chase card members it looks like, so I think that's the basis for promotion. I think it means you will get 500 miles on your first purchase during the promotion period (now to october 31).
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
I got that email, and reread through the terms. Its targeted told chase card members it looks like, so I think that's the basis for promotion. I think it means you will get 500 miles on your first purchase during the promotion period (now to october 31).
For me, it says I must be a primary MileagePlus Cardmember and a new MileagePlus X user. Unless their definition of "new" is "started using it earlier this year," I don't think that applies to me.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
For me, it says I must be a primary MileagePlus Cardmember and a new MileagePlus X user. Unless their definition of "new" is "started using it earlier this year," I don't think that applies to me.
If you started using the app earlier this year, but never made a purchase... it should apply to you. But then, why use the app if you aren't actually buying GCs?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Does anyone encounter the red error message "Expected status code in (200-299) got 503" now when logging in?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Yes. It seems to occur when the login server for MileagePlus (in general, not just MPX) is having issues.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is anyone else having trouble pulling up their MileagePlus X apps tonight? I'm getting an "Error: Exception during BRE processing: CR: 123 - badly formed response from United web services received" whenever I try to load the app.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:32 am

Are new accounts still susceptible to a 14-day hold? I just got the app and logged in and seem to be unable to purchase anything, but the error messages don't refer me to customer service. It seems I should just wait two weeks without trying again?

Does Discover see the correct merchant? I've seen lots of reports that Visa sees the end merchant but that Amex does not, but I didn't read anything about Discover.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.