Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps the four hour limit on checking bags prior departure -- again not applicable

If the agent has never done this before, there is little chance of doing it without more experience help.

Interesting comment about help desk not wanting to help -- something else is going on here as have never heard that excuse reported.
me neither.

I suspect the agent was lazy and had no interest in making even a bit of effort to help out a customer. Sometimes, our jobs require doing more than just minimum and making an excuse.

As a counter example, and you can see upthread, I had an agent (and sup) at SFO make a massive effort to help me through check bags through to SQ, when the computer was not cooperating. They could pull up my SQ itin, but it was telling them my travel class was ‘not valid’. It took almost 45 minutes (I came early expecting it would take a few minutes longer), and agent worked to do it, then sup…all behind the counter had a great attitude, sense of humor, etc. I know some people have suggested that SFO staff are not…great, but at least the crew at international check in that night was amazing. Would be nice if we all put in the little bit of extra effort at our jobs, but it’s only a small portion, unfortunately.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Four hours is the maximum amount of time for a transfer on a through fare on a domestic itinerary -- anything longer than that is a stopover. For an international itinerary, the maximum is 24 hours instead. In other words, the agent had no idea what she was talking about and made up an explanation to suit the circumstances. Sorry.
Unless there is no earlier flight upon which space is available... Over the years I've built a few domestic itineraries that had 4+ hour connections and were through-fared/not a stopover because that was the first flight upon which space was available after I arrived at my connecting point (yay for red-eyes and less-populated Midwestia)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps the four hour limit on checking bags prior departure -- again not applicable

If the agent has never done this before, there is little chance of doing it without more experience help.

Interesting comment about help desk not wanting to help -- something else is going on here as have never heard that excuse reported.
Not only not applicable but enforced at an agent and not system level...Long story short I recently had a bag tag inadvertently printed ~21 hours prior to departure.

Sounds like an agent didn't want to expend more than the minumum amount of effort and/or has been spending too much time on hold for the AO Helpdesk -- I had a itinerary last week that required the check-in agent to call the AO helpdesk and the whole thing was taken care of in 2 minutes or less with the biggest portion of that being confirming that I was really in EWR and not IAD... On the other hand I've walked by agents at the TC and in the clubs (particularly IAD clubs) who have UA's godawful hold music on speakerphone and the answer is always "waiting on the helpdesk..."

[Long story long: Had an itinerary in May that a TA booked and inserted a space in place of the hyphen in my surname which borked all of UA's automated systems for check in/passport verification [which expect the hyphen to just be deleted/mushed together], and trying to use Agent on Demand's "Document Verification" feature was a frustrating waste of time -- after 45 minutes holding for an agent only to be told not only can they apparently not verify documents despite that being an option but I "should probably get to the airport extra early in case there are other problems with your reservation" -- being slightly freaked by that comment, drove over to the airport where one of my agent BFFs was a the counter, verified my passport, and completed check in -- since I had told the app I was checking a bag the bag tag auto printed with the boarding passes. The agent gave me the BP but because (a) it was the day before, (b) I didn't have my bag with me, and (c) it would be insanely outside of the window they voided the ABT and proceeded to essentially shred it with scissors before disposing of it.]
jsloan, SPN Lifer and wpcoe like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Unless there is no earlier flight upon which space is available... Over the years I've built a few domestic itineraries that had 4+ hour connections and were through-fared/not a stopover because that was the first flight upon which space was available after I arrived at my connecting point (yay for red-eyes and less-populated Midwestia)
Unfortunately, most UA fares have dropped that provision.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
ANA normally only checks in for the flight that is open.
In 2019 at ORD, ANA checked my bag in the morning for my 5pm HND flight. I emailed them beforehand to confirm. This was their response:

"In response, you may check your baggage during the check-in time for ANA Flight NH11, Chicago to Narita. The check-in time is between 3 hours and 1 hour of departure."
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can United Check In For A Subsequent Same Day Lufthansa Connection On LH Ticket?

Hi,

I am flying the return leg on a EWR/FRA United ticket. I looked at buying a same day ticket onward from Frankfurt but UA shows no availability, even though LH has a full schedule.

If I buy the LH ticket separately, can UA check me in for that segment as well (including bag check?). Or would I have to exit FRA to collect my bags and do a new check in?

Would my 2 bag UA entitlement vs 1 bag LH entitlement create any issues if UA can check me in?

If not, how onerous is the process to collect bags etc and reenter at FRA (I am there rarely).

Thanks in advance

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2023 at 1:22 pm Reason: Moved to relevant threat
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by winovin
... I am flying the return leg on a EWR/FRA United ticket. I looked at buying a same day ticket onward from Frankfurt but UA shows no availability, even though LH has a full schedule. ...
LH does not allow UA to book intra-european flights unless part of an intercontinental ticket.
No longer able to book LH Group intra-Europe only flights on UA 016 ticket stock

... If I buy the LH ticket separately, can UA check me in for that segment as well (including bag check?). Or would I have to exit FRA to collect my bags and do a new check in? ....
UA can check the bag thru to the LH flight but UA will not issue the BP, do that thru LH -- such as the LH app.

... Would my 2 bag UA entitlement vs 1 bag LH entitlement create any issues if UA can check me in? ...
The UA allowance will cover the outbound. The return will be based on LH rules.

