Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Does UA allow to check bags to the final destination in two separate reservations. The first one is XXX-ORD in UA ( domestic ) which I would have 2 pieces and pay for the second piece that is not included in my ticket and the second one is ORD-WAW-IST in LOT which has minimum 2 free pieces for *G. Would the United representatives in XXX be able to check my bags all the way through or they would kindly ask me to reclaim my bags at ORD. I am Star Gold in another airline than United so I would check my bags in the Premier Check-in area.
Yes, you should be able to check the bags all the way through. Allow a little bit of extra time for the agent to do it.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Yes, you should be able to check the bags all the way through. Allow a little bit of extra time for the agent to do it.
However, there are recent reports that agents may refuse to do this if the first itinerary is Basic Economy (no changes / no seat selection / etc.)
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Originally Posted by jsloan
However, there are recent reports that agents may refuse to do this if the first itinerary is Basic Economy (no changes / no seat selection / etc.)
Thank you both for answering really quick, I am planning to pay the extra $30 charge between BE and Regular Economy to get my free 1pc Star Gold bag allowance and a free carry on.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thank you both for answering really quick, I am planning to pay the extra $30 charge between BE and Regular Economy to get my free 1pc Star Gold bag allowance and a free carry on.
As *G, you would still get the bag allowance and free carry on even if you purchased BE. What you wouldn't get is free seat selection or the ability to make changes to your reservation (such as standing by for an earlier flight).

The question remains: how long is your planned layover in SFO? Traveling on separate tickets is risky, Basic Economy or otherwise, because if the UA flight is delayed and you no-show, SQ may cancel your ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
As *G, you would still get the bag allowance and free carry on even if you purchased BE. What you wouldn't get is free seat selection or the ability to make changes to your reservation (such as standing by for an earlier flight).

The question remains: how long is your planned layover in SFO? Traveling on separate tickets is risky, Basic Economy or otherwise, because if the UA flight is delayed and you no-show, SQ may cancel your ticket.
I am planning to stay 4-5 hours in ORD ( not SFO ) to not risk anything. The second airline is not SQ, it's LOT. The reason I am willing to take a longer connection is also allowing extra time to transfer from T1 to T5 and try the Polaris Lounge if I decide to pay Business for the transatlantic leg by paying €150 extra than the PE fare.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I booked two separate reservations. One award flight on UA from LGA-ORD (using MP miles) and the next award flight on NH from ORD-NRT (using LM).

Am I able to check my bag through from LGA-NRT or will I need to get it from baggage claim in ORD and recheck it?

Optimist it can go through based on *A carriers.

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
I booked two separate reservations. One award flight on UA from LGA-ORD (using MP miles) and the next award flight on NH from ORD-NRT (using LM).

Am I able to check my bag through from LGA-NRT ...
yes

Allow some extra time while checking-in

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 2019 at 6:43 pm Reason: extra time
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:16 pm

Two PNRs: First segment: Booked UA award ticket economy PDX-SFO. Five (5) hour layover in SFO (want to enjoy the new Polaris lounge) Second segment: SFO-ZRH on LX in J (business) on Avianca award ticket. Same day flights. I don't have any UA status. Called UA to ask about baggage fee for the PDX-SEA segment and interlining. Agent said since trip itinerary overall was international checking the bag through from UA to ZRH would be $100.00. Can this be correct? I know the rules on UA's website state that the originating marketing carriers baggage rules apply. On LX J award I'm allowed 2 x 50lb bags for free. But now I'll end up paying $200.00. Warning to all: Try to book on one PNR.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by loopflyer
...Warning to all: Try to book on one PNR.
No need to make this blanket statement. Your experience does not mean there aren't scenarios where separate tickets aren't useful.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Two PNRs: First segment: Booked UA award ticket economy PDX-SFO. Five (5) hour layover in SFO (want to enjoy the new Polaris lounge) Second segment: SFO-ZRH on LX in J (business) on Avianca award ticket. Same day flights. I don't have any UA status. Called UA to ask about baggage fee for the PDX-SEA segment and interlining. Agent said since trip itinerary overall was international checking the bag through from UA to ZRH would be $100.00. Can this be correct? .....
If checked-thru, UA will generally honor the business class booking and provide a business class bag allowance. YMMV

Unfortunately, phone booking agents are not familiar with airport practices in a corner case like this.

