Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:22 am

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

I have a ANA stock ticket: CMH-ORD-HND-BKK (CMH-ORD domestic w/ United and the rest with ANA) and a separate BKK-RGN United award ticket on Thai Airways. Will UA check-in agent in CMH thru-check to RGN? It's a daytime connection of 2hr5min. Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by zerorain
I have a ANA stock ticket: CMH-ORD-HND-BKK (CMH-ORD domestic w/ United and the rest with ANA) and a separate BKK-RGN United award ticket on Thai Airways. Will UA check-in agent in CMH thru-check to RGN? It's a daytime connection of 2hr5min. Thanks!
Technically it can be done if the agent has advanced SHARES knowledge. However if the agent in CMH has problems, see if you can have your bag checked to ORD instead. As NH uses Amadeus Altea as their check in system, it is very easy for the agent as it is an intuitive graphical interface for them as opposed to UA’s SHARES which is harder to use.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I have a confusing itinerary on 2 tickets. CLE-ORD on UA, ORD-IST on TK, and IST-AMM on RJ. Same in reverse. I am checking 2 bags. I know UA and TK are *A, but RJ is 1 World, but has a codeshare with TK. The UA flights are 1 ticket and the TK and RJ are on a TK ticket. The reservations show all of the flights, however. Do I need to recheck bags at all either way (other than CBP checks back in ORD)? It was ticketed this way by a travel agency to save $1,000+.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by trmbn65
I have a confusing itinerary on 2 tickets. CLE-ORD on UA, ORD-IST on TK, and IST-AMM on RJ. Same in reverse. I am checking 2 bags. I know UA and TK are *A, but RJ is 1 World, but has a codeshare with TK. The UA flights are 1 ticket and the TK and RJ are on a TK ticket. The reservations show all of the flights, however. Do I need to recheck bags at all either way (other than CBP checks back in ORD)? It was ticketed this way by a travel agency to save $1,000+.
First, I hope you have a significant buffer between the TK and UA flights in each direction. Separate tickets alone are their own risk and require careful planning. Is it on one PNR or they truly two separate tickets? This gets to the heart of the issue, who is responsible in case of irrops.
Then as separate tickets, the bag allowance may be different on the return

On the outboard, UA has a bag interline agreement with TK but not RJ -- but as UA will interline to TK, I think this will work.

On the return, the bag allowance and the interlining is up to RJ and their policies -- have no idea what those are but it is out of UA's hands.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
First, I hope you have a significant buffer between the TK and UA flights in each direction. Separate tickets alone are their own risk and require careful planning. Is it on one PNR or they truly two separate tickets? This gets to the heart of the issue, who is responsible in case of irrops.
Then as separate tickets, the bag allowance may be different on the return

On the outboard, UA has a bag interline agreement with TK but not RJ -- but as UA will interline to TK, I think this will work.

On the return, the bag allowance and the interlining is up to RJ and their policies -- have no idea what those are but it is out of UA's hands.
I have a 3 hour layover in O'Hare on the way there, and 1.5 hours on the way back. Since I am in business class on all legs, I get 2 bags anyway. I just didn't know TK and RJ had an interline agreement since they are in different alliances, but they do have a codeshare. It was booked on 2 tickets. I can see all the flights in my United account and by entering the TK ticket number on TK's website. But when I view the United receipt, it only shows the United flights.

UA probably can't issue the RJ boarding pass, but TK reissues boarding passes from UA or AA at ORD on their own flights, so I'm assuming they'll give me the RJ boarding pass.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I just didn't know TK and RJ had an interline agreement since they are in different alliances, but they do have a codeshare. ...
ExpertFlyer reports that TK/RJ have a ticketing and bag interline agreement

... UA probably can't issue the RJ boarding pass, ....
Given separate tickets, I doubt UA will be able to provide the TK BP. Hope you have a TK app and at least you can check-in online and then go to the gate to get the BP.

Note you will have to change terminals at ORD, T3 to T5
give this thread a read, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-2019-a.html
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:31 pm

ExpertFlyer reports that TK/RJ have a ticketing and bag interline agreement

Given separate tickets, I doubt UA will be able to provide the TK BP. Hope you have a TK app and at least you can check-in online and then go to the gate to get the BP.

