Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - Co-Pay Required for All Mileage-Supported Upgrades on p.s.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 MileagePlus Change - Co-Pay Required for All Mileage-Supported Upgrades on p.s.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dkc715
The copay on PS flights will dramatically reduce the use of MP miles for upgrades and lead to some empty seats upfront.

It becomes more cost effective for elites just to just buy $1K one way BF seats. A one way K fare of $200, plus a $250 copay, plus $400 (the approx value of 20k miles) and you are at $850 for an unconfirmed seat. Plus, by buying the BF seat at $1k versus an economy seat for $200, you get another 8,800 miles under the new earning scheme (11x).

Will also reduce all the 1K's who use their miles for family members to upgrade.

All those critics who say UA can't come up with an original idea, looks like they proved you wrong. Can't believe they couldn't come up with an exception for GS and 1Ks.
If UA is making buying that outright BF fare more attractive, then business sense wise, they're doing something right...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by SF1K
Just glanced thru. Biggest changes:

1. No co-pay waiver for PS upgrades for Premier Members. - not great but not as bad as DL. So hopefully it will make upgrade space easier on those routes??

2. Award travel will no longer carry the status of the person whose miles where used, instead status of person actually traveling. (I think this is a good thing).
Delta upgrades are complimentary on day of departure for DM and PM if space is available.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:38 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
You do understand how a co-pay works? And a waitlist (if necessary)?
I'm sure the prior poster does. You're still committing that money and those miles when the inventory isn't available--and then have to rely on UA's IT to refund them correctly if you don't clear (and meanwhile, you've made an interest-free loan to UA).
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hockey7711
So let's see, I fly 100BIS/$10,000PQD, and I have to pay the same copay as someone who flys once or twice a year.
This could be last last straw for me.
Yea - you have to pay the same airfare too. And higher rates for cash upgrades.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I've yet to ever see any change that has been made that has ever changed the availability of upgrades etc. People say "oh this will thin the ranks" but in reality it won't change a thing except they will sell more day of trip cheap upgrades, but no one will now get upgrades to clear any better. United has approximately ZERO interest in helping you clear your upgrade. Think about it, has the addition of PQD thinned anything out for you ??
Exactly.

Some people are assuming R space will remain static; the reality is it has been steadily decreasing throughout all these negative changes and there is no credible reason to believe that will magically change for the better due to "thinning of the ranks."
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
If the situation is that United thinks it can compete for full fare business tickets on PS routes with an inferior product, all power to them. They are at a quality and price disadvantage. JetBlue at $599 is better and cheaper. Delta and American are just better, not cheaper.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:35 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It's even more economic to pay $599 for a Jet Blue "Mint" seat on these routes, which also has a flat bed seat and, I presume, similar or better service.
If the situation is that United thinks it can compete for full fare business tickets on PS routes with an inferior product, all power to them. They are at a quality and price disadvantage. JetBlue at $599 is better and cheaper. Delta and American are just better, not cheaper.
Believe it or not, those $599 and $799 OW BF fares do pop up once in a while on UA. Either as a discounted fare, or as post-purchase pop-up upgrade.

Originally Posted by cova
I wonder what that means if 1K miles redeemed for non-status family and they need to cancel. Do the redeposit fees apply for non-status or no fee based on coming out of a 1K account?
No redeposit fees- redeposit fees are charged based on the account holder, not traveler.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Think about it, has the addition of PQD thinned anything out for you ??
We won't really know until Feb 1, 2015.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Besides, If I wanted to buy a big seat on the coast to coast flights, I'd pay $599 and do it on Jetblue which offers a significantly better premium product on the route. Being able to redeem miles and upgrade is the only benefit that matter to many. United Airlines trails in most departments compared to the competition, so if I am going to have to pay full price for the products (as opposed to benefiting from my status), then I will pay my money to the one that offers me a good product. United Airlines loses that money more or less every time.
Exactly - B6 Mint and even the new AA 321 service are vastly superior to the tired relic that PS has been turned into - and UA wants to charge extra for something that is barely a foot above domestic F?

Just book B6 Mint and save your money...assuming you can find a seat in Mint because it is selling very well.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Next down the pipeline will be a $250 co pay for all milage upgrades regardless if it's PS or not...Never thought I'd see this day come. What a shame.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
UA is a business. PS waitlist for upgrades are long because many people fly this route and are willing to use RPU/GPU/Mileage Co-pay. Even then, there are folk who buy up at check-in to jump the line. Is there any wonder why UA wouldn't do this? I'm not saying as Premier members we shouldn't be upset that they keep rolling out new changes to devalue the program but I'm not surprised if they can add cashflow.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Huh. Delta is flying angle-flat seats JFK to SFO.

Have you directly compared AA to UA seats, same class of service? I haven't, but everything I read says AA seats are a bit inferior to UA seats in Business, and in Economy Plus. Almost as comfortable, almost as much space, almost as workable an IFE. All of the specific complaints with the AA product don't apply in my experience to the UA product. AA's one edge is fewer people per bathroom in coach. People like AA because they've been getting upgraded, not because the equipment is actually better. Before I bet the bank on switching, are you just talking here?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
The meals on AA are a nice change and the snack basket more inspired, but the AA A321T product is not that much better.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Exactly - B6 Mint and even the new AA 321 service are vastly superior to the tired relic that PS has been turned into - and UA wants to charge extra for something that is barely a foot above domestic F?

Just book B6 Mint and save your money...assuming you can find a seat in Mint because it is selling very well.
Calm down. ps is not barely a foot above domestic F. I do find UA pricing themselves a little high (for BF) in the market though. Especially with greater competition and the availability of comparable products.

Originally Posted by Syzygies
Huh. Delta is flying angle-flat seats JFK to SFO.

Have you directly compared AA to UA seats, same class of service? I haven't, but everything I read says AA seats are a bit inferior to UA seats in Business, and in Economy Plus. Almost as comfortable, almost as much space, almost as workable an IFE. All of the specific complaints with the AA product don't apply in my experience to the UA product. AA's one edge is fewer people per bathroom in coach. People like AA because they've been getting upgraded, not because the equipment is actually better. Before I bet the bank on switching, are you just talking here?
I have (AA J and F), recently and often. AA is nice (not crazy nicer) but the real gem is that upgrades are still easy to secure. At 15k+$75 if you're not an elite and greater than 21 days, you still feel it's worth it. The hardware is practically the same with the tiniest edge to UNITED for comfort. That being said wear shorts. The A321T is a flying sauna.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:56 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnathome
UA is a business. PS waitlist for upgrades are long because many people fly this route and are willing to use RPU/GPU/Mileage Co-pay. Even then, there are folk who buy up at check-in to jump the line. Is there any wonder why UA wouldn't do this? I'm not saying as Premier members we shouldn't be upset that they keep rolling out new changes to devalue the program but I'm not surprised if they can add cashflow.
Well, the buy-up at check-in is UA's way of trying to eat their cake and have it, too.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes

My experience of the AA service was better than the UA service. Food was better, plane felt significantly newer, crew nicer, seats a wash. My experience of the JetBlue service was significantly better than the UA service. EVERYTHING on all levels was better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.