Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to use UA.com to book partner flights to earn PQDs, booking PQMs,... Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If a partner option will not show on united.com for a paid booking {likely a lack of codeshare}, see if it will show as a award booking. Award booking usually provide an option to purchase for $$$.

Related threads
Free Method for Getting 016/UA-Issued Tix for PQD
Will UA issue tickets on partner airlines if no UA/*A flight on itinerary?
Print Wikipost

How to use UA.com to book partner flights to earn PQDs, booking PQMs,... Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Sure you can do both.

For PQM: buy a ticket in a booking class that qualifies for PQM based on the UA MP partner charts.

For PQD: buy a ticket in a booking class that qualifies for RDM (from the same chart above) and is issued on UA's 016 stock.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
... For PQD: buy a ticket in a booking class that qualifies for RDM (from the same chart above) and is issued on UA's 016 stock.
While correct, that may be easier said than done in the OP's case.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't disagree, but it should be possible if expensive (high booking class to avoid plating restrictions).
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Just found out - not ALL 016 tickets earn PQD's

I was pretty surprised - although I am not going to miss the $56

This was Aeromar Airlines - ticketed on 016 bought on ua.com
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

That's always been the case for non-UA partners. Didn't earn any PQD, PQM, or PQS on some itineraries including a LATAM flight.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by VWang1111

That's always been the case for non-UA partners. Didn't earn any PQD, PQM, or PQS on some itineraries including a LATAM flight.
Except they are listed as partners and out of roughly 10 flights, some have earned PQM and miles, some haven't and none have earned PQD - I can't get a common answer from mileage plus service center as well

Basically if I fly XXX-MEX-VER with MEX-VER on Aeromar, I earned miles and PQM, If I flew VER-MEX-XXX with VER-MEX on Aeromar - I earned only miles
Also, sometime it was miles flown and sometimes it was fare amt x 11 - all on 016 ticket stock

Wasn't enough miles to continue to waste my time calling, so I gave up.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Except they are listed as partners and out of roughly 10 flights, some have earned PQM and miles, some haven't and none have earned PQD - I can't get a common answer from mileage plus service center as well

Basically if I fly XXX-MEX-VER with MEX-VER on Aeromar, I earned miles and PQM, If I flew VER-MEX-XXX with VER-MEX on Aeromar - I earned only miles
Also, sometime it was miles flown and sometimes it was fare amt x 11 - all on 016 ticket stock

Did it earn RDM based on distance? That would be odd. Non-earning fare class will not earn anything. Guess it might be the same with Amtrak on 016 ticket, does not earn PQD even on a 016 ticket ... but you said you earned PQD before so my best guess is that the mapped booking class is not eligible.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you click through to the Aeromar page, you'll find that there is no mention of premier qualification at all, but it does have the 016 vs non-016 breakdown. The only place "PQD" appears is in footnote 1, where it mentions that you won't earn PQD for the taxes.

I would say that the intent was not to provide PQDs, but that somebody couldn't figure out how to code that and still do fare-based accrual.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Did it earn RDM based on distance? That would be odd. Non-earning fare class will not earn anything. Guess it might be the same with Amtrak on 016 ticket, does not earn PQD even on a 016 ticket ... but you said you earned PQD before so my best guess is that the mapped booking class is not eligible.
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you click through to the Aeromar page, you'll find that there is no mention of premier qualification at all, but it does have the 016 vs non-016 breakdown. The only place "PQD" appears is in footnote 1, where it mentions that you won't earn PQD for the taxes.

I would say that the intent was not to provide PQDs, but that somebody couldn't figure out how to code that and still do fare-based accrual.
No, I earned miles - sometimes based on distance, sometimes on fare value

I never earned or ever expected to earn PQD

I earned PQM when they weren't the first carrier of the trip

BACK to why i made the statement - if you look above several people said "If it is 016 stock, you earn PQD" I was merely pointing out that is not always true - and it isn't

I NEVER thought i SHOULD earn it, I was merely stating I didn't and it was 016 ticket stock

PQM have been hit or miss as well as miles have been miles based and fare based - so VoV

AFAIK - Miles is the ONLY thing I should actually get from that segment
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Aeromar is not *A, so shouldn’t earn PQ-anything. Only *A flights earn PQM (and PQD if booked on UA stock). AC, I believe, used to have (and maybe still does) some non * partners that earned elite qualifying if booked on the AC codeshare flight number - I think Jet Airways might have been one. But i don’t think UA has non-* partners that earn like that.