Note you will have to change terminals at ORD, T3 to T5
give this thread a read, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-2019-a.html
Thanks. I'm hoping to get a BP to take the bus since I plan on spending most of the 3 hour layover in the Polaris Lounge. Guess I'll find out. Done it before for this TK flight, and I felt like I was on another planet from T5. Took over 30 minutes to get from the lounge to T5.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
UA cannot check a bag UA-TK-RJ if they do not have an interline agreement with RJ. The initial checking carrier must have an interline agreement with all downline carriers to check the bag, in addition to each downline carrier having an interline agreement with the preceding carrier.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
UA cannot check a bag UA-TK-RJ if they do not have an interline agreement with RJ. The initial checking carrier must have an interline agreement with all downline carriers to check the bag, in addition to each downline carrier having an interline agreement with the preceding carrier.
Can OP check the bag with UA CLE-ORD-IST on UA/TK... then go to the gate at ORD and have TK recheck the bag ORD-IST-AMM on TK/RJ?

QR does something like that... Even though MH/QR interline, when MH checks a bag through on QR flights, QR will redo the bag tags at the first QR flight and they will add additional partners they interline with.
(I realize different airlines/alliances, but as you know a bit more about this, wondering if it is a relatively common practice.)

Just a thought.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct for an RJ-coded flight. Not correct for a TK-coded flight. As far as the interline agreement goes, it’s just a UA-TK interline. The codeshare is TK’s problem, not UA’s.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:13 am

Update on this as I just got back. UA could only check to IST. So I had them remove IST and reclaim at ORD since I believe you need to go through immigration at IST to claim bags, and I don't have a Turkish Visa. Rechecking on TK in T5 at ORD wasn't an issue, but was a pain to lug luggage across the airport. TK also couldn't issue the RJ BP, so I had to get it at IST in the international arrivals area. They also checked the bags to ensure they would make it to AMM. This was a pain as flights from the US who are connecting to another international destination do not need to go through their TSA, but since I didn't have a BP, I did. So, I am seriously going to fire this travel agent, although this booking did save a stack of change.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Had two separate reservations going from NRT-ORD-IAD then a separate ticket from IAD-BOS. Was easily able to check my bag all the way thru to BOS via a UA agent at NRT. Only took a few extra minutes. Unfortunately, my BOS flight was cancelled so getting my bag at IAD took a little extra effort.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update on this as I just got back. UA could only check to IST. So I had them remove IST and reclaim at ORD since I believe you need to go through immigration at IST to claim bags, and I don't have a Turkish Visa.
Thanks for the update, and sorry about the inconvenience.

Did the UA agent give a reason for only being able to check to IST? Did they blame the fact that your final leg was operated by RJ? I'm honestly surprised by this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Thanks for the update, and sorry about the inconvenience.

Did the UA agent give a reason for only being able to check to IST? Did they blame the fact that your final leg was operated by RJ? I'm honestly surprised by this.
They primarily blamed the final leg being operated by RJ. They also said that since it was booked on 2 tickets, that complicated matters. I don't believe you can book RJ flights on a UA ticket, though. The agent told me not to let them do this again because something will get screwed up. They also wouldn't let me check-in online, presumably because of the complexity.

Another interesting note: on the return, my UA BP didn't say INTL, so I didn't have lounge access.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA
Rules for checking through luggage ?

Pretty sure i would find the answer from pre-existing threads if the search options on this site where easier/better. So please excuse repetition. Hopefully an admin quickly find the right thread where this needs to go into *sigh*

UA SFO->LHR and booked a separate ticket on EuroWings LHR->HAM.
Called up UA and asked if its possible to check through luggage, and answer from 1k desk was: No, only if booked on the same ticket.

Is that the correct answer ? i thought i'd read different answers in the past, but can't remember. Also not sure if it would have even been possible to book UA and EW on the same ticket. Last time i did this route there wasn't even EW but LH serving LHR/HAM, so likely the rules back then where different anyhow.

Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2019 at 9:01 pm Reason: moved to master thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.