Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Website error booking ticket with partner segment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:37 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I'm trying to book a ticket that includes one segment on ANA, and keep getting the error message "We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request. Please try later or contact united.com Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-800-396-1751." When I called, the phone rep told me that the problem is the ANA segment, and that I should book an itinerary that includes only UA flights. I didn't find that very helpful (there aren't any UA-only itineraries that work).

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions for how to resolve it? I'm guessing HUACA, but thought I'd check quickly here first.

In case it matters, the itinerary was a paid business class roundtrip from the US to TPE.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Sorry you are having trouble booking the ticket.

It does crack me up that United could not offer a resolution for buying a business class ticket on their Joint Venture partner.

Did the phone agent really not try to piece together the itinerary manually for you?

I would HUCA if you really need to book the ticket on United.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
This happened to me a few days ago too. I bought a complex DXB-U.S. open jaw, with the last two segments on LX. I had a few unsuccessful attempts where I got the same error as you after submitting my credit card. A further attempt worked, but I got an e-mail a few hours later:

Dear/XXXXX;

Thank you for booking your travel on www.united.com.
We are unable to ticket the above-referenced reservation. Some airlines require 24 hours to confirm a seat on their flight. In this case, we were unable to confirm your flight(s) on ******* Airlines [sic]. Please call us at 800-UNITED1 (800-864-8331) so we can assist you in making alternate arrangements. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,

United.com Web Support
I called web support, who started by saying that partners can't confirm the inventory right away "for obvious reasons." I replied that it's not obvious at all; I can certainly buy a mixed-carrier itinerary on an OTA and not have this problem.

I was on the phone for two hours, where the agent ended up being helpful. She went back and forth with the "rate desk" and the "ticketing desk." She found me a LH flight to AUH instead (which never came up as available in my search) for around 15% higher fare. My original itinerary was a mix of D and S fares; the new one, including some of the segments that didn't change, was D and B, so it suited me fine and I purchased it.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:55 am
Original Member
Original Poster

An update: HUACA worked.

On my second call back, the support rep was able to book the ticket for me. It took more than a half hour on the phone, and while I was waiting, one of the UA segments sold out, so I had to pick a slightly less convenient flight time. But the ticket did eventually get booked.

I'd really like it if United would iron out its website problems...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.