Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving travel week begins for UA travelers ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Thought I was mistakenly looking at a hub-to-hub flight just now...but I wasn't.

UA1581 SFO-OGG today
47 (forty-seven) stranded on upgrade waitlist! On a Maui flight?!?
15 possible non-revs (15 on standby list)
753 F cabin full w/ 8 lucky upgrades

Update T-1:15 now 57 (!) people on upgrade waitlist for a Maui flight. I've NEVER seen that many on a Maui flight.

Travelling tonight to IAH and day before Thanksgiving IAH-LAX-OGG, a day I swore never to fly again on. Have put particulars in UC meet-up thread for anyone interested in brief refuge from the horror.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 22, 2014 at 5:56 am Reason: modified title to try and keep this UA-focused
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I'm just glad my family is flying to me this year rather than the other way around.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I'm just glad my family is flying to me this year rather than the other way around.
It's definitely a relief not having to travel this week.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
It's definitely a relief not having to travel this week.
But Thanksgiving is next week.

I get to fly Sat the 29th and Wed the 3rd. SFO-SAN-SFO. For work.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'll be travelling cross-country on Wed night and Sun afternoon. Light a candle for me...
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:37 pm

I used to quite enjoy Thanksgiving week travel; nearly always was able to score a VDB. My best: $800 cash from WN for ONT-PHX on Thanksgiving Tuesday followed on Thanksgiving Sunday with 5 US RTs from UA for PHX-DEN; the GA was upset with her employer and kept confirming me on quite overbooked flights. Eventually, I got on a HP flight.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I am flying SAN-LAX-SFO-ANC-ORD-EWR-ROC to pick up miles on the way to the In-laws.....I am thinking TR.

Why wants to take bets on when it goes wrong:
  • ANC
  • ORD
  • EWR
  • When talking to my mother-in-law
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I'll be travelling cross-country on Wed night and Sun afternoon. Light a candle for me...
IAD-SFO on Wednesday night, SFO-IAD on Saturday night.

Safe travels.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:50 pm

I have a fun week. Last minute MSP-ORD-GRR to pick up marriage license on Sunday (long story). Back on Monday, same routing, reversed. Then back to GRR direct on DL Wednesday. Finally back home on Sunday, hopefully all married up if the county clerk doesn't do anything further to try and muck up the whole situation.

At least FCM was in full effect and I got confirmed F on Sunday for only $70 more round trip. Yay?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I remember about 10 years ago having to fly home from YVR Wed. night before thanksgiving. Thanks to my Canadian colleagues for scheduling training and not realizing the holiday. RCC was packed in ORD that evening. ..

Last edited by Cargojon; Nov 21, 2014 at 8:34 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
I am flying SAN-LAX-SFO-ANC-ORD-EWR-ROC to pick up miles on the way to the In-laws.....I am thinking TR.

Why wants to take bets on when it goes wrong:
  • ANC
  • ORD
  • EWR
  • When talking to my mother-in-law
It goes bad at ROC... That's when you leave the joy of the airport and have to deal with "real life." Remember anytime at an airport or on a plane beats anytime not.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I'm flying SA out of JFK on Thursday...not anticipating much of the brouhaha.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
Originally Posted by jacobac00
I have a fun week. Last minute MSP-ORD-GRR to pick up marriage license on Sunday (long story). Back on Monday, same routing, reversed. Then back to GRR direct on DL Wednesday. Finally back home on Sunday, hopefully all married up if the county clerk doesn't do anything further to try and muck up the whole situation.

At least FCM was in full effect and I got confirmed F on Sunday for only $70 more round trip. Yay?
Fun week because of all the flying, or because GETTING MARRIED? Priorities, kids....

And congratulations, BTW.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Indelaware
It goes bad at ROC... That's when you leave the joy of the airport and have to deal with "real life." Remember anytime at an airport or on a plane beats anytime not.
Traveling alone, maybe. Traveling with others, maybe not.

It was eerily quiet Wednesday night at SAN, flying back to SFO. Despite a number of cancellations (WX at SFO, which meant it was drizzling), loads were still light, nobody stressing out. The calm before the storm I guess.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Wed afternoon BOS-IAH looks wide open and I was hoping for a bump. On a P ticket anyway ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.