Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rawilliam
I was thinking that the bags would be checked through, so I would not have to clear customs to check the bags. Perhaps LHR is not the place to do this. ...
if a true LH operated flight, it will

Originally Posted by rawilliam
Incidentally, the LH fare turned out to be an economy light fare. ...
On the return, that could be a problem. Not sure LH will check thru t the bags to UA and the bag allowance on LH (even on non-light fares and as an elite) will be a problem.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
Where did you hear this if I may ask? It most certainly applies! No free checked bags on LH on light fares!
UA 1Ks will get 3 free bags when checking in with UA on any fare, including a TATL Light fare offered by LH.

When checking in with LH, all bets are off.

I apologize if I was unclear originally.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA 1Ks will get 3 free bags when checking in with UA on any fare, including a TATL Light fare offered by LH.
Yes, but we're talking about interlining across tickets. The DOT rule only applies on a single ticket.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA, AE
Thanks,everything is clear. Remember, DOT rules only apply to the base baggage permitted and says nothing about FF luggage benefits, which is always determined by the operating carrier at check-in.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Continental
I was recently able to check a bag from sfo to mad to fra on United, and through to lcg on Iberia.
The sfo-fra was on a UA stock ticket and the mad-lcg was on an Iberia ticket.
Upon check in at the 1K polaris desk, we showed the the Iberia itinerary.
It took a lot of keystrokes, but the agent did it.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hockey7711
I was recently able to check a bag from sfo to mad to fra on United, and through to lcg on Iberia.
The sfo-fra was on a UA stock ticket and the mad-lcg was on an Iberia ticket.
Upon check in at the 1K polaris desk, we showed the the Iberia itinerary.
It took a lot of keystrokes, but the agent did it.
Yes it can be done and there have been occasional reports that UA will do this for 1K/ GS, YMMV

what happened on the return?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Continental
I carried the bag on IB and also on LH to FRA, stopped over for a night then checked it FRA to SFO.
MY brother who will be coming back in a couple of weeks, will carry the bag on the IB flight, then check it at MAD back to SFO, if they let him. He is UA gold. Otherwise will have to carry to FRA then check it to SFO.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:45 pm

Anyone have recent experience with success stories of agent checking bags all the way through to OGG with HA connection in HNL? Separate tickets (EWR-HNL-OGG) but GS...and not sure if it matters but ticket in First on the HA HNL-OGG leg and Business UA EWR-HNL.

Last edited by gholly; Sep 5, 2018 at 2:46 pm Reason: ETA
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is there a bag fee on through checked bags separate tickets, all UA flights?

I have tentatively booked PPT-SFO one way in March on UA for $245.

I want to continue immediately on to Las Vegas.

There's a connecting SFO-LAS flight on UA 3 hours later that prices at $140 on UA.com.

I am still within the window to cancel and rebook all of this as a single itinerary, but the UA price for PPT-SFO-LAS is $610 for some reason, not $245 + $140 = $385. Buying separate tickets saves me $235, it seems.

I will have one regular sized checked bag. No bag fee on the international flight. A UA phone rep tells me that my bag will be through checked on UA separate tickets, but that I will have to pay a $30 bag fee in San Francisco after I clear customs and re-check my bag. Is that right? Do they collect bags fees in the transit re-check zone? Or will my boarding pass "beep" at the gate and the fee will be assessed there?

Or was the phone rep wrong about the fee?

Is there any way to book the $245 UA flight + $140 UA flight on a single reservation for $385, not $610?

Last edited by jphripjah; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:00 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I am still within the window to cancel and rebook all of this as a single itinerary, but the UA price for PPT-SFO-LAS is $610 for some reason, not $245 + $140 = $385. Buying separate tickets saves me $235, it seems.
That's common.

I will have one regular sized checked bag. No bag fee on the international flight. A UA phone rep tells me that my bag will be through checked on UA separate tickets, but that I will have to pay a $30 bag fee in San Francisco after I clear customs and re-check my bag. Is that right? Do they collect bags fees in the transit re-check zone?
I've never seen anyone pay a bag fee at the recheck zone. I suppose it's theoretically possible, but they normally just scan the bags and have you put them onto the conveyor. There's no way that you'd have to pay at the gate.

