Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Express Carrier SkyWest Ends CLD-LAX Service on 6 April 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nerd
This change in service is a result of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1629485-united-express-carrier-skywest-retire-all-emb-120s-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.

Originally Posted by pagotto
Interesting news out of Skywest on the retirement of all of the EMBs by summer 2015...wonder what it will mean for the smaller cities served by UA in California at this point...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/skywes...232000680.html
Oh-Oh.
I wonder what will become of CLD-LAX. That's really the last main reason I have to fly on UA.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 22, 2014 at 8:11 am Reason: added quote from main thread
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Oh-Oh.
I wonder what will become of CLD-LAX. That's really the last main reason I have to fly on UA.
I enjoyed the SAN-LAX flight and the EMB120 still shown at EOS (Oct 2015). Will be interesting to see once Skywest and UA sort this out.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by saxman66
OO has announced Crescent City, Carlsbad, and Moab, UT, will totally lose service. I also wonder about routes such as SMF-SFO
do you have a link for that announcement? i believe you, but would just like to pass it along.

CLD is a fantastic little airport, and flying into there so much over the past couple of years has made me (a new englander) discover and then appreciate the oceanside/carlsbad/encinitas area a lot more than if i was limited to LAX or SAN.

it's a shame CLD couldn't work out. the ground staff was great, and some even started to remember me even after only flying in/out a few times. car rentals were a breeze, and much cheaper than LAX. being able to fill up on costco gas right down the road always made me smile.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Worried

Originally Posted by riphamilton
do you have a link for that announcement? i believe you, but would just like to pass it along.

CLD is a fantastic little airport, and flying into there so much over the past couple of years has made me (a new englander) discover and then appreciate the oceanside/carlsbad/encinitas area a lot more than if i was limited to LAX or SAN.

it's a shame CLD couldn't work out. the ground staff was great, and some even started to remember me even after only flying in/out a few times. car rentals were a breeze, and much cheaper than LAX. being able to fill up on costco gas right down the road always made me smile.
I hear you. I live a few miles from CLD airport, and take the local 309 bus to the airport to catch the most convenient way to LAX. O/W ticket is about $125. Oddly, CLD-LAX is consistently cheaper than SAN-LAX.

This segment is the ONLY UA ticket I'd ever buy. Easy way to get to LAX to connect to airlines better than UA.

Who is OO? (figured out later it's "Skywest"). I have a LAX-CLD segment booked already for May.

Last edited by Bowgie; Nov 18, 2014 at 11:45 pm Reason: OO is the code for Skywest
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Oh-Oh.
Funny you should ask. There were 4 GAs last night at LAX, in the commuter terminal, sounding like they were talking about the end of service to CLD. I couldn't quite get a handle on why.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: ua 1k/*g, ge, hh g, spg/mr plat
Originally Posted by riphamilton

I agree, great airport & staff. Doesn't appear they have made a definitive public announcement on more cuts yet (they already have a bunch of routes canceling Dec. 2nd), maybe just gauging responses/incentives? Their press release only mentions removing the props, nothing about service.

http://skywest.com/assets/Uploads/Pr....14.EMB120.pdf

Here are a couple of articles mentioning the possible (more likely probable) losses to come. If anyone has more links - please post.

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2014/nov...airport-rumor/

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...w-terms-united

At this rate...we will all be forced to fly out of hubs by 2016!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:55 am

Aren't there currently some UA SAN-LAX flights being operated by the CR7?
You're right - looking at the schedule today there is one flight on a CR7 and 10 flights on an EM2. Still a big hole to fill without those planes.

I don't know how to do this but it would be useful to have a wiki of current OO flights that are exclusively operated by EM2s to give us a sense of what we might be losing.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Funny you should ask. There were 4 GAs last night at LAX, in the commuter terminal, sounding like they were talking about the end of service to CLD. I couldn't quite get a handle on why.
Is there a minimum distance that it is practical to fly aq CR2 or CR7? The CLD -LAx route is only 86 miles (the same, curiously as the SFO-SMF route).
Can a CR2 land and take off at CLD?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:05 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saxman66
OO has announced Crescent City, Carlsbad, and Moab, UT, will totally lose service. I also wonder about routes such as SMF-SFO
Shame to see any of those lost. I didn't realize OO had the DEN-CNY (Moab) route; for some reason, I thought that was Great Lakes. Or is it that OO operated SLC-CNY for DL?

Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
Is there a minimum distance that it is practical to fly aq CR2 or CR7? The CLD -LAx route is only 86 miles (the same, curiously as the SFO-SMF route).
I don't know if there's a minimum, but it's definitely significantly more expensive to operate a CR2 (or even a CR7, assuming you can fill it) on a route than an EMB-120. My understanding is that parts for the EMB-120 were getting costlier and harder to come by; the in-flight costs on a per-seat basis were very attractive for routes which needed, say, 2x a day connecting service for a handful of pax.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Loss of CLD will be a bummer for me personally. Not only was it a lot more convenient than SAN, I could get more of a workday in Carlsbad and still get back to ORD without a redeye.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
I don't know how "practical" the CLD-LAX route would be with a RJ, but US used to have a scheduled 757 flying PHL-BWI regularly (90 miles).
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
I'm very sad to see the CLD-LAX route go, even though I only used it a couple of times recently since US left *A. I live about ten minutes from CLD and found the cheap parking and easy access hard to beat.

According to this local article the chamber of commerce representative thinks another airline may step in, but I find that hard to believe: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...g-faa-airline/
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I don't think CLD could be served by a CRJ-200. The runway is short and the lack of leading edge slats mean it needs a fair amount of runway. I don't know if an ERJ would perform better, but nobody is operating those on the west coast anymore since Eagle shifted their LAX 50-seat flying to Skywest.
What I don't understand is California Pacific was going to operate an ERJ-170 fleet out of CLD. Does that have the leading edge slats or whatever needed for short runway performance?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:10 pm

With the retirement of the EMB120s, CLD - LAX service is ending in May:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...g-faa-airline/
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:23 am

I live 10 minutes from CLD & it's heaven. after finding my BMW 6 'accidentally' bashed in @ LAX parking lot after coming home from a longhaul flight then struggling with a 6 &1/2 hour traffic jam ontop, I started using CLD at any/all costs. Such a shame it is going. How is it when CLD was a doublewide trailer we had 3 airlines, now that the population in Carlsbad & vicinity has seemingly doubled & we have a gleaming new shiny terminal... 0.

The staff, TSA, and gate agents were are all top notch, and the rampers awesome too. If any of you are reading this, thank you for all your service, you guys are great

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.