Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is dealing with LHR worth it for an almost all-787 itin ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is dealing with LHR worth it for an almost all-787 itin ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA*G, 1MM
I did a LHR-IAD hop in September and T2 is worlds apart from the old terminal UA used to occupy. And the United Club is probably the best I've been to in the system.

Flew the 788 NRT-DEN about three weeks ago. I've been looking forward to flying the 787 since it was announced ten years ago. On UA it was kinda "meh." Nothing like I was hoping. Thin seats that were comfortable enough (our flight was pretty full and I'm a big, chubby guy), the dimmable windows were cool (I sat in the center 3) and I think I felt better (fresher) because of the lower pressurization, but kinda disappointing after all the hype.

I suspect that the 787 is better on better carriers such as NH.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Originally Posted by onocoffee
I did a LHR-IAD hop in September and T2 is worlds apart from the old terminal UA used to occupy.
More importantly, T2 is worlds apart from the terminals that *A used to occupy. Many of my least favorite travel memories are from T1-T3 (right terminals? I try to forget nightmares) connections at LHR. *A transits at T2 are a dream in comparison.

I'm not sure that I'd rank T2 above FRA for EU-US or US-EU transits, but both are significantly better today than their 2012 versions.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MrOCTeckels
More importantly, T2 is worlds apart from the terminals that *A used to occupy. Many of my least favorite travel memories are from T1-T3 (right terminals? I try to forget nightmares) connections at LHR. *A transits at T2 are a dream in comparison.

I'm not sure that I'd rank T2 above FRA for EU-US or US-EU transits, but both are significantly better today than their 2012 versions.
Second that ... I'd rank it as

MUC
LHR T2
ZRH
FRA
VIE
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
Second that ... I'd rank it as

MUC
LHR T2
ZRH
FRA
VIE
Agreed with that order but the complication comes from the airframe and route choices. In terms of airframes in E+:

UA777
UA767
UA757
UA787
LH380 (no E+)

In terms of routes, avoid the short flight from the East Coast - terrible for sleep and jet lag.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:44 am

37 inch pitch on a 757 vs. usually 34 inch pitch on a 777 in E+. I'm not sure why you'd prefer the 777.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I would rather have 5 connections in FRA than one in LHR...just my opinion.
This would be a great segment run! How do you build a SFO-HAM itinerary that connects through FRA five times?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
37 inch pitch on a 757 vs. usually 34 inch pitch on a 777 in E+. I'm not sure why you'd prefer the 777.
Because the 757 is a small and cramped plane, the seats themselves seem less comfortable and there's no Channel 9.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
This would be a great segment run! How do you build a SFO-HAM itinerary that connects through FRA five times?
Oh I suppose if ypu really wanted to, you could run SFO-FRA-MUC-FRA-DUS-FRA-ZRH-FRA-STR-FRA-HAM lol...of course you have to watch the fare class on the LH flights or risk zero credit....haha
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
So, in the end I passed.
I booked SFO->EWR->HAM last night, going back HAM->AMS->IAH->SFO, all UA code-shared(that was tough. .bomb *REALLY* wants you to take a 4U flight).

It was an intriguing idea but the EWR->HAM flight would put me there first thing on the 27th vs 14:00 going through LHR. I'm going to HAM for a conference and would miss the 1st half-day. The fees for flying into LHR also took more of a chunk out of the PQDs than I was willing to give up.

I'll do the 787 on KIX or MEL sometime next year.
Thanks for chiming in!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by MCLC
Having done E+ on the 787 several times, I'd try pretty hard to pick a route to avoid it. I can only handle those hard seats for a few hours. For 10 hours, it's not so good. In C it's a nice experience.
Agree about the C experience - it's nice! Not that much different than any other pmCO C flight - just a little quieter and the higher air pressure did seem to make a difference - hard to tell.

Still, quieter is not always better: Sort of the like riding the Eurostar train London to Paris: it's so quiet that you can hear every little noise (like snoring!) quite well. I always carry good quality earplugs for sleep
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
So, in the end I passed.
I booked SFO->EWR->HAM last night, going back HAM->AMS->IAH->SFO, all UA code-shared(that was tough. .bomb *REALLY* wants you to take a 4U flight).

It was an intriguing idea but the EWR->HAM flight would put me there first thing on the 27th vs 14:00 going through LHR. I'm going to HAM for a conference and would miss the 1st half-day. The fees for flying into LHR also took more of a chunk out of the PQDs than I was willing to give up.

I'll do the 787 on KIX or MEL sometime next year.
Thanks for chiming in!
Wow. Fly directly into a conference from PT to European Time zone? Good luck with that one.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just a quick plug for Miniatur Wunderland. An amazing use of an hour or two while you're in Hamburg. Beautiful model railroad layouts spread across several floors. The technically minded appreciate the trains; aviation enthusiasts will like their outstanding model airport.

It's in an interesting part of town, not far from the spooky tunnel under the Elbe. Usually open late on weekends.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Looks like OP made up his mind. No qualms with his decision. To the OP regarding the 787: I've flown it on UA, AI and AC, and I generally do not love this aircraft. That said, the first time I flew her, I routed through DEN en route to MNL just so that I could fly the 787 in E+ on the DEN-NRT segment. Like others here, my experience was miserable, and I now avoid the 787 if at all possible unless I know I'll have a seat in C waiting for me.

However, I also understand that YMMV, and it's usually understandable to route in a roundabout manner to snag new aircraft types. I've done it many times. I think the suggestion for the 787 is for you to perhaps try it on a short segment at some point, just to get a feel. If you like it...onward and upward!

Of the three airlines on which I've flown the 787, only AC got it "right" IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.