It has never been the case all 016 tickets earn PQD. Only 016 tickets, however, as well as UA segments booked on other stock crediting to UA, earn PQD. And they need to be in an earning fare class - some don’t earn any mileage or PQD.

Originally Posted by jsloan

agreed. Even PQM are only earned on * partners, not other. So PQD definitely wouldn’t be earned on non-*, even on 016 stock.

No, I earned miles - sometimes based on distance, sometimes on fare value

I never earned or ever expected to earn PQD

I earned PQM when they weren't the first carrier of the trip
any PQD earned on Aeromar segments is an error - plain and simple. Definitely be lucky you earned a few extra PQM. And also don’t be surprised if at some point, UA takes them back if they realize the error. Been done before.

As to how they are credited, according to Aeromar page, they are supposed to be credited by fare (which in itself is a bit odd). So if you got credited more when they credited by distance, again be lucky. If you got less, I’d call and ask to have it re-done properly.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
... any PQD earned on Aeromar segments is an error - plain and simple. ...
UA gives the impression this should earn PQDs as documented here

Aeromar is a mileageplus partner and it was an 016 ticket
However if it was a non-mileage earning fare class on VW, then no.

Non-mileage earn fare classes on VW are
No mileage credit A, C, D, E, F, I, J, L, O, P, R, U, X
Appears deep discount economy fares are non-mileage earning and therefore no PQDs,

Why? You have to dig deep for this one, Additional Conditions
If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying miles, segments or dollars.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 21, 2019 at 6:29 pm Reason: Additional conditions
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:27 pm

OK, this is getting out of hand and now the posts have been moved and it is taken out of context....

Previously in a different thread.....

Someone ELSE - made a statement

All 016 ticket stock flights earn PQD

I was simply refuting that claim and now everyone seems to think i didn't know it was going to happen

What i didn't expect was the PQM, which i received (and shouldn't have and Mileage plus can't seem to figure out why)

Also, i should have been credited miles (like sky pesos - but for UA - just regular old miles to buy tickets with miles) were sometimes credited (incorrectly) due to flight distance - sometimes by fare paid x 11 - again, no one at mileage plus can figure out why

So - one more time -
PQD were not expected
PQD were not earned
ticket was 016 - not ALL 016 ticket stock earns PQD - which someone on a different thread was saying - but now that the posts are moved it doesn't much matter as this thread seems to be all about the fact that the system works as advertised
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:33 pm

ticket was 016 - not ALL 016 ticket stock earns PQD - which someone on a different thread was saying - but now that the posts are moved it doesn't much matter as this thread seems to be all about the fact that the system works as advertised
Updated the post before yours with the details but generally 016 partner flights WILL earn PQDs UNLESS the fare class is non-mileage earning -- same for *A flights.

This is likely why you see varying results. VW just happens have many non-mileage earning fares.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe

Aeromar is not *A, so shouldn’t earn PQ-anything. Only *A flights earn PQM (and PQD if booked on UA stock). AC, I believe, used to have (and maybe still does) some non * partners that earned elite qualifying if booked on the AC codeshare flight number - I think Jet Airways might have been one. But i don’t think UA has non-* partners that earn like that.

It has never been the case all 016 tickets earn PQD. Only 016 tickets, however, as well as UA segments booked on other stock crediting to UA, earn PQD. And they need to be in an earning fare class - some don’t earn any mileage or PQD.

That's absolute utter nonsense. There are plenty of non-*A airlines that earn PQM. Some, but not limited to are ... EW, WK, AD

Fares that book into earning booking classes on 016 will always earn PQD, e.g. on HA inter-island flights.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Updated the post before yours with the details but generally 016 partner flights WILL earn PQDs UNLESS the fare class is non-mileage earning -- same for *A flights.

This is likely why you see varying results. VW just happens have many non-mileage earning fares.

Right, but for a 016 ticket - all VW fares should earn miles via the typical fare class x modifier formula (11 in my case as a 1K)

It is the non 016 fares that earn either 100%, 75%, 50% or 0% of distance flown in miles

VW doesn't have a fare class that earns PQD or PQM on any ticket stock for UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.