... If not, how onerous is the process to collect bags etc and reenter at FRA (I am there rarely). ...
probably unneed, but if you go that route allow time for bag retrieval, bag check and security -- at least 3 hours perhaps a bit less as an *G elite
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Reading the earlier posts, I understand I should be able to interline on the following itinerary: ORD-LHR on UA on one PNR..... 12 hour connection time at LHR.... followed by LHR-SIN on SQ on its own PNR. My inquiry..... will the 12 connection time pose any issues for the bags to "get misdirected/lost/set aside & forgotten" ?? Also, aside from arriving at ORD early to facilitate any issue with the interlining... what should I have in hand at ORD to facilitate an efficient handling of getting the interline assigned??

P.S. Others have indicated baggage handling at LHR is less than stellar these days.... any opinions on whether (given I have a 12 hr window) I should just check bags to LHR, claim bags at LHR and recheck with SQ. I believe I have a 2 hour window on arrival at LHR that the SQ desk would be open for their morning LHR-SIN flight.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Can't help you with the baggage issue, just think it's cool you are going East to get to Singapore. When I lived in Australia I would buy a RTW ticket out of London which was cheaper than a RT from my parents place in Connecticut. Smooth sailing to you!
Old Aug 16, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brostman
Reading the earlier posts, I understand I should be able to interline on the following itinerary: ORD-LHR on UA on one PNR..... 12 hour connection time at LHR.... followed by LHR-SIN on SQ on its own PNR. My inquiry..... will the 12 connection time pose any issues for the bags to "get misdirected/lost/set aside & forgotten" ??
I've always felt the longer a bag was lying around, the more likely it was to get misplaced, but I've had bags make an 10+ hour transfer at LHR just fine, so it may just be my imagination.

Is it exactly 12 hours? UA may balk if it's more than 12 hours.

Also, aside from arriving at ORD early to facilitate any issue with the interlining... what should I have in hand at ORD to facilitate an efficient handling of getting the interline assigned??
A copy of your itinerary, preferably including your ticket number, fare class, or both.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA
Need a good agent for basic fares

LAX-SFO-LHR on UA Basic
Lhr-Arn-Hel on SK Go Light (O) fare class

1st agent in 1k line didn't even attempt, 2nd newer agent tried for about 10 min, then got a senior agent to help. The last 2 agents were excellent and very persistent. The system wouldn't let them do it the normal way, SK blocks O from interline apparently.

Senior agent took over and manually did it in Shares I think, they mentioned something about arrow not being able to do it. Major props to the 2 that helped, the newer agent asked the senior to teach her how to do it in the future.

Sorry for the blurry image, text in red says invalid class of service for interline.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
LAX-SFO-LHR on UA Basic

1st agent in 1k line didn't even attempt, 2nd newer agent tried for about 10 min, then got a senior agent to help. The last 2 agents were excellent and very persistent. The system wouldn't let them do it the normal way, SK blocks O from interline apparently.

Senior agent took over and manually did it in Shares I think, they mentioned something about arrow not being able to do it. Major props to the 2 that helped, the newer agent asked the senior to teach her how to do it in the future
Sorry for the blurry image, text in red says invalid class of service for interline.
So you got an agent to override policy / fare restrictions
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Reading the earlier posts, I understand I should be able to interline on the following itinerary: ORD-LHR on UA on one PNR..... 12 hour connection time at LHR.... followed by LHR-SIN on SQ on its own PNR. My inquiry..... will the 12 connection time pose any issues for the bags to "get misdirected/lost/set aside & forgotten" ?? Also, aside from arriving at ORD early to facilitate any issue with the interlining... what should I have in hand at ORD to facilitate an efficient handling of getting the interline assigned??

P.S. Others have indicated baggage handling at LHR is less than stellar these days.... any opinions on whether (given I have a 12 hr window) I should just check bags to LHR, claim bags at LHR and recheck with SQ. I believe I have a 2 hour window on arrival at LHR that the SQ desk would be open for their morning LHR-SIN flight.
just have a copy of your SQ PNR and ticket. That’s all the agent should need.

note that whether your connection is 12 hours or less or slightly over 12 hours could be a differentiating factor. My understanding is by default, UA won’t check bags for over 12 hours between flights, with some stations being exempted from this - SIN is one, and I just had, with some difficulty, this done on a 14 hour connection (somehow, the computer was telling the agents that my SQ [regular economy] fare was ‘not a valid class’, but eventually, it got done, with persistence from the amazing agent and supervisor at SFO helping me. If your connection, is say, 12:05, they may not try or even be able to it if they do. So if that’s the case, I’d plan to have to go through customs at LHR to get the bag and re-check, but hope that you don’t have to.

on that note, note that even if SQ desk is open at LHR to check the bag with, they may or may not actually check it if your flight is not theoretically open for check in. SQ at SIN will accept bags within 24 hours of flight, IIRC, but not sure if that works at their other stations as well. May want to find out from SQ.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
LAX-SFO-LHR on UA Basic
You got them to interline with a SK fare the specifically does not allow baggage unless purchased separately?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by view
You got them to interline with a SK fare the specifically does not allow baggage unless purchased separately?
With enough badgering, it can happen.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by jsloan
I've always felt the longer a bag was lying around, the more likely it was to get misplaced, but I've had bags make an 10+ hour transfer at LHR just fine, so it may just be my imagination. Is it exactly 12 hours? UA may balk if it's more than 12 hours.
A copy of your itinerary, preferably including your ticket number, fare class, or both.
There are 3 non-stop options.... the shortest connection is 9.5 hrs, then a 12.5 hr and a 14 hr connection. So the flight with the shortest connection might make the most sense strictly based on the less time the better the probability things go as they should...... This might be an award flight (given UA obnoxious pricing for a one way J tkt)... the shortest connection is pricing at a 13% premium in required miles compared to the two options with longer connections. Thank you for the insights.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.