Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who will be the first FTer to go to SFO Centurion Club in UA terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who will be the first FTer to go to SFO Centurion Club in UA terminal?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I did not realize it would be airside so close to the UA domestic gates. Visited the "new" UA Club at SFO couple weeks ago. Very disappointed with windowless environment and same old offerings.

Was in DFW last week arriving late and was able to have a small dinner at the Amex lounge before heading to the GH DFW. The Amex lounges are much welcomed anywhere by me.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Given the easy walking distance to the int'l gates and the dismal offerings in the United Clubs, IMO, the new lounge will be crowded most of the time.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mre5765
If you plan to make lots of calls, the UC is better for you.
I had a lot of trouble trying to find a quiet place to hold a short phone meeting in any of the several IAH United Clubs — the cubicles are adjacent to seating areas and I felt like I was disturbing someone by talking on the phone, even when I picked an empty bank of cubicles.

Other locations have better meeting spaces. BOS has a great walled-off area. My gold standard here is the LH Senator lounges and FCLs at FRA, which have small rooms with doors you can use for calls.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: UA1K
is the food/drink free? if so, i could see a lot of people that don't have the black or plat card paying the $50 if it's light years better than the UC.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by haddon90
is the food/drink free? if so, i could see a lot of people that don't have the black or plat card paying the $50 if it's light years better than the UC.
Food and drink are free and excellent. Comparable to any restaurant you will find within an airport. Food is self serve, drink is from a bartender. But worth $50? Maybe if arriving on a long haul and in need of a shower; $50 is much less than a hotel, and much more convenient. You are better off just getting a platinum card, IMHO. Wait for another 100K mile offer and get one.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
I had a lot of trouble trying to find a quiet place to hold a short phone meeting in any of the several IAH United Clubs — the cubicles are adjacent to seating areas and I felt like I was disturbing someone by talking on the phone, even when I picked an empty bank of cubicles.

Other locations have better meeting spaces. BOS has a great walled-off area. My gold standard here is the LH Senator lounges and FCLs at FRA, which have small rooms with doors you can use for calls.
The cubes are there for making calls. If people in seating areas don't like it, they can move elsewhere, or leave the lounge. Had a long layover at LAX, and used the CO-era UC instead of the pmUA-era UC (because I thought, erroneously that that the pmUA UC at LAX didn't have cubes ... just the desks in the bull pen ... realized on a later visit that there are some cubs) and it was a similar situation. Worked out just fine.

Last edited by mre5765; Nov 4, 2014 at 9:41 am
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by Billiken
Given the easy walking distance to the int'l gates and the dismal offerings in the United Clubs, IMO, the new lounge will be crowded most of the time.
Agree. And SMI/J and company will be pleased that their Coke and cracker budget can be cutback with fewer club goers. That's how they compete!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
.....Visited the "new" UA Club at SFO couple weeks ago. ....
This is a temporary club until the "new" T3E UC is constructed.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:26 am

I am flying to LHR by BA tomorrow. Can I access the Amex lounge as the BA flights are from different terminal? (I have the Amex Plat)

If yes, is there a way to walk from Amex lounge to the BA gate or do I have to clear security again?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
The inclusion of complimentary access to the Centurion Lounges coupled with the diminished quality of UCs was the main reason I decided to recently reinstate my Amex Plat card. Looking forward to visiting the new LGA location when I fly out next week.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by west_end_NYC
The inclusion of complimentary access to the Centurion Lounges coupled with the diminished quality of UCs was the main reason I decided to recently reinstate my Amex Plat card. Looking forward to visiting the new LGA location when I fly out next week.
It's very nice! The folks in the LGA UC told me that a lot of folks check in there and then wander over to the Centurion Lounge. It is just down the hall (when you use the upstairs door to the left of the desk where the agents sit.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by flyer0123
If yes, is there a way to walk from Amex lounge to the BA gate or do I have to clear security again?
Although you can walk from the international terminal to the domestic terminals, what you can't do is connect in the secure area between UA (domestic or international) and BA, so you would need to clear security separately for both BA and UA. You can walk from UA international over to UA domestic in the secure area if you enter from that side. BA and UA are on separate international piers.

One poster above says the TSA will let you in any terminal with a boarding pass. You'll need to try that out and see if it works. Haven't tried that myself.

Originally Posted by flyer0123
She said they are targeting United terminal first, then AA to compensate for loss of access to these lounges by AMEX card holders, and to offer a great product where it is most needed......
Any mention of the timetable to connect T2 and T3? I thought that was something 10 years out. Can't see AA flyers wanting to clear security twice just to use the AMEX lounge.

Last edited by tom911; Nov 5, 2014 at 11:20 am Reason: Removed quote of now-deleted post
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by mre5765
Food and drink are free and excellent. Comparable to any restaurant you will find within an airport. Food is self serve, drink is from a bartender. But worth $50? Maybe if arriving on a long haul and in need of a shower; $50 is much less than a hotel, and much more convenient. You are better off just getting a platinum card, IMHO. Wait for another 100K mile offer and get one.
if on a long layover, it may be worth it. i've been stuck at LAX for a long time before and ended up spending <$50 at the bar/restaurant i was at. so $50 for this might not be bad if you are somewhere for 3 or more hours.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tom911
One poster above says the TSA will let you in any terminal with a boarding pass. You'll need to try that out and see if it works. Haven't tried that myself.
TSA doesn't operate the passenger check-points at SFO. Passenger and baggage screening is provided by Covenant Aviation Security pursuant to contract with the federal government.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Kacee
TSA doesn't operate the passenger check-points at SFO. Passenger and baggage screening is provided by Covenant Aviation Security pursuant to contract with the federal government.
Originally Posted by tom911
And your point is? Does that somehow impact entry into the UA terminal whether I call them TSA, screeners, or Covenant Security? Does Covenant Security operate with a different rulebook?
I don't show my boarding pass to TSA, just place it (my phone) face down on the scanner. They only see my ID. Don't think it matters to TSA which airline/terminal as long as I have a valid BP and go through security measures. Think that was the point.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:56 am

Pictures! (though it is a BA blog...)
http://travelskills.com/2014/11/05/f...on-lounge-sfo/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.