Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by emcampbe
just have a copy of your SQ PNR and ticket. That’s all the agent should need.

note that whether your connection is 12 hours or less or slightly over 12 hours could be a differentiating factor. My understanding is by default, UA won’t check bags for over 12 hours between flights, with some stations being exempted from this - SIN is one, and I just had, with some difficulty, this done on a 14 hour connection (somehow, the computer was telling the agents that my SQ [regular economy] fare was ‘not a valid class’, but eventually, it got done, with persistence from the amazing agent and supervisor at SFO helping me. If your connection, is say, 12:05, they may not try or even be able to it if they do. So if that’s the case, I’d plan to have to go through customs at LHR to get the bag and re-check, but hope that you don’t have to.

on that note, note that even if SQ desk is open at LHR to check the bag with, they may or may not actually check it if your flight is not theoretically open for check in. SQ at SIN will accept bags within 24 hours of flight, IIRC, but not sure if that works at their other stations as well. May want to find out from SQ.
Thank you... appreciate the insight.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So you got an agent to override policy / fare restrictions
Originally Posted by view
You got them to interline with a SK fare the specifically does not allow baggage unless purchased separately?
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With enough badgering, it can happen.
No badgering needed, just asked the 2nd agent once, they were determined to get it done. I just got lucky with helpful agents.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
No badgering needed, just asked the 2nd agent once, they were determined to get it done. I just got lucky with helpful agents.
hopefully you are not getting these helpful agents into a lot of trouble for breaking the rules. We need them to continue to help us in cases where it is a legitimate request. I don't get it why folks try and make agents break the rules ...
jsloan, SPN Lifer and view like this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
If I have two separate tickets, one is UA Y (not basic economy) domestic and connect to another sepatae ticket on BR J, I understand I can thru check my bags to TPE when I check in for the UA domestic ticket. Will I be allowed just 1 piece of bag free since my UA Y only has 1 free bag from *G? Or will UA honor BR J ticket's 3-piece allowance for UA's Y sector even though it was on a separate ticket?
Old Aug 29, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, United Silver, Marriot Titanium + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rownada
If I have two separate tickets, one is UA Y (not basic economy) domestic and connect to another sepatae ticket on BR J, I understand I can thru check my bags to TPE when I check in for the UA domestic ticket. Will I be allowed just 1 piece of bag free since my UA Y only has 1 free bag from *G? Or will UA honor BR J ticket's 3-piece allowance for UA's Y sector even though it was on a separate ticket?
Based on what I can tell from the United website, the airline for the first segment of the trip will set the requirement. If you want to check more bags on the first flight, you'll likely be charged for the extra bags (since it's in Y.) Your results may vary, the woman in ICT when I tried to check our bags all the way through to MAN on a separate ticket on LH flight from ORD-FRA-MAN could not get my bags checked through. She refused to call and get it worked out. So we were forced to pick up our bags in ORD and recheck them onto our LH flight. Good luck.

Last edited by ScottSchultz; Aug 29, 2023 at 5:50 am Reason: Forgot to quote
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rownada
you will usually get the J allowance from the TPAC segment. UA essentially adds your 2nd itinerary to the domestic segment and that usually leads the computer to calculate it as a TPAC through itinerary. No guarantee, but this is how it usually works out.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
you will usually get the J allowance from the TPAC segment. UA essentially adds your 2nd itinerary to the domestic segment and that usually leads the computer to calculate it as a TPAC through itinerary. No guarantee, but this is how it usually works out.
Agreed, but I'm not sure if it would be the BR TPAC allowance or UA's J TPAC allowance.
SPN Lifer and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:38 am

got dp today at ewr
ua biz I connected to cx econ X
the lady seemed very familiar
told me she needed to do it in the old system

even got my cx bp
and i immediately got email saying my bag checked through to cx destination, also reflected in ua app
jsloan, uanj and cfischer like this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackkyxu
got dp today at ewr
ua biz I connected to cx econ X
the lady seemed very familiar
told me she needed to do it in the old system

even got my cx bp
and i immediately got email saying my bag checked through to cx destination, also reflected in ua app
What's your UA status?
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
What's your UA status?
no status
Old Sep 3, 2023, 4:12 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
What's your UA status?
Originally Posted by jackkyxu
no status
The info I got a couple years ago (but never got to test because plans changed) was that *full fare* UA business for the transoceanic segment would be interlined to non-partners across PNRs regardless of status (1K was more generous so I never clarified what the policy considered "full fare" e.g. of they meant J inventory only or if more fare buckets came into play...anyway it seems this tracks.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
Can I interline a bag coming from UA SFO-LHR in deep discounted biz to LH LHR-MUC-MLA in economy? No status with both and separate PNRs (UA AABBCC and LH QQWWZZ)

If I read the thread correctly, this works as long as I do not have a basic economy fare on the LHR-MUC-MLA, ie there's checked bag included?

Last edited by jaro; Sep 3, 2023 at 8:49 am
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
The info I got a couple years ago (but never got to test because plans changed) was that *full fare* UA business for the transoceanic segment would be interlined to non-partners across PNRs regardless of status (1K was more generous so I never clarified what the policy considered "full fare" e.g. of they meant J inventory only or if more fare buckets came into play...anyway it seems this tracks.
i know the same saying with full fare biz ticket
but my dp is award saver biz
Old Sep 3, 2023, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaro
Can I interline a bag coming from UA SFO-LHR in deep discounted biz to LH LHR-MUC-MLA in economy? No status with both and separate PNRs (UA AABBCC and LH QQWWZZ)

If I read the thread correctly, this works as long as I do not have a basic economy fare on the LHR-MUC-MLA, ie there's checked bag included?
That should be very easy, assuming you didn't buy an Eco lite fare w/ LH.
jaro likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by cfischer
That should be very easy, assuming you didn't buy an Eco lite fare w/ LH.
I haven't bought anything yet (while I was waiting for an answer) but I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet! Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.