Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to find fare rules for united flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to find fare rules for united flights?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AP, MP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Does your ticket start with 016 or 999? If it starts with 016, call UA and ask what your change rules are. If it starts with 999, call CA.
Thanks, it's 999. The problem is that I am at destination and for some reason my voip keeps cutting out every 10 mins or so, and based on my experience I have been on hold with them for half an hour and more...

I will try to email them and see what happens.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by goatee87
I stumbled across one combination where the first leg is deep discount business class, the return is economy flexible. Does this mean I can get the economy flexible leg refunded after I fly the business leg?
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, the most restrictive policy governs the entire ticket. Even if that weren't the case, it would be repriced as a one-way if you tried to refund it anyway.
Sorry to bring up an older topic, but similar question for the scenario where the return leg of a round-trip is flexible, but making a change instead of cancelling.

So even if the outbound has already been flown, and the fare rules on the return leg allow for cancellation/changes without fee, any change fees associated with the outbound fare rules would still have to be paid in order to change the return leg? (I do understand that the overall itinerary would be re-priced)
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by econ
So even if the outbound has already been flown, and the fare rules on the return leg allow for cancellation/changes without fee, any change fees associated with the outbound fare rules would still have to be paid in order to change the return leg?
Yes. The most restrictive rules apply to the entire ticket.

(I do understand that the overall itinerary would be re-priced)
That's likely not correct. Usually you can change return after flying outbound without having to reprice the ticket. So, for example, changing your return date after you've flown the outbound will typically require only a change fee if your fare bucket is available.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. The most restrictive rules apply to the entire ticket.

That's likely not correct. Usually you can change return after flying outbound without having to reprice the ticket. So, for example, changing your return date after you've flown the outbound will typically require only a change fee if your fare bucket is available.
Thanks, good to know. I had assumed the re-pricing to be based on original or last ticketing date, but I guess the overall takeaway is to not combine flexible tickets with non-flexible ones.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I had assumed the re-pricing to be based on original or last ticketing date
Yes that's a different way of saying the same thing. Once you've flown the outbound, if you make a change the ticket will usually "reprice" based on original ticketing date and fares then in effect, which usually means there's no fare differential if your fare bucket is available and you're complying with the fare rules.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Yeah, but why can't we view them after purchase? This drives me NUTS!!!

I just saw an icon to view the fare rules (post purchase) on an itinerary on the manage trips page.

They are all in block letters but divided in a more manageable way to read them more easily than previously.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, a relatively new feature --
see united.com changes - UA Fare Rules now available, after booking, in online itinerary

Will close this thread and re-direct folks to the new thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.