Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today MileagePlus updated the Premier qualification requirements for 2016.

Effective January 1, 2015, we are adjusting the PQD requirement for Premier status qualification for all Premier levels:
  • Silver: $3,000
  • Gold: $6,000
  • Platinum: $9,000
  • 1K: $12,000
This change affects 2016 Premier status qualification which is based on 2015 flight activity. You can find more information about the updated requirements and PQD waivers by visiting this link.

We will communicate this information to members shortly.

-UA Insider
From UA:

Subject: Updated MileagePlus Premier requirements for 2016 status

"Our best customers come first"

"Customers who do more business with us should enjoy our best benefits.

Last year, we introduced Premier® qualifying dollars (PQD) so customers who spend more with us can enjoy more access to benefits like Premier upgrades, Economy Plus® seating and Premier Access®. On January 1, 2015, we will adjust our PQD requirement for 2016 Premier status."

Then the new chart with $3K, $6K, $9K, $12K

"The PQD requirement only applies to members who live in the U.S. and can be waived for members who hold a United® MileagePlus® Presidential PlusSM Card, or members who spend $25,000 or more in Net Purchases in 2015 on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank, N.A.. The PQD waiver does not apply for Premier 1K® status."

From inquiry on why
.... over the years members have told us that they want to be recognized for how much they pay to fly those miles. This change also reflects a trend that has been emerging in loyalty programs across many industries and among our competitors. ...
MileagePlus® Service Center
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120
As soon as they announced the PQD rules, I started cutting back on my UA flying AND on the purchase of incidentals like extra PQM. If they counted upgrade $$, I would still be flying 100K a year on UA. Instead, my flying this year will be just over 50K per year and around 35K next year. Great job, Jeff!
Originally Posted by Baze
My point exactly. And I bet you are not alone in doing this.
Yeah but UA doesn't care about losing 10 cpm "elite" flyers. It believes they are 100% replaceable either at no cost, or - even better - at lower cost, since non-status pax have to pay extra for items the elite would get for free. Nor does UA care about losing the upgrade co-pays . . . upgrade space is already in short supply and it knows those front cabin seats will generate revenue regardless.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah but UA doesn't care about losing 10 cpm "elite" flyers. It believes they are 100% replaceable either at no cost, or - even better - at lower cost, since non-status pax have to pay extra for items the elite would get for free. Nor does UA care about losing the upgrade co-pays . . . upgrade space is already in short supply and it knows those front cabin seats will generate revenue regardless.
Who said either halls or I are 10 cpm fliers? I am well above that. But they haven't lost me, yet. Don't know what halls spend was.

Edit to add, true, I don't need the extra PQD if I do a buy up as I more than meet the requirements. But it always just seemed odd to me that they count E+ purchases but not buy ups.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Doesn't make sense that they don't count TOD upgrades. If it ever gets to the point where they're doing TODs, it means that upgrade space is not in short supply and they're in danger of having seats in the front cabin go out empty. And if they ever lose money on upgrades because they don't have any F or C seats left to sell outright, then it means that their inventory management sucks.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Baze
Who said either halls or I are 10 cpm fliers? I am well above that. But they haven't lost me, yet. Don't know what halls spend was.
I didn't intend to make any comment on your flying patterns, I was just quoting your response to halls120, who said he has cut his flying with UA way back due to PQD requirement. Not sure why anyone would do that if they were going to meet the 12 cpm threshold.

btw, I'm a 10 cpm flyer this year. I'm sure UA would shed no tears if I moved elsewhere

Originally Posted by STS-134
DIf it ever gets to the point where they're doing TODs, it means that upgrade space is not in short supply and they're in danger of having seats in the front cabin go out empty.
Not sure I agree with that. Sale of upgrades does not mean there's a risk F seats will go out empty. UA will sell upgrades all the way to F0 with an upgrade waitlist 50 pax long.

btw, the true TOD (tens of dollars upgrade) is a rarity.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 25, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't intend to make any comment on your flying patterns, I was just quoting your response to Halls120, who said he has cut his flying with UA way back due to PQD requirement. Not sure why anyone would do that if they were going to meet the 12 cpm threshold.

btw, I'm a 10 cpm flyer this year. I'm sure UA would shed no tears if I moved elsewhere

Not sure I agree with that. Sale of upgrades does not mean there's a risk F seats will go out empty. UA will sell upgrades all the way to F0 with an upgrade waitlist 50 pax long.

I'm a 16-17 cpm flier and I don't think UA would shed a tear if I left either. They would probably jump for joy and yell, there goes another over entitled elite. But I stick with them as they meet my flying needs out of SFO.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Doesn't make sense that they don't count TOD upgrades. If it ever gets to the point where they're doing TODs, it means that upgrade space is not in short supply and they're in danger of having seats in the front cabin go out empty. And if they ever lose money on upgrades because they don't have any F or C seats left to sell outright, then it means that their inventory management sucks.
And you wouldn't buy a nice TOD upgrade because you're not getting TODs PQDs? I sincerely doubt that. Someone else will certainly buy them.

