Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passengerís baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.


Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old May 1, 2022, 3:26 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by TexasKaren
I have a few different questions, so hopefully this is as good a place as any to ask them.

My Mom and I are flying from Tampa to Manchester (UK) in August. We have a positioning flight the same day on UA and the long haul is from IAH to MAN on SQ. The domestic flight is regular economy, and the international flight is business class. Mom has a United Explorer card which paid for the TPA to IAH flights for both of us. I have Star Alliance Gold through Krisflyer, but no status on UA.

My Krisflyer number is not connected to the UA flight because I purchased the flight on United.com and it automatically connected my UA FF number. Is there a way to change this, like if I call them and sit on hold for a day or something? I'd like to be recognized as Star Alliance gold for the domestic flight because of the free baggage allowance. Would the fact that my Mom paid for both tickets with her Explorer card get me the free bag, or is that perk just for her?

We want to check our bags all the way from TPA to MAN. I've seen mixed comments about interline baggage transfers being allowed or not. I would hate to arrive in Houston and have to get our bags to recheck because then we're pretty much screwed with our 8 hour layover. I doubt we'd be able to check the bags on SQ until about 3-4 hours before the flight and I want to avoid that. I want to be able to hang out in the Polaris lounge and not out in the ticket counter area. Does anyone here have very recent experience checking bags all the way through to the international destination when the positioning flight was booked separately?
Hi TexasKaren,
I am in a similar situation for an upcoming trip in June. DFW to IAH is on United and is an award ticket using United Miles.

We're connection in IAH on Singapore Airlines to SIN (w/ stop in Manchester). SQ flight is in Business Class and we used SQ miles for that flight.
It appears UA should be able to check our bags all the way to SIN when we check in at DFW. But I'm curious if UA allowed you to check bags in per SQ's Business Class policy? Or did you have to pay for bags for the UA leg?

If anyone has recent experience, please share. Thanks in advance!
DFW1003 is offline  
Old May 5, 2022, 10:16 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,055
I need some advice. I am flying with a colleage SFO-SIN on United in August. We land at 6:15AM. We want to catch the 9:30AM SQ flight to BKK. We will both have checked bags. I bought the UA tickets, then I am purchasing the one-way SQ ticket separate.

1K help desk seemed to think we can check bags somehow all the way to BKK if I let the US SFO agent know. Is that correct? They will coordinate the bags with SQ since they are same Alliance even though completely seperate bookings?


Thanks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 6, 2022 at 1:11 pm Reason: split post
Winkdaddy is offline  
Old May 5, 2022, 10:44 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 155
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
I need some advice. I am flying with a colleage SFO-SIN on United in August. We land at 6:15AM. We want to catch the 9:30AM SQ flight to BKK. We will both have checked bags. I bought the UA tickets, then I am purchasing the one-way SQ ticket separate.

1K help desk seemed to think we can check bags somehow all the way to BKK if I let the US SFO agent know. Is that correct? They will coordinate the bags with SQ since they are same Alliance even though completely seperate bookings?

Thanks
After talking to 3 different SQ call center folks, I am beginning to think that it ultimately depends on how knowledgeable and helpful that the SQ agent at the check in desk is. The right agent should have no issues to check your bags directly to BKK. The good news is SQ staff are generally good. Having said that, unlike me (I have only 1h 55m) you have over 3 hours time. If your SFO-SIN flight is not very late (by more than an hour), you should have enough time to clear immigration and customs, collect your bags and check in for your SIN-BKK flight.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 6, 2022 at 1:08 pm Reason: Quote updated for splitting post
vsadda is offline  
Old May 6, 2022, 7:19 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IAH, SGN, BKK
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 396
Winkdaddy My route is IAH-SGN & have flown via SIN since the route was started. I always travel with 3 70# bags. My last return was on Dec 31, 2019 so my info may be out of date.

I buy the SIN-SGN on SQ when UA doesn't offer a connection on a single ticket (at a reasonable price). My experience always was that once the tickets
were married that the baggage tags would not print the SQ segment.

It always got done after 30 to 45 minutes of piling up bad tags and agents consulting one another then getting a big white binder full of instructions.

Finally in 2018 I got a check in agent who knew exactly what to do & she showed me step by step:
  • From GUI go to SHARES
  • select BAGGAGE
  • enter # heavies
  • enter total # bags
  • PRINT
It worked every time.

Good luck. Please post your experience. I'll be flying this route again in late June.
AndyInSaigon is offline  
Old May 6, 2022, 9:22 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,855
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
Winkdaddy My route is IAH-SGN & have flown via SIN since the route was started. I always travel with 3 70# bags. My last return was on Dec 31, 2019 so my info may be out of date.

I buy the SIN-SGN on SQ when UA doesn't offer a connection on a single ticket (at a reasonable price). My experience always was that once the tickets
were married that the baggage tags would not print the SQ segment.

It always got done after 30 to 45 minutes of piling up bad tags and agents consulting one another then getting a big white binder full of instructions.

