Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by phkc070408
I'm having the exact same problem but am unable to make purchases through the App.

The other day I changed my MileagePlus password becasue I received an email that my information was changed (I never changed anything and we could find anything that was changed). I forgot to change the password on the MPX app and that evening tried to make a purchase and the Face-ID kept trying to log me in. It took me a second to figure out what was wrong, but by the time I did, it was too late.

While I am able to make purchases on the Web, I can't make purchases through the app. I keep getting the "Transaction Declined. We're sorry -- Your cannot be completed. Please email [email protected] for assistance. This happed on Tuesday at 6:00pm ET. I emailed them right away. It is not Saturday morning and I have not heard back from them.

Nope. Still no luck.

I recall reading something before that if you log-out of the app and don’t touch it for 15 days, it should clear up. Has anyone had luck with this before? I just (30 seconds ago) sent then another email.
​​​​​​​
I also started receiving this error message two or three days ago. I emailed them as well and have not heard back from them. I did not make any changes to my account recently.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Has anyone else been able to make a purchase within the last week? I keep getting the "Transaction Declined" error.

I just tried using a different browser, a different credit card, and a different account (wifey's) and still am not having any luck.

Given that my wife's account isn't working either, I'm wondering if my password issue was actually the cause of the problem, or if there's something else going on. Keep in mind that I tried my wife's account from the same computer, and thus the same IP address, so that complicates the troubleshooting as well.

After emailing them on Tuesday, I finally heard back from them on Saturday, but was told that I should call MP to get my account unlocked since I had a password error. Since I'm able to log into United.com, I don't think that's the issue. I responded on Saturday and haven't heard anything since.

I just gave MP a call and talked to IT. They can't find anything wrong with my account and they told me to try again in about 5 hours. While they didn't make any changes or reset anything on my account, I couldn't understand if they did anything to their end. I'll try again in the morning.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
I used the MPX browser extension on Chrome yesterday and it worked and also got an email acking the miles received.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:05 pm

just bought a walmart gc in the app, no problems.

-David
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:03 am

what is the link to that extension? i can't find it
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Michael Belisle
what is the link to that extension? i can't find it
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pohpkfne?hl=en
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
ok. i when i saw the post mention mpx i thought the extension would be able to buy gift cards like the mpx app does. i don't see that feature on here
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:48 am

Yeah that post is misleading. It should say MPS (Mileageplus Shopping) chrome extension. There is no MPX/gift card chrome extension.

Although, you can now link into MPS from within the MPX app, so there is some overlap there.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael Belisle
ok. i when i saw the post mention mpx i thought the extension would be able to buy gift cards like the mpx app does. i don't see that feature on here
You can just go to the web page to buy gift cards (no extension needed). I find that it is more reliable than using the app (though it is not instant)

https://giftcards.mileageplus.com/
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Jeanine Marie
Im having some serious issues with the app- just downloaded it to try and up my miles game, but every time I go to buy a GC I get "transaction declined". No issues with card... are there only certain cards you can use? Is there a waiting period before you can make your first transaction? Do you have to have a certain amount of miles before you can buy a GC on the app? Called mileage plus customer service and they were zero help- guy said I needed to use miles to buy the GC, which goes against everything I am trying to do.

Any insight will be appreciated!
I'm pretty convinced now that they do it on purpose. Give you the illusion that United is awesome to offer that app for you to earn points, but that's not exactly welcome to use it.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:13 am

I've been having issues lately as well, but I think most of them were self inflicted.

About 3 weeks ago, I changed my United Password and forgot to change it on the MileagePlus X App. I had FaceID turned on and my iPhone kept trying to log me in with my old password. I got the generic "Transaction Declined" message and had to wait the 2 weeks for it to unlock.

I tried it again last Wednesday and it worked great. On Saturday evening, I got a different Transaction Declined" message, telling me to check my billing address in my mileageplus account. I checked them and they were right. So I tried a few different cards, and tried my wife's account. After a bunch of failed attempts, I got the normal "Transaction Declined" message and now have to wait the two weeks again. 🤦‍♂️
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: W/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I've been having issues lately as well, but I think most of them were self inflicted.

About 3 weeks ago, I changed my United Password and forgot to change it on the MileagePlus X App. I had FaceID turned on and my iPhone kept trying to log me in with my old password. I got the generic "Transaction Declined" message and had to wait the 2 weeks for it to unlock.

I tried it again last Wednesday and it worked great. On Saturday evening, I got a different Transaction Declined" message, telling me to check my billing address in my mileageplus account. I checked them and they were right. So I tried a few different cards, and tried my wife's account. After a bunch of failed attempts, I got the normal "Transaction Declined" message and now have to wait the two weeks again. 🤦‍♂️
Two weeks is nuts. Can't you call?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Two weeks is nuts. Can't you call?
Unfortunately no, there is no phone number to call. You have to wait the full 2 weeks. Also, if you try to use it before the full 2 weeks is up, the clock will reset. I usually wait 16 days to be extra sure.

They have an email address, [email protected], but they can’t unlock you.

It’s highly frustrating. Trust me.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You can just go to the web page to buy gift cards (no extension needed). I find that it is more reliable than using the app (though it is not instant)

https://giftcards.mileageplus.com/
Yes, and you can buy gift cards from overseas too using the web page, (but you can't with the app), but it takes three days to get them.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Yes, and you can buy gift cards from overseas too using the web page, (but you can't with the app), but it takes three days to get them.
Right. It's not great for individual one-off purchases, but it works very well for stores or restaurants where you spend money frequently, and don't mind holding some balance in GCs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.