Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

First-Time UA Traveller; What to Expect for LAX-HNL-LAX Flights in Y/F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Silver, Executive Club Blue, Miles & More, Priority Club Gold, Skywards Blue

Hi all,
I'm booked on my very first flights with United in Jan and Feb next year.
Flying with Virgin from LHR to LAX and a week later on UA to HNL in Economy.
Flying back from HNL to LAX will be in First and will be my very first experience in domestic First.
My flight leaves at 6.30am.
What can I expect in terms of ground services (priority lanes, lounge access) and inflight services? I've had a look on UA website but nothing beats first hand advice !
Many thanks in advance !

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 5, 2014 at 4:11 am Reason: we require more descriptive thread titles - http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#threadtitles
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
United virgin ;)

Premier Access lane at check-in and security. Boarding Group 1. One-time lounge access for $50, if the United Club is open.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:40 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Breakfast, usually an omelet with sausage or cereal both items come with fruit and yogurt, cinnamon bun or croissant. Probably a snack basket about half way through the flight if offered be sure and try the Cape Cod potato chips if any left by the time it gets to you.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Silver, Executive Club Blue, Miles & More, Priority Club Gold, Skywards Blue
sannmann, thanks for your answer ! $50 sounds a bit steep to me, surprised that it's not complimentary but that's my European ways ...
sfo, many thanks for the details, I will seat in 2F so will make sure that I grab one pack if I see one
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Expect to play the Halfway to Hawaii game on the outbound leg.

Have a good trip!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Madone59
Expect to play the Halfway to Hawaii game on the outbound leg.

Have a good trip!
You can expect to play it, but it's gotten VERY sporadic. I haven't keep exact count, but probably on less than half of my 9 trips so far this year LAX/SFO/DEN to OGG/HNL. Remember having more luck on the 752s than 753/737s - probably reflecting sUA crews. Don't recall it on the one IAH-HNL flight.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
The mai tai's are a novelty of F to Hawaii. Otherwise, very little to write home about other than a more comfy chair.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
In economy expect nothing other than 2 drink services and group 3-5 boarding. In F it will be something very similar to what sfo posted above and group 1 boarding.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all!!!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 2:52 pm

I love that someone is excited at the prospect of flying to HHL.

I have been on more aeroplanes than trains this year so I am over it.

It is so refreshing to sense your anticipation and with your attitude will absolutely love Hawai'i

Safe travels
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
What to expect? Not much. If you keep your expectations low, you'll be satisfied.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
I had my 6th Hawaii visit last week. For some reason I just love the Hawaiian Islands.

I used to find even the flight part exciting - recently as 5 years ago when the Trader Vic's menus were still around, and the Mai Thai came with fruit. I know it's hard to fathom such good living ever existed. Last week on HNL - EWR the only good thing seemed to be the lie flats. Even on those 10 + hour segments the experience is just as described for the LAX - HNL route. And, for the record, there was no halfway game.

UA has really killed the thrill on getting to this destination. Good news is once you step off the plane all is well. Have a great trip.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
You should expect to get to HNL and get back and not much else..
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
What to expect? Not much. If you keep your expectations low, you'll be satisfied.
+1 Although IME SFO-HNL always has the best crew, even in Y.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You can expect to play it, but it's gotten VERY sporadic. I haven't keep exact count, but probably on less than half of my 9 trips so far this year LAX/SFO/DEN to OGG/HNL. Remember having more luck on the 752s than 753/737s - probably reflecting sUA crews. Don't recall it on the one IAH-HNL flight.

Game discontinued at least four months ago. They are looking for a new sponsor.

Here is a post from. US Insider on July 2nd

Hi everyone,

Some further context and history here. We look for a marketing sponsor on these promotions so that we can feasibly offer a program structure and a prize that’s interesting, fun, and relevant to the destination. Although our current marketing agreement has ended, we have been actively seeking sponsors and concepts for a new Halfway to Hawaii-type promotion, and we would love to bring it back. While the previous promotion had a great run over many decades, it had indeed also run its course in its current format (which, yes, is not that difficult to “decode”). If we can find a new sponsor for the game, we’d look to update it to something fresh and new.

-UA Insider

Last edited by LAXOGG; Nov 5, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.