Finally in 2018 I got a check in agent who knew exactly what to do & she showed me step by step:
  • From GUI go to SHARES
  • select BAGGAGE
  • enter # heavies
  • enter total # bags
  • PRINT
It worked every time.

Good luck. Please post your experience. I'll be flying this route again in late June.
That is very good detailed information you have provided. Hopefully it will help others whom are interlining at SIN
Flying Machine is offline  
Old May 6, 2022, 12:12 pm
  #66  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Posts: 60,343
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
Finally in 2018 I got a check in agent who knew exactly what to do & she showed me step by step:
  • From GUI go to SHARES
  • select BAGGAGE
  • enter # heavies
  • enter total # bags
  • PRINT
It worked every time.

Good luck. Please post your experience. I'll be flying this route again in late June.
from what screen in the GUI? Is it after they enter the SQ segment details?

I have had the same experience in SFO - agents keep printing incomplete tags, ask a disinterested manager who eventually walks off, make a phone call, finally get it squared away.

My recollection is PMUA Apollo was not this difficult.
uastarflyer is offline  
Old May 7, 2022, 11:26 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 2
New user here...

I have a trip coming up from Indianapolis to La Paz, Bolivia. I have a positioning flight from IND - IAD on UA and then the long haul is on AV (Avianca) IAD - BOG - LPB.

I know that UA and AV are *A members and should have an interline agreement between them, and from the posts in this forum I shouldn't have a problem. My questions are twofold.

Does anyone have any experience interlining at IND? Are the agents there generally knowledgeable in this process?

Has anyone had experience interlining between United and Avianca?

Thanks in advance!
yodjka is offline  
Old May 7, 2022, 11:28 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,855
Originally Posted by yodjka
New user here...

I have a trip coming up from Indianapolis to La Paz, Bolivia. I have a positioning flight from IND - IAD on UA and then the long haul is on AV (Avianca) IAD - BOG - LPB.

I know that UA and AV are *A members and should have an interline agreement between them, and from the posts in this forum I shouldn't have a problem. My questions are twofold.

Does anyone have any experience interlining at IND? Are the agents there generally knowledgeable in this process?

Has anyone had experience interlining between United and Avianca?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to Flyertalk! Havenít done an inter-line between the two carriers but be aware Avianca is not the most customer service friendly airline 😀
Flying Machine is offline  
Old May 7, 2022, 11:37 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Welcome to Flyertalk! Havenít done an inter-line between the two carriers but be aware Avianca is not the most customer service friendly airline 😀
Thanks for the welcome!

I have had friends who travel Avianca often tell me the same, so I'm hoping by interlining I can avoid as many customer service issues as possible! lol
yodjka is offline  
Old May 7, 2022, 6:19 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IAH, SGN, BKK
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 396
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
from what screen in the GUI? Is it after they enter the SQ segment details?.
I think this is correct. Enter SQ segment then go to SHARES green screen. When I have printed the instructions & handed
that to the agent they always understood without asking more.
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.
AndyInSaigon is offline  
Old May 21, 2022, 8:45 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC / MIA / AMS
Programs: UA 1k
Posts: 509
I believe this should be fine but want to double check. Currently flying EWR-HND in July, I had hope for a Japan open by then given the press, but it seems that is less than the ideal opening. I'd re-book but i have to be in Bali in mid July for a wedding so I plan on transiting. I should have no problem interlining to an NH/SQ flight on a separate ticket departing T+1 but less than 24h after arrival? (all will be in J). I understand the overnight in HND will be mildly unfun.
oblisk is online now  
Old May 23, 2022, 12:19 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SNA and XRY
Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Posts: 1,046
Does anyone have experience trying to interline with CFG (Condor)...? I know it's a subsidiary of LH, but does it qualify as Star Alliance? My MM companion has a SNA-DEN-FRA... with separate PNR from FRA to XRY... The connection was not shown when buying the SNA-FRA ticket.Looked through this thread but don't see anything unless I missed it.
Buzzman is offline  
Old May 23, 2022, 12:33 am
  #73  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 67,569
Originally Posted by Buzzman
Does anyone have experience trying to interline with CFG (Condor)...? I know it's a subsidiary of LH, but does it qualify as Star Alliance? My MM companion has a SNA-DEN-FRA... with separate PNR from FRA to XRY... The connection was not shown when buying the SNA-FRA ticket.Looked through this thread but don't see anything unless I missed it.
Condor / DE does not have an interline agreement with UA
Lack of UA ticket or bag interline with DE confirmed by EF
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old May 23, 2022, 12:37 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SNA and XRY
Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Posts: 1,046
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Condor / DE does not have an interline agreement with UA
Lack of UA ticket or bag interline with DE confirmed by EF
Thanks for the quick reply...
Buzzman is offline  
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:39 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Posts: 828
Interline with Iberia

Flying Polaris LAX-EWR-MAD tomorrow connecting to Iberia to OVD also in Business. Can United interline luggage all the way to OVD?
sierranevada is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.