Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Correct answer.

On separate tickets, UA will only interline to *A carriers.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA
Hah. Great service by the admin to move the post to the right thread. I didn't even knew the word "interlining", so no chance to find this by searching ;-)

I didn't specifically ask the 1k agent for the same case with different airlines, but it seems then as if the answer would only be correct for EW (but not LH). Even though of course there is some special UA/EW deal (as in i do get into lounges and i think i also score miles on those flights). And i guess i couldn't even have bought a single UA/EW ticket too.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by te36
And i guess i couldn't even have bought a single UA/EW ticket too.
You certainly can purchase a single UA/EW ticket. It just may have been much more expensive to do it that way.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by te36
Also not sure if it would have even been possible to book UA and EW on the same ticket.
Just FYI, UA even codeshares with EW on many routes (including your flight).
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Flying Blue Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriot Plat (TWA / NWA - million miler)
I have had recent experience of interlining on separate tickets between UA and KLM. Both officially say no, but both did it on recent return trip to Europe through AMS. I was traveling in Business class on all the flights. Separate tickets each purchased directly through the respective airlines. (1K on UA, Platinum for Life on KLM)

In each direction, i had planned to need to recover bags and re-check. I am not sure if it was because of the class of ticket, FF status, just a nice check in agent, or something else.

Do not use my experience as anything other, than if you ask nicely you may get a small surprise.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:56 pm

Got an ORD-LAX ticket and an LAX-NRT ticket, two PNRs. I'm wondering:
1. if I would be charged a bag fee when I thru-check at ORD.
2. if I enjoy *A Gold benefits of free checked luggage on ORD-LAX, can I earn miles on ANA account from LAX-NRT flight after I thru-checked my baggage? seems united thru-checked my bag by linking two trips together, and I don't know if they would combine the frequent flyer number together.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by onthesam
Correct answer.

On separate tickets, UA will only interline to *A carriers.
Since I am flying UA SFO-AKL then ANZ AKL-Wellington, I guess it would be OK? But what about customs when arriving AKL? Do I need to collect my bag and check them back in anyway?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DFWFairy

Since I am flying UA SFO-AKL then ANZ AKL-Wellington, I guess it would be OK? But what about customs when arriving AKL? Do I need to collect my bag and check them back in anyway?
Yes.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
You'll still want it (them) tagged through to Wellington at SFO. Then it'll be a bag drop at AKL, not a bag check. You may be subject to (applicable) ANZ bag charge on a separate ticket if you don't tag it through at SFO.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:23 pm

United just replied me with the following answers.

​@united: Thank you. As long as both of your tickets were booked with United, your bags are accepted for through check to final destination on your second ticket. That said, you will follow the baggage allowance on your flight from Los Angeles to Tokyo. Please let us know if you need further assistance, we'd be happy to help.

​@united: You are allowed to check in up to two bags for free to fly from Los Angeles to Tokyo. The same baggage allowance will apply to your flight from Chicago to Los Angeles, if you're going to book a United Standard Economy ticket. Also, please make sure that your lay-over in Los Angeles will not exceed 12 hours. ^LB​​​​​​
So, if both ticket are booked w/ united the bag rules seems to follow the sector with highest bag allowance.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Great to know, thanks a bunch!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:56 am

baggage transfer question

will united check baggage through connecting on cathay pacific?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 14, 2019 at 7:03 am Reason: merged with master thread
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
on a single itinerary yes, they will interline your bags
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
On separate itineraries - with CX - the answer would be no ...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 14, 2019 at 7:04 am Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Connecting flight on Air France

Later this week, I will be flying from SFO to Paris Charles de Gaulle, and connecting to an Air France flight to Casablanca, which I separately booked with Air France. Will United check my bag through to Casablanca on the Air France flight, or will I need to retrieve my luggage at CDG and have to re-check it to Casablanca? I only have a 2+ hour layover in Paris, so I'm worried I might not have enough time to make the connection if I have to go through immigration, retrieve my luggage, and recheck it onto the Air France flight.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2019 at 6:55 pm Reason: moved to consoldiated thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.