Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tmpy
Tried to use the Mileageplus x app today for a purchase but the app wouldn't load. Getting an error "System is disabled". Anyone else having an issue. Hope this isn't the end of a good thing.
I initially saw the error you reported but when I clicked on "Try Again" vendor info populated and all was well again.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joban
I was going to eat Panda Express tonight, but they have been removed. Their removal must have been in the last week or so.
I bet they'll be back. Heck, eBay comes and goes about every two months!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Is MileageplusX the only portal-like place you can get miles for Nordstrom purchases?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Is MileageplusX the only portal-like place you can get miles for Nordstrom purchases?
https://shopping.mileageplus.com/ has Nordstrom Rack earning 2 miles/$
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
https://shopping.mileageplus.com/ has Nordstrom Rack earning 2 miles/$
Different store with different inventory, although Rack GCs can be used in Nordstrom proper and vice versa.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I like this app, but it annoys me with its buggyness, like today my purchase kept failing despite my obviously correct password being entered.

Though this will be dangerous. My new office building has a Kona Grill in it. Kona offers 5x through MPX. Combine that with 5x on the Chase Freedom this quarter and my 10% discount for working in the building... I'm going to be eating lots of sushi for lunch

If I can ever get MPX to buy a Kona GC
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: 1K
Anyone having issues purchasing through the app? trying to purchase an AMZ GC and am in an endless "processing payment" hold.. tried different cards to boot
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:22 pm

HU to folks traveling abroad and using the app, make sure you turn off location services on your phone. Despite having VPN on my phone that was showing a US IP address i couldn't complete a transaction until i restricted location services as well.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by BZRORG
Anyone having issues purchasing through the app? trying to purchase an AMZ GC and am in an endless "processing payment" hold.. tried different cards to boot
Just bought a $500 AMZN GC and $200 EBAY GC - both went thru without a hitch. US domestic phone physically within lower 48 US states.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by lainys
Just bought a $500 AMZN GC and $200 EBAY GC - both went thru without a hitch. US domestic phone physically within lower 48 US states.
Interesting. I was not able to buy yesterday, and now just trying again and still same issue. I am located in the lower 48 and have tried with 2 different phones, 1 ATT Iphone 4s and 1 Tmobile Iphone 6s+

i guess it has something to do with my account
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Interesting. I was not able to buy yesterday, and now just trying again and still same issue. I am located in the lower 48 and have tried with 2 different phones, 1 ATT Iphone 4s and 1 Tmobile Iphone 6s+

i guess it has something to do with my account
Many months ago I had a similar problem. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. What finally worked for me was changing my password on United.com, and then using the new password in the app. I haven't had a problem since.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Many months ago I had a similar problem. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. What finally worked for me was changing my password on United.com, and then using the new password in the app. I haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for the suggestion. I changed my password, got past the "processing payment" message and got it with a "Transaction Declined - We're sorry -- your transaction cannot be completed. Please email [email protected] for assistance"

I've emailed the email address. Will follow up here once i get a fix for anyone else that may have experienced or will experience the same issue in the future
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Thanks for the suggestion. I changed my password, got past the "processing payment" message and got it with a "Transaction Declined - We're sorry -- your transaction cannot be completed. Please email [email protected] for assistance"

I've emailed the email address. Will follow up here once i get a fix for anyone else that may have experienced or will experience the same issue in the future
Sorry to hear. What a frustrating experience. Best of luck to you!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
HU to folks traveling abroad and using the app, make sure you turn off location services on your phone. Despite having VPN on my phone that was showing a US IP address i couldn't complete a transaction until i restricted location services as well.
Thanks for the tip!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: United
App hasn't been working for the last two days on mine and my spouses phone. Transactions say they will be credited back. Anyone else experiencing this currently? I occasionally get this, but the last two days i havent been able to complete a transaction and have missed out on at least 2000 miles

svirf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.