Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reporting value of lost items w/o receipt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC

I recently flew UA to a conference. At the conference, the organizers gave some of the attendees a nice gift: a GoPro camera. You can probably guess why I'm asking; when I got back to HSV my suitcase had gone rogue. The only item worth more than $100 in the bag for which I don't have a receipt is the camera; I have receipts for my electric razor, running shoes, etc.

I have Facebook and blog posts from other attendees talking about the gift, so I think I can demonstrate that I did in fact get one. Is UA likely to try to stiff me on the value of the camera when I claim it because I didn't buy it?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You won't be getting compensation for a GoPro in checked baggage, receipt or not, per Contract of Carriage RULE 28 (K) (3) (x)

Why would you put a camera in checked baggage?!?!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Despite the hyperbole on FT I've probably checked my camera 300 times in the past 10 years.

Indeed, airline liability is limited on expensive items in checked bags. Homeowners insurance for loss is your recourse.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
... Why would you put a camera in checked baggage?!?!
Probably has never read CoC (as has not 99.9% of the traveling public) or was aware of the lack of coverage for cameras in checked bags.

For OP's reference {BTW it took about 10 minutes of focused looking to find this -- far from obvious....
United recommends that you do not pack high-value, fragile or perishable items in your checked baggage. United will accept such items as carry-on baggage (subject to carry-on baggage allowances) or as checked baggage (subject to checked baggage allowances). If you choose to pack high-value, fragile or perishable items in or as checked baggage in connection with travel within the United States, United is not liable for the loss of, damage to or delay in delivery of such items. For most international travel, United’s liability for destruction, loss, delay or damage to checked and unchecked baggage is limited.

Examples of high-value, fragile or perishable items for which United is not liable (in the case of travel within the United States) or for which United’s liability may be limited (in the case of most international travel) include, but are not limited to:
Photographic/cinematographic/audio/video equipment, cameras and related items
So, not sure of the need for snarky response for such a buried limitation.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I think mduell was wondering why someone would check something like that at all, not wondering why GoPro owner wasn't familiar with baggage liability limits....

Also pointed out CoC limitation, which I didn't perceive as snark, just info.

If it was presented as "Why in heck would you check a camera when CoC clearly states...", then it's snarkish.

I don't check my cheapo Panasonic camera - not out of fear of losing it, but fear it might get damaged somewhere in the bowels of the airport. Just want to avoid the hassle of damage/loss - and who knows? You might have to take a picture of a GA sometime

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 9, 2014 at 8:56 pm Reason: Speling
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So, not sure of the need for snarky response for such a buried limitation.
That there is a specific exemption from cameras may be buried or not well known, but to think that UA is going to cover valuable electronics in checked baggage defies common sense.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think mduell was wondering why someone would check something like that at all, not wondering why GoPro owner wasn't familiar with baggage liability limits....

Also pointed out CoC limitation, which I didn't perceive as snark, just info.

If it was presented as "Why in heck would you check a camera when CoC clearly states...", then it's snarkish.
In WineCountry's defense, the "?!?!?" on the end of the original question implies a bit of snark.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
In WineCountry's defense, the "?!?!?" on the end of the original question implies a bit of snark.
If the OP had put $1000 cash in a suitcase, I'd use the same punctuation. More surprise than scolding. I guess the boundary is mushy...
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Despite the hyperbole on FT I've probably checked my camera 300 times in the past 10 years.

Indeed, airline liability is limited on expensive items in checked bags. Homeowners insurance for loss is your recourse.
Well, if you take FT as the bible for flying you would think every bag is lost or delayed, every flight is the worst in history and every UA employee is a dragon.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If the OP had put $1000 cash in a suitcase, ......
The low end GoPros are sub-$200, similiar to many moderate point-n-shoots.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That CofC passage is worthwhile to know about/have a copy of, when a pax is forced to gate check a carry-on.

The distinction between domestic & international is noteworthy as well.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Did the suitcase actually go rogue or is it camping at a hub somewhere?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: AADULtArer
There is considerable exposure traveling with camera equipment. Checked luggage can be damaged by a thin film of dust, and while one shutters at the thought of loss, tell photo buffs about this aperture of risk. F. Stop.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
That CofC passage is worthwhile to know about/have a copy of, when a pax is forced to gate check a carry-on.
The wise passenger will take a moment to remove the problematic articles from the bag about to be gate-checked. Gate check doesn't change the airline's contractual responsibility.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Communities which say they care about tone and things like codes of conduct sometimes use the phrase "feigning surprise" to describe a behavior they don't like. "What, you haven't heard of feigning surprise? Ha" is an example of something those communities try to discourage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.