After you fly, report on the actual outcome.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Called UA to ask about baggage fee for the PDX-SEA segment and interlining. Agent said since trip itinerary overall was international checking the bag through from UA to ZRH would be $100.00. Can this be correct?
I'm not sure that's correct. UA phone agents are pretty worthless for these sorts of questions. Their primary job is booking tickets.

I would push for the domestic pricing at check-in. They might even give it to you free.
Warning to all: Try to book on one PNR.
That's always true, but for IRROPS protection. On a route like PDX-SFO, no same day connection is 100% safe on separate tix.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agent said since trip itinerary overall was international checking the bag through from UA to ZRH would be $100.00. Can this be correct? I know the rules on UA's website state that the originating marketing carriers baggage rules apply. On LX J award I'm allowed 2 x 50lb bags for free. But now I'll end up paying $200.00. Warning to all: Try to book on one PNR.
$100 for the second bag on the outbound flight could be correct. $0 could also be correct, as could a total of $70. (My guess would be $0, but not for the reason you state). None of these would really surprise me, as there aren't any rules for what you're trying to do.

The originating marketing carrier is UA, because you're trying to check bags in with UA on a UA-coded flight (PDX-SFO). Therefore, they could charge $70, as that's the cost for two domestic bags. However, what happens when they interline, IME, is that the computer will treat the itinerary as a single trip (because, in order to interline the bags, they add a dummy segment to your PNR to cover the connecting flight(s)). If they were to put SFO-ZRH onto your reservation in economy, the computer would tell them to charge $0+$100 for two bags. However, if they were to put SFO-ZRH in business into the reservation, which is what I expect, the computer will likely spit out an allowance of two free bags.

None of this is going to affect your return flight, though; there, it'll be up to LX what, if anything, to charge; my guess would be $0.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, WN A+
Booked two separate tickets: One from ZQN-AKL-SFO and SFO-MCI. Had Economy seat on NZ on first leg and Business on UA. Second Ticket was economy with CPU.
Per advice in the forum, we arrived at the counter early in ZQN on Wednesday and asked to check one bag all the way through to MCI. The first agent was confused and got a supervisor who understood what I wanted and was able to make some adjustments in the reservation. I think the whole process took about 15-20 minutes. The agent did some good work and finally got the tag printed. No charge and no issue besides the time it took relative to a normal bag tag.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:57 pm

Thank you for your reply. I will hope and cross my fingers at check-in. Hope meaning the agent is competent and fingers in that the outcome is zero for the bags.

Thank you for your reply. A year back I had two PNRs on Air Canada. First one was a paid economy segment, the other was a award J ticket. At check in the nice agent said that since I was flying J onward connection there would be no bag charge. Of course I was mindful that both segments were on Air Canada, but I think it would have been the same outcome if any Star Alliance carrier. Hopefully things will work out with UA and I will indeed report the results - in late April.

P.S. The reason for two PNRs is that in booking award tickets, especially with Avianca Lifemiles, it's often the case I have to buy a positioning ticket to the gateway. Such is my current situation and the one with Air Canada.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 31, 2019 at 5:21 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by MHDFLYER
Booked two separate tickets: One from ZQN-AKL-SFO and SFO-MCI. Had Economy seat on NZ on first leg and Business on UA. Second Ticket was economy with CPU.
Per advice in the forum, we arrived at the counter early in ZQN on Wednesday and asked to check one bag all the way through to MCI. The first agent was confused and got a supervisor who understood what I wanted and was able to make some adjustments in the reservation. I think the whole process took about 15-20 minutes. The agent did some good work and finally got the tag printed. No charge and no issue besides the time it took relative to a normal bag tag.
Could you comment on the degree that the bag was through checked? For instance, did you need to re-check your bag at AKL for your SFO bound flight? I'm guessing you needed to re-check bags at SFO due to US Customs.

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.