Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Address Re-Verification?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Address Re-Verification?

I just verified my non-US address and that is no problem. I am concerned though that if I use a US credit card for a future purchase I will have to re-verify the non-US address since I have a US address as the billing address.

So, my question: does anyone know if I can switch between addresses or will I have to re-verify the non-US address each time I pay for something.

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DrewGzy
I just verified my non-US address and that is no problem. I am concerned though that if I use a US credit card for a future purchase I will have to re-verify the non-US address since I have a US address as the billing address.

So, my question: does anyone know if I can switch between addresses or will I have to re-verify the non-US address each time I pay for something.

Thanks!
Billing address doesn't matter. I have a UK address but use various US-issued credit cards with US billing addresses all the time.

edit: although sometimes the website will throw errors that the two don't match but you can ignore them.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrewwm
Billing address doesn't matter. I have a UK address but use various US-issued credit cards with US billing addresses all the time.

edit: although sometimes the website will throw errors that the two don't match but you can ignore them.
Have you done a transaction recently (like in the last 10 days or so)? I only ask because the address verification only came up for me the past week. Prior to that it didn't matter about the billing address. After I booked my latest ticket the billing address I used stayed on as my primary address and I had to submit my documents to verify my non-US address. It was not a hard process but I don't want to have to re-verify my address each time I pay for something.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DrewGzy
Have you done a transaction recently (like in the last 10 days or so)? I only ask because the address verification only came up for me the past week. Prior to that it didn't matter about the billing address. After I booked my latest ticket the billing address I used stayed on as my primary address and I had to submit my documents to verify my non-US address. It was not a hard process but I don't want to have to re-verify my address each time I pay for something.
About two weeks ago. I haven't changed my primary address or my billing address in a long time and my billing address is listed as my secondary address in my profile. I haven't been asked for verification.

There are reports that now if you change your primary address it will ask for verification, but I haven't heard anything about that related to billing addresses.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrewwm
About two weeks ago. I haven't changed my primary address or my billing address in a long time and my billing address is listed as my secondary address in my profile. I haven't been asked for verification.

There are reports that now if you change your primary address it will ask for verification, but I haven't heard anything about that related to billing addresses.

I was in the same place as you were two weeks ago - had two addresses on file. Just did another purchase (after they started verifying non-US addresses) and had to verify my address.

My question is if I did the verification process once am I good or will I need to re-verify each time I make a purchase?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
If it started 2 weeks ago, the current answer would be nobody knows.

Buy another ticket and you'll find out.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raehl311
Buy another ticket and you'll find out.
Looks like that answered my question (copy and pasted from United while looking at a mileage run):

Error

We’re sorry, but you must begin your search again in order to purchase this reservation with a form of payment in your billing address country. Please click on the Search button below to begin your search again.

To avoid this step in the future, please sign in to your MileagePlus account before beginning a reservation.

The billing address country associated with the MileagePlus number entered is United States.

Billing address country is determined by your MileagePlus mailing address, the billing address associated with your primary form of payment or your billing address country preference selected in Regional Preferences in My Account. Billing address country is defined as the country where you receive your billing statement or if you plan on paying in person, the country where you will complete this purchase.

Last edited by DrewGzy; Nov 15, 2014 at 1:29 am
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
I've been concerned abt this as well, and as far as I can tell, will have to re-verify each time I change the address back to Australia, where I actually live 100% of the time. I only change to US address to use a U.S. based CC
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
I've been concerned abt this as well, and as far as I can tell, will have to re-verify each time I change the address back to Australia, where I actually live 100% of the time. I only change to US address to use a U.S. based CC
Why do you need to be logged-in when you do the booking? Just book using a private window and then add your MP number afterwards. At least on two occasions the fare was lower for me than it was when I was logged in...
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:55 am

When you get that message just do the search again. It works for me.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
This would still seem to indicate United's intent is to cut down on people dodging PQD requirements by using a foreign address by not allowing you to also use a US credit card, even if United's IT isn't apparently up to the task.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:10 am

It's been this way for me for a while now. Usually when I click through a flight search engine. At least since feb.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

This would still seem to indicate United's intent is to cut down on people dodging PQD requirements by using a foreign address by not allowing you to also use a US credit card, even if United's IT isn't apparently up to the task.
This is NOT my experience at all.
No problems here with foreign address and using a US credit card with US billing address.
Just need to be logged in when you purchase on united's website.
If you have suspicions about pricing on their website, just use an OTA like orbitz or expedia. No questions asked there!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by izzik
This is NOT my experience at all.
No problems here with foreign address and using a US credit card with US billing address.
Just need to be logged in when you purchase on united's website.
If you have suspicions about pricing on their website, just use an OTA like orbitz or expedia. No questions asked there!
Likewise

Purchased tickets this way for months, and even last week. I frequently get the billing address error if I'm not logged in yet when I try to purchase, but when I log in and do my search again, it displays in USD and I can buy with a US credit card, even though my main address is overseas.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No it does not - it's a known error, can be bypassed, and has no logic behind it - who cares if you use a US credit card?

There is no logic to assume there is any benefit in blocking foreign members from using US credit cards when we can simply go off ua.com to do the booking with whatever credit card we want.

I don't want to use a Canadian credit card and pay higher fares - I can use ua.com, any OLTA, or my own access to Apollo to buy the same ticket with my US card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.