Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How hard is it for UA to require PQD for members worldwide?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Shhh
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Not hard.

The real purpose of PQD is to direct spending onto UA or UA codeshares/JV instead of partners. If you live in the US, you can almost always find a flight on 016. If you live overseas, you may not be able to book a reasonable fare in 016(united stock) due to a lack of a codeshare from your home airport, etc.

I think UA doesn't want to lose these flyers for some reason, perhaps they buy premium fares, even if not on UA stock?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TENYKS
Changing a check address flag in the code. Very easy.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Changing a check address flag in the code. Very easy.
Well, plus currency conversions at an individual / ticket level when it's priced and purchased in local currency. Yen to dollars, etc. That would take UA 6 months to roll-out, botch at go-live, support & fix.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
I can only assume it isn't practical at the moment due to the issuer of the MP credit cards outside of the USA being different from Chase.

As a UK cardholder (issued by MBNA), we didn't get any bonus miles on sign-up, no bonus miles when booking UA flights with it, and no discount in the club on premium beverages when paying with it.

There is also no choice in the card we hold - there's just one MP card available.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
It's a legal risk issue, folks.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Question should be:
Has Delta done it?

Since the answer is no, United hasnt done it either.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Question should be:
Has Delta done it?

Since the answer is no, United hasnt done it either.
UA doesn't just blindly follow DL. If it will generate more ancillary revenue UA will follow. If it is an improvement or something that will cost UA money (and probably make elites happy) UA will not follow.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Being based in London, I'm often doing short trips to Germany. LH and Germanwings offer sensible fares (eg one I'm doing next month to DUS is £90 return). If I booked that trip through United.com, it prices out to about £1000. If UA forces PQD on me, I'm lost to *A as well as UA. Perhaps that's no big deal in the overall scheme but I would easily satisfy the PQD requirements if they counted in *A spend.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
UA doesn't just blindly follow DL. If it will generate more ancillary revenue UA will follow. If it is an improvement or something that will cost UA money (and probably make elites happy) UA will not follow.
exactly... that's why UA's business class is one of the worst in the business.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Pretty sure this is the answer. :-:
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Interesting, hadn't thought of that...can you provide a brief explanation a non-lawyer like myself could understand? Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
Interesting, hadn't thought of that...can you provide a brief explanation a non-lawyer like myself could understand? Thanks
Yes, I would like to understand too. How is a dollar requirement any different than a have to fly 4 segments on UA metal? A requirement to achieve status is a requirement to achieve status.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johnden
Not hard.
This

The real purpose of PQD is to direct spending onto UA or UA codeshares/JV instead of partners.
While probably a contributing factor, I don't think its the prime reason. The benefits that UA gives costs $. For example, UA elites entering other carrier lounges cost UA real $, putting someone in E+ means they aren't paying for that seat, and if you check a bag and don't have to pay for it, they're also losing out on $. Waived SDC fees, award re-deposit fees, etc. - the list goes on. Don't forget on the 1K side, people potentially forgoing paid business class tickets and buying economy and using a GPU. UA wants to ensure that they are getting a minimum amount of revenue for providing these benefits (and for those who say what about the CC waiver, that revenue make-up is still coming in, just from Chase buying the miles). UA simply doesn't want to give out expensive benefits if they are getting absolute minimal revenue in return. And it makes a lot of sense to me, and is in line with most other types of loyalty programs, which are based on revenue.

I think UA doesn't want to lose these flyers for some reason, perhaps they buy premium fares, even if not on UA stock?

If you live in the US, you can almost always find a flight on 016. If you live overseas, you may not be able to book a reasonable fare in 016(united stock) due to a lack of a codeshare from your home airport, etc.
This I agree with as well. There's a not a choice to fly UA on intra-EU flights, or intra-Asia (well, very, very limited exceptions). But applying PQD would likely lead to losing loyalty on the long-haul's UA wants them on.

Originally Posted by seanp7
Well, plus currency conversions at an individual / ticket level when it's priced and purchased in local currency. Yen to dollars, etc. That would take UA 6 months to roll-out, botch at go-live, support & fix.
Sorry, disagree. UA is already doing conversions from local currency, and especially starting in March, where RDM earned is being changed to by revenue, even for those buying tickets in a foreign currency. When purchased in a foreign currency, RDM will be earned based on the converted $ amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.