Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HoosierIU
Yeah the Hainan segement is what is causing me concern even though it was booked through united, they must have some ticketing agreement in place but of course Hainan isn't a *A member.
Yes, they definitely have an interline ticketing arrangement in place, and you'll have no problems getting the bags tagged to BKK. But I don't know whether or not UA will be willing to tack on the TG segment to HKT (which would allow you to go through customs at HKT instead of BKK). Although, honestly, six hours in the domestic departure area of BKK doesn't sound like a ton of fun.

I assume this was an exceptionally good fare or something. Transiting PEK is going to be a major hassle, as you need to change terminals there, so you'll likely need to go through the full immigration check. While 6 hours should be enough time, there are few absolutes when it comes to PEK.

If you have the opportunity to re-route, I'd seriously consider it.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If AA is one of the airlines under discussion, please don't use AAA as a city code!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA-UA can be done. Policy otherwise is UA will not check through bags on separate tickets to non *A carriers, so forget about it if ‘connecting’ (in quotes - since on separate tickets - this isn’t a connection at all) to an AA flight.

Uo to you (or your friend) on how this gets booked, of course - and I understand the want for cost savings on different PNRs - I’ve done the same thing at times - but note that anything on a separate ticket is not a connection, and there is no requirement for UA to protect the pax on this kind of thing. If it is UA-UA, the most likely scenario is they will, but AA will not care, for sure, if booked that way. I would give more time if this were me - didn’t see date in OP (may have missed it), but there are many times when ORD can go pear-shaped, and you can miss a 4 hour connection. Thunderstorms in summer - snow storm in winter, etc. wind can also be a factor. So do note that there is a chance this can go wrong. If looking at a UA-UA connection, I’d suggest trying to book on one PNR. If one searches for multi city flights AAA-ORD and ORD-BBB (vs. AAA-BBB), one often still gets the lower price. It’s worth checking.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
My son had this situation back in March. Separate domestic ticket and then an international ticket, going thru ORD, all UA. No problems checking bag to final destination.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Alert - thread hijack....

there used to to be a way in the reservation system to have two separate fares on one ticket. It would essentially be the same itinerary, but the airline would insert a fare break at the connecting city. This would allow one PNR for the circumstance the op is in.

Can agents still do this?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PVDProf
(as long as the inbound isn't scheduled during Thunderstorm Hours at ORD).
I don't think it's so easy to guess when Thunderstorms Hours are at ORD. I thought they would be in the late afternoon when it gets really warm but I have seen strong fronts arrive in the early morning and at other times.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by zrs70
Alert - thread hijack....

there used to to be a way in the reservation system to have two separate fares on one ticket. It would essentially be the same itinerary, but the airline would insert a fare break at the connecting city. This would allow one PNR for the circumstance the op is in.

Can agents still do this?
Yes, except when the fare rules explicitly prohibit doing so, which is very often the case on UA international fares.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, except when the fare rules explicitly prohibit doing so, which is very often the case on UA international fares.
Yes, I have unfortunately experienced this which forced me to find alternative options to get to ORD as the cost became prohibitive. For my next trip, I did get an award to ORD for the morning of my UA International departure. Then thinking that I have to arrive before 5:00 AM at my airport for if the UA agents have problems UA-UA interlining the luggage, I chickened out. When I found an award for the previous afternoon, I booked that. Have to stay in a hotel near ORD but it beats the stress at 4:30 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
If AA is one of the airlines under discussion, please don't use AAA as a city code!
Thanks to everyone who responded. So glad one can always count on ua forum posters for in-depth knowledge, analysis and sense of humor!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by deltame
I have a friend who intends to travel AAA-ORD (domestic) then ORD-CCC (international) on two separate revenue bookings, ... If she has to check a bag at origin AAA, what is the odds of UA checking her bag all the way thru to destination (CCC), without having to claim and recheck at ORD?
100% Yes. But they only do it at AAA, when the destination is CCC.

Giving the real airport codes is the best way to get the best help.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global321
Giving the real airport codes is the best way to get the best help.
When the real airport codes are needed, people will ask. This isn't such a case.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:01 am

The 2x UA agents at ORD had no idea how to check our bags beyond YVR on our ORD—YVR (UA)-YVR-MEL (AC) - MEL-AKL (Air New Zealand) trip. Kept telling them invalid booking class. They had no interest in asking anyone for help (help desk) and said we’d be fine since we had several hours in YVR...

:-(
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Zantaine
The 2x UA agents at ORD had no idea how to check our bags beyond YVR on our ORD—YVR (UA)-YVR-MEL (AC) - MEL-AKL (Air New Zealand) trip. Kept telling them invalid booking class. They had no interest in asking anyone for help (help desk) and said we’d be fine since we had several hours in YVR...

Probably too late now, but I would have pushed back and asked for the on-duty station chief. And then told them to call someone. If you read up thread, there are multiple ways for employees to do it, but many are convoluted. Different airports have different skill leveled employees.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Per policy, UA will not interline to AA across separate tickets. It's possible that a GS or 1K might get an exception to the rule, but, even still, I'd go into that situation assuming I'd need to pick up the bags and re-check them with AA.
I always go in with low expectations to this, but the LAX GS team is awesome and does it for me, twice in the last year; great agents there. For UA>LHR to BA, they can even print my onward BA boarding passes on a totally separate itin. But I appreciate every time that they don’t have to do this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by Zantaine

I've had similar happen at ORD on multiple occasions and find that politely/pleasantly pleasantly asking for a supervisor does the trick. For some reason UA doesn't seem to train up (especially newer) agents too well on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.