Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by serialportme
Hello -

Posted this in another forum, they suggested putting it here.

We have one ticket booked with United. USA to Naples with a stopover in Brussels.

We have one ticket booked with United. USA to Brussels. Then another ticket Brussels Air to Naples.

We also will have one luggage bag that will go from USA to Naples with United.

The other bag will need to be claimed in Brussels and rechecked to go to Naples.

Any thoughts of how this will go? Flights are booked - but any ideas for an easier way please let me know.

Do you think United will allow me to check the bag though to Naples on the Brussels only trip because they are both *A airlines?

I have 3 hours between flights - which should be enough time to clear, claim and recheck but I’m inclined to just pay the extra bag charge on the other ticket to not be stressed if they won’t send it to Naples for me on the Brussels ticket.

Thanks for reading the long message!
Yes. Bring both reservations for the separate one <USA to Brussels; Brussels to Naples> and when you check in say that you'd like your luggage to be through checked. Since Brussels Airlines is *A, it should be perfectly fine.

Just to be clear though, through checked means it will go directly to the destination. You will not have access to it at Brussels at all. Asking because you said "The bag will need to be claimed in Brussels and rechecked...".
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Please explain why you are asking about interlining your bag onwards when you state that you need to claim it at BRU? Can't do both, so really need to know what you are trying to do with that second bag.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial

Just to be clear though, through checked means it will go directly to the destination. You will not have access to it at Brussels at all. Asking because you said "The bag will need to be claimed in Brussels and rechecked...".
Yes, through to the destination - I may have the time to claim an recheck if they won't do it...Although if they won't I may just pay for it. If the flight gets delayed - and miss connection because I am running around Brussels it wouldn't be worth it.

Hope they will do it for me -

Originally Posted by Often1
Please explain why you are asking about interlining your bag onwards when you state that you need to claim it at BRU? Can't do both, so really need to know what you are trying to do with that second bag.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I would much prefer to interline my bag to Naples, but if they won't do it for no charge, I may need to claim it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 2018 at 7:05 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Often1
OP explained this in the Europe forum earlier: (S)he's travelling with somebody else and one of them has a ticket through to Naples, while the other one is doing it with two different tickets. Mind you, both passengers are on the same flights UA to BRU, and SN to NAP, so (s)he was told to ask at CI to ask, if possible, to check the bag through. OP's posting here because somebody in the Europe forum said that AA and BA would no longer check bags for a "final" destination if not on the same ticket, so (s)he was told to ask in the UA forum where people would know better.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Yes, through to the destination - I may have the time to claim an recheck if they won't do it...Although if they won't I may just pay for it. If the flight gets delayed - and miss connection because I am running around Brussels it wouldn't be worth it.

Hope they will do it for me -
They'll do it (or should). United has experience doing this and again, since Brussels is *Alliance, should be no problem at all.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Hello -

Posted this in another forum, they suggested putting it here.

We have one ticket booked with United. USA to Naples with a stopover in Brussels.

We have one ticket booked with United. USA to Brussels. Then another ticket Brussels Air to Naples.

We also will have one luggage bag that will go from USA to Naples with United.

The other bag will need to be claimed in Brussels and rechecked to go to Naples.

Any thoughts of how this will go? Flights are booked - but any ideas for an easier way please let me know.

Do you think United will allow me to check the bag though to Naples on the Brussels only trip because they are both *A airlines?

I have 3 hours between flights - which should be enough time to clear, claim and recheck but I’m inclined to just pay the extra bag charge on the other ticket to not be stressed if they won’t send it to Naples for me on the Brussels ticket.

Thanks for reading the long message!
You've received good advice in the responses above, but let me add two comments which may be helpful.

1) Both you and your companion will need to clear immigration (though not customs) at BRU, since that is where you enter the Schengen zone. The flight from Belgium to Italy is considered a domestic flight.

2) Your companion has a connection, not a stopover, at BRU. If the ticket involved a stopover, the rules for the baggage would be different.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
What confused me most in the original post was Naples. I was reading it as Naples, Florida! Kept on scratching my head!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
OP explained this in the Europe forum earlier: (S)he's travelling with somebody else and one of them has a ticket through to Naples, while the other one is doing it with two different tickets. Mind you, both passengers are on the same flights UA to BRU, and SN to NAP, so (s)he was told to ask at CI to ask, if possible, to check the bag through. OP's posting here because somebody in the Europe forum said that AA and BA would no longer check bags for a "final" destination if not on the same ticket, so (s)he was told to ask in the UA forum where people would know better.
Lol - Thanks for explaining better than I did! Appreciate it.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
They'll do it (or should). United has experience doing this and again, since Brussels is *Alliance, should be no problem at all.
Awesome. Appreciate your answer, and everyone’s replies.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 2018 at 7:06 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....Posted this in another forum, they suggested putting it here.....
In the future, please do not create a second thread. Instead, ask for the original thread to be moved -- this allows are the information to stay together and prevent the confusion this thread initially had.

Will move these posts now to a thread that has more information on bag interlining between UA and a *A partner. See the wiki. UA's policy is more generous than BA and AA.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 2018 at 12:49 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In the future, please do not create a second thread. Instead, as for the origonalthread to be moved -- this allows are the information to stay together and prevent the confusion this thread intially had.

Will move these posts now to a thread that has more information on bag interlining between UA and a *A partner. See the wiki. UA's policy is more generous than BA and AA.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Apologies - apprecate the information. Never saw this thread before it very informational. Thank you!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If I'm not mistaken, that would mean though that you'll need to clear customs in Naples meaning you can't exit from the blue lane.

Last edited by joshwex90; Feb 18, 2018 at 12:57 am Reason: blue, not green
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
If I'm not mistaken, that would mean though that you'll need to clear customs in Naples meaning you can't exit from the green line
Assuming I haven’t misunderstood you, the green channel is the correct exit point unless you have something to declare, in that case it would be the red channel.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by kilo

Assuming I haven’t misunderstood you, the green channel is the correct exit point unless you have something to declare, in that case it would be the red channel.
You have not misunderstood me but I made a mistake - I meant to say the blue lane, not green.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:33 am

UA to *A Separate Tickets and Bags

I'm travelling UA to ORD when I'll pick up NH11 on a separate ticket. 1.5 hour layover. Can UA check through to the NH flight at my origin? Should I do this vs. retrieving the bag and going through to checkin/security again?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2018 at 12:05 pm Reason: merged into master thread
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CHSDOC
... Can UA check through to the NH flight at my origin? ....
Yes, this is standard policy for UA (posted on their website -- see the thread's wiki for the statement and link). Just have all the flight info and PNRs available at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.