Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All of this is predicated on you holding regular economy tickets. If you have Basic Economy tickets, expect to be told 'no.'

Originally Posted by DFW1003
My partner and I have a UA flight from DFW to IAH and we pre-purchased checked bags (1 bag for me and 2 for him). We have a separate award ticket on BR later that night in Business Class (IAH to TPE).
Oh no! I wish you hadn't pre-purchased the bags. If you're able to get the bags checked through, they would almost certainly have been free.

If the UA agent pushes back and says he/she can't check the bags through to TPE when we depart in a few weeks for TPE, should I just ask for a supervisor? Or ask him/her to call the help desk?
UA supervisors seem to back up whatever nonsense their front-line agents come up with, so I'd go with, "really? I had this done on my last trip / I know someone who just had this done on their last trip." (depending upon how far you'd like to stretch the truth . "I think the agent had to call their 'help desk?'" I can assure you that it's possible, as I've done this sort of thing myself (albeit, I have UA status, which may have helped).

Additionally, just to be completely safe, does it have any impact on UA's ability to check the bags through to TPE if I do online check in on EVA's website? Or should I wait to do the online check in until after I checked in for our UA flight? If I do online check in for my EVA flight, I assume I just have to put 2 and 1 for our checked bags to match UA?
It does not matter if you check in or not, and the luggage probably doesn't matter either. No matter what you put at checkin, you should probably bring your bag tags to the EVA gate agent and ask them to make sure they're registered in their system.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
All of this is predicated on you holding regular economy tickets. If you have Basic Economy tickets, expect to be told 'no.'

Oh no! I wish you hadn't pre-purchased the bags. If you're able to get the bags checked through, they would almost certainly have been free.

Oh DANG! Good to know for future reference! I did use our Amex credits for this, so not a huge loss. But we are switching from UA back to AA for this year for Amex credit, so it's good to know the bags would have been free.

It does not matter if you check in or not, and the luggage probably doesn't matter either. No matter what you put at checkin, you should probably bring your bag tags to the EVA gate agent and ask them to make sure they're registered in their system.
Yes, economy tickets. UA award tickets for DFW to IAH. It was worth it to avoid Basic Economy!

Oh DANG! Good to know for future reference! I did use our Amex credits for this, so not a huge loss. But we are switching from UA back to AA for this year for Amex credit, so it's good to know the bags would have been free.

Yep! I had planned to bring our bag tags to the EVA gate agent when we picked up our paper boarding passes.

Thanks so much for your insights. I hope we get an agent willing to help. We have a long layover since EVA's flight doesn't depart until 1:00 am. It is always much more pleasant in the Polaris Lounge than sitting landside! That was no fun!
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by DFW1003; Mar 14, 2024 at 10:44 am Reason: reordering info
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:53 am

Any experience interlining with SAS after they announced their departure from *A? I know they haven't left yet.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:12 pm

Will United allow you to link two roudtrip reservations to one Multi-City

Hi,

I am in the process of booking reservation with United for Summer Travel to India (Chennai - MAA). I just found that the fares to India through United is lot expensive compared to other airlines (See Flights to India from SFO are expensive - HELP) I am planning to book two trips (SFO --> SIN and SIN --> MAA ) separately as below:
1. Paid Roundtrip ticket SFO - SIN (say June 5 - June 30)
2. Award Travel on Singapore Airlnes SIN - MAA booked through United using United miles ( say June 6 to June 29)

These two reservations will have two different United Confirmation numbers. Once the ticket is booked, will United allow these to be converted two one Multi-City reservation so that the luggage is checked all the way in bothways,

Thanks
...mottai
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Very likely no.
mottai likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mottai
These two reservations will have two different United Confirmation numbers. Once the ticket is booked, will United allow these to be converted two one Multi-City reservation so that the luggage is checked all the way in bothways,
No. However, you don't need them to do so. You should arrive early at SFO and present both confirmation numbers. An agent can check your bags through to a separate reservation on a *A carrier, although not all agents know how.

On the way back, you'd be covered by SQ's policies, but AFAIK they're substantially similar.

I wouldn't expect any issues beyond an untrained agent.
SPN Lifer, mottai and Global321 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
What jsloan said.

Arrive extra early at SFO. It may take multiple agents and time to get the bags checked through properly since it is a 2 itinerary thing.

And read the bag receipt before walking away, make sure it shows MAA as final destination.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, mottai and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
What jsloan said.

Arrive extra early at SFO. It may take multiple agents and time to get the bags checked through properly since it is a 2 itinerary thing.

And read the bag receipt before walking away, make sure it shows MAA as final destination.
Actually, on separate tickets, checking a bag through is easier for an agent from a UA flight to a Singapore flight than from a UA flight to a UA flight. Probably need only one competent agent. And it needs to be an UA agent, not one of the contracted bag handlers behind the counter.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, mottai and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Shaetan
Any experience interlining with SAS after they announced their departure from *A? I know they haven't left yet.
Curious to know this too. If no one knows yet, I will report back next when. I am departing IAH on a UA ticket and then taking the SK IAD to CPH flight on a separate ticket.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by stravelslots
Curious to know this too. If no one knows yet, I will report back next when. I am departing IAH on a UA ticket and then taking the SK IAD to CPH flight on a separate ticket.
I had a good UA agent at IAH. However, she couldn’t get it to work all the way. She was able to get a bag tag to get from IAH-IAD-CPH but could not get the CPH-ARN to work. I only have a 45 minute connection time in CPH so I. Wonder if that was the issue. Due to the short connection time in CPH, I ended up not interlining.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by stravelslots
I had a good UA agent at IAH. However, she couldn’t get it to work all the way. She was able to get a bag tag to get from IAH-IAD-CPH but could not get the CPH-ARN to work. I only have a 45 minute connection time in CPH so I. Wonder if that was the issue. Due to the short connection time in CPH, I ended up not interlining.
​​​​​​45 minute non Schengen to Schengen is right on the dot for MCT, so that should not be the reason.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 12:30 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler , Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Sixt Platinum and various hotel programs
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I have a UA award ticket LAX-DEN-MUC (UA to DEN and LH to MUC) and a separate LH revenue ticket MUC-MRS.

Should there be an issue with interlining bags through to MRS when I check in at LAX, given that one ticket is an award ticket on UA stock and the other is a cash ticket on LH stock?

Last edited by dpdapper; Apr 18, 2024 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 18, 2024, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dpdapper
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I have a UA award ticket LAX-DEN-MUC (UA to DEN and LH to MUC) and a separate LH revenue ticket MUC-MRS.

Should there be an issue with interlining bags through to MRS when I check in at LAX, given that one ticket is non-revenue on UA stock and the other is a revenue ticket on LH stock?
Award tickets are revenue.

That shouldn't present any extra complications on its own, beyond the general, occasional inability to add additional segments from a second PNR. However, you get a second bite at the apple -- if the LAX agents can't do it, when you reach the LH gate at DEN, explain the situation and ask if they can reroute your bag.
SPN Lifer, dpdapper and jaro like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.