The argument about what counts and what should count can go on forever. It's United's program and they get to dictate what counts.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

Let me rephrase. It means that there is a risk of UA not getting any revenue from F seats (on domestic flights). On international flights though (which is what I was referring to), my argument holds.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
And you wouldn't buy a nice TOD upgrade because you're not getting TODs PQDs? I sincerely doubt that. Someone else will certainly buy them.
On international flights, I would generally be using upgrade instruments and paying the copay. On domestic flights, I wouldn't buy a TOD upgrade because I'm hoping for the CPU, and because I don't think domestic F is a good enough product to pay for. On the other hand, if I were say $200 short in PQD and I got offered an upgrade to domestic F for $300 and it counts for PQD...sure, why not. But if UA decides to not count it for PQD, I won't take it, and maybe the next taker only buys in at $200, which costs UA $100 in revenue.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
What would be considered a nice TOD? I recently got offered an upgrade into GF for about $1300 for ORD-HKG. I was originally on a W fare that I upgraded into R with a GPU. I thought about doing the upgrade so I could say I tried GF but then I realized I wouldn't get PQD credit for the upgrade and decided against it. I understand/agree with the comment above that the upgrade itself is the reward but I could have been swayed into the upgrade if I would have also gotten PQD credit. I just didn't think the reward alone was worth it.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:38 pm

I didn't intend to make any comment on your flying patterns, I was just quoting your response to halls120, who said he has cut his flying with UA way back due to PQD requirement. Not sure why anyone would do that if they were going to meet the 12 cpm threshold.
PQD was the straw that broke the camel's back. When you add that to the mix of crappy slimline seats, the coming 10 across in Y, dark airplanes, disappearing CPUs, hard to use GPUs, treating customers as the enemy, and poor operations, why chase 1K?

I have been a liberal user of miles and money copay for purchases, and straight buy ups when offered and I thought they were reasonable. IOW, I spent a lot more than just the 10-12cpm I spent on the base ticket. As soon as the PQD was announced, I knew it wouldn't stay at $10K for 1K.

It simply annoys me that I can spend well north of $12K with UA, but they refuse to count much of it. So I've decided to spend much of that elsewhere. Like at AA, where I can buy $50 e-certs and have a better UG percentage as a Plat there than I have as a 1K at UA. Like at DL, where I don't have to worry about not getting to my destination in a timely manner.

I'm not leaving UA altogether. I have 3 more R/Ts on UA this year, but I have 4 on AA. In prior years, that would have been all but one or two on UA.

On the other hand, if I were say $200 short in PQD and I got offered an upgrade to domestic F for $300 and it counts for PQD...sure, why not. But if UA decides to not count it for PQD, I won't take it, and maybe the next taker only buys in at $200, which costs UA $100 in revenue.
This is exactly what UA is no longer getting from me.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TomMM
What would be considered a nice TOD? I recently got offered an upgrade into GF for about $1300 for ORD-HKG. I was originally on a W fare that I upgraded into R with a GPU. I thought about doing the upgrade so I could say I tried GF but then I realized I wouldn't get PQD credit for the upgrade and decided against it. I understand/agree with the comment above that the upgrade itself is the reward but I could have been swayed into the upgrade if I would have also gotten PQD credit. I just didn't think the reward alone was worth it.
No, I totally understand the decision. If those $1300 are needed to get to a particular status level (and assuming you want that status level), I guess you're gonna have to buy a seat on another flight .

For $1300 and no PQDs, I might have been tempted to get out of 8-across BF on a 777. Probably would have ultimately turned it down, not because of the lack of PQDs, but because I'm generally cheap.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
I thought about doing the upgrade so I could say I tried GF but then I realized I wouldn't get PQD credit for the upgrade and decided against it.
So the seat probably went to a non-rev.

UA makes all sorts of dumb profit minimizing decisions relative to upgrades.

They will, for example, sell an upgrade to a non-status pax for less than they would have collected in baggage fees had the pax stayed in Y.

There was a report just last week of a member who was waitlisted for a MP upgrade at 30,000 miles plus $500 co-pay who was offered (and took) the buy-up for $534 - meaning UA essentially sold him 30,000 miles for $34.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I don't think it makes sense, even to the bean counters at UA. I think something about SHARES actually prevents them from counting upgrade copays and TOD upgrades, probably because it's old spaghetti code and they can't figure out what does what.
Bingo, while I don't work for the airlines, I work in a related industry and I'll just say that these reservation systems were all written 30 years ago back when coding practices were very different from today and code documentation wasn't as big a thing back then as it is today. Likely the person who originally wrote all the SHARES code is long retired and thus, took all their knowledge with them. I think these systems need a massive re-write using modern conventions and documentation and with more built in flexibility to have more features in the future.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
2017 PQD waiver with Pres CC

I did a search in this forum and did not see any mention of this. Has there been any announcement of a PQD waiver with 25K spend on Pres CC for up to Platinum status for 2017?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:32 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by timbre
I did a search in this forum and did not see any mention of this. Has there been any announcement of a PQD waiver with 25K spend on Pres CC for up to Platinum status for 2017?
This is being discussed/debated in the other thread about changes for the 2016 MP program.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by timbre
UA Insider has confirmed that the waiver will remain the same for 2017 qualification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.