Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reporting value of lost items w/o receipt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reporting value of lost items w/o receipt?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
Thumbs down

I knew the COC set liability limits, and that those limits might exclude the camera. Since it was a freebie, if I don't get it back or get reimbursed it isn't the end of the world.

Starblazer asked whether the suitcase was actually LOST lost or just taking a vacation. AFAICT here's what happened. On 11/6 I checked the bag for SEA-DEN-HSV. When I arrived HSV, the bag hadn't been loaded in SEA. I was told it was en route SEA-IAH-HSV and that I'd get it later that day. Then... nothing.

I called the baggage desk several times on 11/7. Each time I was told that the bag was out for delivery, with various excuses about why it hadn't reached me yet.

On the morning of 11/8 I went to HSV and met two very helpful ticket agents who told me that a) the bag showed as scanned into HSV on 11/6, b) the delivery file had apparently been closed by an agent in CAE and c) the delivery file didn't show a cost, which is normally added once the delivery company takes possession of the suitcase. Many phone calls ensued.

As of right this minute, the file's been reopened, but no one seems to know where the actual physical suitcase is. HSV is a small airport and it doesn't seem to be in the storage area at the airport. The delivery company wasn't answering their phones over the weekend, so maybe they still have it. Or maybe someone, accidentally or on purpose, took it when it arrived from the IAH-HSV flight.

In the meantime, I am gathering receipts for the things that are covered (my new running shoes), trying to get replacements for the things that aren't (the conference jacket I was given), and waiting juuuuust a little longer before I start ordering replacements for stuff that I have pressing needs for (charger for GPS watch, SportsLegs, sunglasses). What a pain.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by paulr
Starblazer asked whether the suitcase was actually LOST lost or just taking a vacation. AFAICT here's what happened. On 11/6 I checked the bag for SEA-DEN-HSV. When I arrived HSV, the bag hadn't been loaded in SEA. I was told it was en route SEA-IAH-HSV and that I'd get it later that day. Then... nothing.

I called the baggage desk several times on 11/7. Each time I was told that the bag was out for delivery, with various excuses about why it hadn't reached me yet.
So, there's still hope. In my experience, the only truly lost luggage was the stuff that went to the hub and then stopped. Nothing. No tracking, no FWDs, no getting shipped to CAE....

Heck, I'm still tracing some planeside gate check tags from October that I keep getting glimmers of hope on. I think I may have found them, I just have to make a couple phone calls when I get into work today.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Probably has never read CoC (as has not 99.9% of the traveling public) or was aware of the lack of coverage for cameras in checked bags.
Good news, he was aware of the possibility and where to look:

Originally Posted by paulr
I knew the COC set liability limits, and that those limits might exclude the camera.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Chances are that it will turn up. If the bag made it to HSV and UA knows which courier service it used, you can likely call the courier service ostensibly to get a delivery time and it will likely show up.

But if it doesn't show up, unfortunately, if it's not covered under the COC, it's likely excluded under your homeowners or any other commercial policy. Additionally, if the retail for the camera is around $200, you can bet that some event planner for a conference buying X of those items, didn't pay even close to that. This also gets into deductibles and the fact that making claims against homeowners for smallish amounts is a losing proposition.

As to other items, don't kill yourself on receipts. Most people don't keep them for small items with no warranty. UA and other carriers use estimates of fair market value (not replacement value) to come up with what they will pay, receipt or not. The shirt for which you paid $75 a month ago might be worth $25 today and so on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.