Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Smisek on CNBC this morning [Nov 18, 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000331130

"Continental would have been out of business by now..."
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by hockey7711

He's probably right. There is a lot of evidence that CO would not have survived as a standalone entity in an era of consolidated super-carriers. The same can likely be said of UA, as well, but a future without a merger (CO or US) was never really contemplated under Tilton's watch. UA+US probably would have done reasonably well, too, but it would have left CO+AA as the only dancers left on the floor, which undoubtedly would have resulted in some unprecedented divestitures.

It's an interesting alternative to ponder.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador

Later in the interview when asked to clarify that comment he said that CO would have been marginalized due to the vast route networks assembled by DAL and AA. He said that CO would NOT be out of business today.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by RealFan
Later in the interview when asked to clarify that comment he said that CO would have been marginalized due to the vast route networks assembled by DAL and AA. He said that CO would NOT be out of business today.
But Smisek says "We (CO) would not be around today" and then later says CO would have been marginalized.

There is no clarifying a comment "We would not be around today" to we would have been marginalized.

So he talks out both ends even when participating in a round table.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by planeluvr
But Smisek says "We (CO) would not be around today" and then later says CO would have been marginalized.

There is no clarifying a comment "We would not be around today" to we would have been marginalized.

So he talks out both ends even when participating in a round table.
No, he properly clarified. The CNBC host gave him the opportunity when she said "Jeff, would CO really be gone today?" and Jeff said that no but that CO would have been marginalized.

Picking on this is much ado about nothing. He is simply trying to say that any airline with a limited route structure would be unable to compete with airlines that have global route structures.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by RealFan
No, he properly clarified. The CNBC host gave him the opportunity when she said "Jeff, would CO really be gone today?" and Jeff said that no but that CO would have been marginalized.

Picking on this is much ado about nothing. He is simply trying to say that any airline with a limited route structure would be unable to compete with airlines that have global route structures.
So a CEO says and I quote, "If we had stayed alone as the old Continental, we would not be around today", means they would be a marginal player. Great communication skills run throughout UA.

No, Smisek had a narrative he wanted to follow and even then failed.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by planeluvr
So a CEO says and I quote, "If we had stayed alone as the old Continental, we would not be around today", means they would be a marginal player. Great communication skills run throughout UA.

No, Smisek had a narrative he wanted to follow and even then failed.
Yes, that's what he said and then when asked to clarify he commented that "not being around" means not being relevant due to the lack of a global route structure.

I'm not defending Smisek's policies and he may or may not be a good CEO but his comments about CO were consistent about overall industry consolidation.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Admitted that elite flyers out of hubs don't see the benefits that less elite-heavy place do. I kinda like that a lot of the discussion centered on too much carry-on, huge Group 1s, and less than desired elite experiences vs the financial side.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:26 am

That would have been a preferable outcome to what ended up happening.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
What he said is true. CO was on a downslide and would be in Chapter 11 by now. I hope people realize UA saved CO.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
What he said is true. CO was on a downslide and would be in Chapter 11 by now. I hope people realize UA saved CO.
Neither had particularly good prospects for long-term viability without a merger partner. CO just would have been marginalized a lot quicker than UA.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by EWR764
Neither had particularly good prospects for long-term viability without a merger partner. CO just would have been marginalized a lot quicker than UA.
I disagree. UA and US would've merged. CO was losing money while UA was turning a profit. CO would've gone Chapter 11.

CO would've probably been picked up by DL.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Does anyone else find "$mi$ek" nearly as annoying as the man himself?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:21 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Does anyone else find "$mi$ek" nearly as annoying as the man himself?
Nope.

Smisek the man is much more annoying that the stylized "$mi$ek". Then again, I don't care much for people with giant egos, especially ones that tell me what I'm supposed to like and how great everything is every time I step on a UA aircraft.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:35 pm
Suspended

$mi$ek on CNBC this morning

Smisek should run for Congress. He belongs in DC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.