Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
No issue in BOS today. UA award ticket to SYD in IN then a separate ticket on VA in coach to ADL. Bag was tagged through to ADL Here comes the crazy part ... UA was able to issue a BP for SYD-ADL
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
No issue in BOS today. UA award ticket to SYD in IN then a separate ticket on VA in coach to ADL. Bag was tagged through to ADL Here comes the crazy part ... UA was able to issue a BP for SYD-ADL
Great to hear. They are partners now. If available you could have booked it as one award ticket.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...australia.html
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:50 pm

Interline with EVA?

I have an award flight on EVA from IAH using EVA miles. I need to get from Austin to IAH on a seperate ticket. Will UA interline my luggage to EVA in Houston?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by diverg
I have an award flight on EVA from IAH using EVA miles. I need to get from Austin to IAH on a seperate ticket. Will UA interline my luggage to EVA in Houston?
Yes. EVA is a *A partner. Allow at least 15 minutes extra time to check the bag(s) at AUS
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes. EVA is a *A partner. Allow at least 15 minutes extra time to check the bag(s) at AUS
How much time should I allow for the connection? EVA departs at 1140pm in business class.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much time should I allow for the connection? EVA departs at 1140pm in business class.
You get Polaris Lounge access at IAH, which is about a 6-7 minute walk from EVA gate. With Polaris Lounge access, I wouldn't hesitate in having a very comfortable layover - 2 hours? I'm not sure I would even want a shorter connection, unless there's something preventing you from leaving Austin too early. Even then, you probably want to allow for a UA delayed arrival into IAH for a 1-a-day EVA departure. I'm not sure where IAH-AUS comes in - maybe A or B if a RJ, so need a little time to make your way to E/D
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:01 pm

You get Polaris Lounge access at IAH, which is about a 6-7 minute walk from EVA gate. With Polaris Lounge access, I wouldn't hesitate in having a very comfortable layover - 2 hours? I'm not sure I would even want a shorter connection, unless there's something preventing you from leaving Austin too early. Even then, you probably want to allow for a UA delayed arrival into IAH for a 1-a-day EVA departure. I'm not sure where IAH-AUS comes in - maybe A or B if a RJ, so need a little time to make your way to E/D
I am looking at flight arrival times into IAH at 5:21, 7;00 or 8:50pm.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8:50 arrival is plenty of time.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:10 pm

8:50 arrival is plenty of time.
I might go for the 7:00pm just to give myself one extra time if something goes wrong
PVDtoDEL likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Global321
Great to hear. They are partners now. If available you could have booked it as one award ticket.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...australia.html
that ticket was booked 11 months ago how else to find IN to Australia

I still find it fascinating that UA was able to print a BP for a VA ticket
Old Oct 2, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(a) I’d just drive (I’ve done this quite a few times).
(b) If I weren’t going to drive, I’d take the 6:00 PM flight with 7:00 arrival, because that way, if UA were running late, I’d have three options: wait for the 6 PM flight; switch to the 8 PM flight; or give up and drive. (Of course, if weather conditions are bad enough to cancel / substantially delay both evening flights, it’s probably not a great idea to drive either).
Old Oct 2, 2022, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
(a) I’d just drive (I’ve done this quite a few times).
(b) If I weren’t going to drive, I’d take the 6:00 PM flight with 7:00 arrival, because that way, if UA were running late, I’d have three options: wait for the 6 PM flight; switch to the 8 PM flight; or give up and drive. (Of course, if weather conditions are bad enough to cancel / substantially delay both evening flights, it’s probably not a great idea to drive either).
Driving to Houston will not be an option, so I must start in Austin. I like the 7pm flight because as you said I have at least one flight option after 700pm to get to Houstn and in a dire emergency I can drive to Houston to catch the EVA flight but it would put a great strain on the return.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mad_atta
I'm back here with a UA > *A interlining question. I've taken the advice offered a few posts above (and elsewhere) and given up on trying to get from SJD to YVR in time for AC's SYD flight, and instead have booked on NZ LAX-AKL-SYD as there are quite a few nonstop options SJD-LAX.

In this case, the issue is not very tight connections but very long connections at LAX. UA gets in at 2.40pm and NZ departs at 10.50pm. Expertflyer reckons this flight will arrive at TBIT (where I know there would be a luggage belt after customs that we could drop our interlined bags onto, which would mean we were unencumbered) but United.com shows current SJD-LAX flights coming into T7, which seems more logical.
At LAX T7, is there a similar belt after customs where we can drop bags for our NZ flight? I'm fine coming into either terminal, I just don't want to have to schlepp our bags from T7 to TBIT and wait for NZ check-in to open.
Reporting in with my experiences, to answer my own question. Yes, of course there is a baggage belt at T7 where we could put our bags on arrival for transfer to our NZ flights from TBIT. Flying into T7 on a Sunday afternoon was a breeze as far as customs and immigration were concerned - literally no wait at all for immigration, it was a joy.

Less speedy was our experience in SJD with getting our bags interlined from UA SJD-LAX to NZ LAX-AKL-SYD (on a separate ticket). The agent was lovely and very helpful, but it took her a solid 45 minutes to figure out how to do it. As it happened, our flight was heavily delayed so it was no problem, but you wouldn't want to attempt this without plenty of time.
jsloan and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:05 pm

So even if I book the ORD-EWR ticket separately, we can can check the bags all the way through? I'm looking at a potential Swiss Air/United flight roundtrip...can i still check the bags all the way through if the ERW-ZRH portion is Swiss air?
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leslie Hook
So even if I book the ORD-EWR ticket separately, we can can check the bags all the way through? I'm looking at a potential Swiss Air/United flight roundtrip...can i still check the bags all the way through if the ERW-ZRH portion is Swiss air?
Yes. If flying from ORD-EWR-ZUR same day, UA at ORD can check bags through to Zurich so you don't have to pick up in EWR. This is because Swiss and UA are both Star Alliance airlines. Need to allow 15 minutes extra or so at ORD for check-in agent to do his/her stuff - make sure you have both confirmation #s easily available. If you have United Gold status or better, you'll have United Club access at ORD and Polaris lounge access at EWR. If you do not, you'll have United Club and Polaris Lounge access at EWR only (assuming you're in business EWR-ZRH). You won't have Polaris Lounge access at ORD because your qualifying flight departs from EWR.

Be aware - Swiss departs from a different terminal (B) and some time will be required for you to get there from the United terminal (C) and the Polaris lounge within it. There's a post security bus from C to B, so you don't have to exit and re-enter the secure zone. .
Global321 likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 14, 2022 at 7:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.