Is there any way to book the $245 UA flight + $140 UA flight on a single reservation for $385, not $610?
Likely not, though you could try multi-city search.

A bit of perspective though -- even if you do have to pay the $30, it's still a gigantic discount and a heck of a price.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...A UA phone rep tells me that my bag will be through checked on UA separate tickets, but that I will have to pay a $30 bag fee in San Francisco after I clear customs and re-check my bag. Is that right? Do they collect bags fees in the transit re-check zone?..
Doesn't make sense. IF agent checks bag through to LAS from PPT, the bag will have LAS marked as destination. You'll then drop it at re-check between popping out of customs/immigration and heading toward TSA. They won't ask for money if it's already been tagged to LAS.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
A UA phone rep tells me that my bag will be through checked on UA separate tickets
I wouldn't be surprised at a station like PPT they won't know how to tag the bag all the way to LAS........

And if the LAS flight ends up full when you depart PPT, the hoops they will have to go thru to tag the bag all the thru is almost certainly over their head.....
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jsloan

A bit of perspective though -- even if you do have to pay the $30, it's still a gigantic discount and a heck of a price.

Yeah, $245 for 8 hours on the dreamliner from PPT-SFO is a very good price. $140 for the 1.5 hour connection to LAS is not as good, and I'm weighing it against other domestic flights. There's a $65 flight to LAS on Alaska Airlines 2 hours and 5 minutes after I land in SFO, but for some reason no online website will combine that AS flight with the UA flight, even though I thought that would be a legal connection. So I can't get that back checked through and might miss the connection if I have to go to the check in desk, pay the $25, etc. Paying $50 more to keep everything on UA and have a 3 hour connection instead of 2 seems to make more sense.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

And if the LAS flight ends up full when you depart PPT, the hoops they will have to go thru to tag the bag all the thru is almost certainly over their head.....
I'm not sure I follow what you mean. I appreciate that there are staff challenges at airports in the developing(?) world. But I don't know what you mean about the LAS flight being full. I'll have a ticket on the SFO-LAS flight and I'll be standing at the check in desk in PPT about 11 hours before that flight. They will either be able and willing to follow UA's rules and through check my bag on separate UA tickets, or they won't. I don't see how the seating load on the LAS flight factors in.

It seems that UA offers these direct cheap fares from Papeete to SFO, and only to SFO, to match what French Bee airline charges on the same route. Then UA jacks up the price if you want to connect from SFO to anywhere else. So I'm hoping I'm not the first passenger staff will encounter asking to through check a bag on separate UA flights.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 24, 2018 at 11:04 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure I follow what you mean. I appreciate that there are staff challenges at airports in the developing(?) world. But I don't know what you mean about the LAS flight being full. I'll have a ticket on the SFO-LAS flight and I'll be standing at the check in desk in PPT about 11 hours before that flight. They will either be able and willing to follow UA's rules and through check my bag on separate UA tickets, or they won't. I don't see how the seating load on the LAS flight factors in.
To tag PPT-SFO-LAS on 2 separate itineraries, they have to onload you on the LAS flight manually above and beyond your original booking to get the tag all the way - it sort of tricks the computer. If LAS is full, they can't do the manual onload - and will need a supervisor to intervene and may take quite a bit of time if they even do it.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a $65 flight to LAS on Alaska Airlines 2 hours and 5 minutes after I land in SFO, but for some reason no online website will combine that AS flight with the UA flight, even though I thought that would be a legal connection. So I can't get that back checked through and might miss the connection if I have to go to the check in desk, pay the $25, etc. Paying $50 more to keep everything on UA and have a 3 hour connection instead of 2 seems to make more sense.
It's for the same reason that the fare goes to $610 when you try to combine it with the UA flight; there are end-on-end combinability restrictions on the PPT-SFO fare.

UA is engaging in a fare war here in order to try to get French Bee out of the CDG-SFO market. That's likely the entire reason for the SFO-PPT flight, in fact, and when French Bee pulls out of the market, there's a good chance UA will drop the route. Of course, they'd never admit this, because it'd be a clear violation of antitrust laws, but it's what's happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.