Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - Reduction in luggage allowance for Premier Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 MileagePlus Change - Reduction in luggage allowance for Premier Gold

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA [Gold]
Thumbs down

I'll drop to Gold next year so this actually does affect me. Is United ever going to stop "announcing" these cuts in every aspect of their business? Just once I would like to come to Flyertalk and read about even a singular, marginal improvement they are making to our flying experience. And keeping a previous benefit in place does not count as an improvement, no matter how hard they want it to. This is getting so ridiculous I can hardly stand it.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by briank1973
I wonder if the rule would affect an international itinerary on a day where only domestic travel occurred. For example, let's say I have the following ticket: MEL-LAX-EWR (stoppover) - IAH (stoppover) - LAX - MEL. Clearly on the MEL-LAX-EWR and the IAH-LAX-MEL days, a Gold would be allowed 3 bags. But what about on the EWR-IAH segment which occurs on a day where it's only domestic travel? The whole ticket is in "international itinerary".

The problem here would be that if you took 3 bags initially, the EWR-IAH segment would effectively be a "bag bottleneck" if it was limited to two.

Thoughts?
Per DoT regs, your baggage allowance should be uniform on all portions of a single ticket (or conjunctive tickets).
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Nothing about UA surprises me any more except the sneakiness of these policy changes.
+1
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by kale73
It would take about 50,000,000 RDM and (guaranteed c. 2008) lifetime GS status for me to take UA Insider's job.
Why?

It's not terribly difficult to report bad news and then completely ignore further questions/comments from the negatively affected frequent flyers.

Greg
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by BearX220
Nothing about UA surprises me any more except the sneakiness of these policy changes.
While I am not a Gold, I must +1 to this comment. ^
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Another change I am going to like /sarc.

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
They continue to chip away. I don't do three bags, but I'm sure we'll be losing our 70 lbs at some point, and that will hurt me. I've learned to expect less and less from the "friendly" skies and shop around more.
Agree. But you should be shopping around already. The only reason to fly UA is for the E+ seats and EQM (assuming you want or need them) and CPUs (which I never see as a 1K @SFO)

Originally Posted by ACVBear
I have never checked 3 bags, so I don't actually think this is a problem per se (plus I'm going to hit Plat for next year)... but it is just a further devaluation - next time plats will lose a bag, then 1ks...

they just keep chipping away
Concur. I never check 3 bags for myself (I never check any on business trips) but sometimes my family checks 3 when we are going on vacation for a week. As a 1K I just checked them all under my name, but not sure how I will handle that when I temporarily drop to Gold or (gasp) Silver.

Looks like bag fee waivers have completely disappeared for Silver (maybe not new I just never noticed). Maybe I will get the Chase card. Or more likely, just book the cheaper fare/better product elsewhere.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:43 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Devils advocate question here: back in the 90s, when (2) bags up to 50 lbs were free, was there (I don't think there was but could be wrong) a waiver for bags 51-70 lbs or for a 3rd piece?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by fastair
Devils advocate question here: back in the 90s, when (2) bags up to 50 lbs were free, was there (I don't think there was but could be wrong) a waiver for bags 51-70 lbs or for a 3rd piece?
Back in the nineties everybody got two free bags up to 70 lbs.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:22 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by bmr12
Back in the nineties everybody got two free bags up to 70 lbs.
My co-worker agrees with you. It was 70, then 50. He started early 90s, I started mid to late 90s.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Ignorance of the rules is no excuse.
Actually while there is a presumption that people know the law as promulgated by the government, that presumption does not extend to private parties.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Actually while there is a presumption that people know the law as promulgated by the government, that presumption does not extend to private parties.
Failure to read a contract is not a defense to its terms. You don't have to read the UA CoC to be bound by them.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Wow. Until Copa's departure was announced, I had planned to remain Gold next year on M+. I have learned to never say never, but I certainly don't see any place for UA in any future travel plans for me unless I happen to have a flight where they are the cheapest/most convenient in 2015 while I am still 1K.

I live in Latin America, and I always bring back three full bags of stuff I can't buy down here (or stuff that's way over priced here), so that means that I almost always lug around three bags on my domestic flights, too. Two are almost always empty until my return flight home.

The MMs down here who have earned this lifetime status are really taking another hit. If I were staying, I would be furious. Since I am not, I'm now just having my decision to move on affirmed yet again.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by briank1973
I wonder if the rule would affect an international itinerary on a day where only domestic travel occurred. For example, let's say I have the following ticket: MEL-LAX-EWR (stoppover) - IAH (stoppover) - LAX - MEL. Clearly on the MEL-LAX-EWR and the IAH-LAX-MEL days, a Gold would be allowed 3 bags. But what about on the EWR-IAH segment which occurs on a day where it's only domestic travel? The whole ticket is in "international itinerary".

The problem here would be that if you took 3 bags initially, the EWR-IAH segment would effectively be a "bag bottleneck" if it was limited to two.

Thoughts?
It should be 3 bags in consideration of the intercontinental segment as part of your itinerary. However, it is an interesting question - would like to see how they interpret it.

Just for everyone's information, the max free baggage allowed earlier by UA was 3 bags for 1K on a BusinessFirst itinerary.

However, now I was pricing an intercontinental ticket in GlobalFirst (really wanted only the BF ticket), and then used the baggage calculator as a 1K to see what would be the allowance, and it now states that 4 bags are free. This is in line with LH/LX's First Class allowances. Not sure if this was the case with UA earlier...if so, then this is a real enhancement!

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Nov 21, 2014 at 9:16 am
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
When I moved across country, I checked three bags and needed the carryon allowance.

More changes we will like. What's that logo ....friendly.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
When I moved across country, I checked three bags and needed the carryon allowance.
Ditto. It's been incredibly rare that as a plat (and gold next year) that I've ever needed 3 bags, but I've very much appreciated it the few times I did. I always thought...gosh, United is good to me letting me check 3 bags.

Here's when I also might need it...now that award tickets don't inherit status, if I fly on a revenue ticket and my companion flies on an award ticket, it's a big change. The combined free baggage will go from 6 bags to 2!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.