Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cannot Check in Online Due to Daylight Savings Elsewhere in the World

Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond

Tried to check in for a flight less than 24 hours away and did not receive the button to check in. Called united.com support and spoke with a supervisor who told me that the problem was daylight savings time related. I then called so called 1k support and spoke with a supervisor in Honolulu who told me that he had been fielding quite a few calls about this happening to other people too.
Normally, this would not frustrate me as much, but I trying to get back on a waiting list to try for an upgrade, but with status on the list tied to order of check in within that 24 hour period, I am not even in the ball game and by the time I can check in-- the list will continue to grow.

Anyone else encountering this?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
... but with status on the list tied to order of check in within that 24 hour period, ....
The gate list is prioritized by
1) elite status
2) fare class
3) time of checkin

So a little delay is only going be an issue if the other people with same status and same fare class are checked in earlier.

The time-change issue is a regular issue and should still allow you to checkin just an hour later.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
I'm curious, what is the departure time (and location) and what from what time (and location) are you trying to check in?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Experienced identical issue with my DL flight tomorrow because of day lights savings you have to add one hour to your departure time. Due to the way the computer code is written, while its technically T-25 hrs due to the magic hour showing up at 2AM on Nov 2.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Received the check in email an hour later. I am in Los Angeles, where it was 4:55pm when I tried to check in multiple times for the next hour until I received the email and then was able to check in.

I am aware of the order of priority on the waitlist, but an hour late to be able to check in from my experience does allow others to get on the list before you. Even as a 1K, I know that even 1 or 2 people ahead of you on the upgrade list can make the difference between getting the upgrade and not.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Received the check in email an hour later. I am in Los Angeles, where it was 4:55pm when I tried to check in multiple times for the next hour until I received the email and then was able to check in.

I am aware of the order of priority on the waitlist, but an hour late to be able to check in from my experience does allow others to get on the list before you. Even as a 1K, I know that even 1 or 2 people ahead of you on the upgrade list can make the difference between getting the upgrade and not.
Well, with this issue, I guess everyone else is an hour late as well so hopefully it doesnt make much of a difference. I suppose if someone has an initiating flight starting the day before, maybe they'd be able to checkin an hour earlier but they'd be way ahead of you anyways
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, those 1 or 2 people would probably have the same check in problem as you so it is moot.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Your post subject says this is about DST elsewhere...but if you're in LA, this is about DST for you. If your flight is at 455p PST Sunday, t-24 was at 555p today. What is the problem?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dbaker
Your post subject says this is about DST elsewhere...but if you're in LA, this is about DST for you. If your flight is at 455p PST Sunday, t-24 was at 555p today. What is the problem?
Quality of Math education is going down the drain. UA allows online check in 24 hours prior to departure time. It works as advertised.

Check-in is available starting 24 hours before your scheduled departure.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...necheckin.aspx
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
{OT comments removed}

UA has the best computer system in the World. It just does not understand DST. Give UA a break.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2014 at 11:29 pm Reason: OT comments removed
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kettle1
...UA has the best computer system in the World. It just does not understand DST. Give UA a break.
Actually, it does and it calculates T-24 correctly.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Tried to check in for a flight less than 24 hours away and did not receive the button to check in. Called united.com support and spoke with a supervisor who told me that the problem was daylight savings time related. I then called so called 1k support and spoke with a supervisor in Honolulu who told me that he had been fielding quite a few calls about this happening to other people too.
Normally, this would not frustrate me as much, but I trying to get back on a waiting list to try for an upgrade, but with status on the list tied to order of check in within that 24 hour period, I am not even in the ball game and by the time I can check in-- the list will continue to grow.

Anyone else encountering this?
Dumb computer programming. I ran into a similar problem years ago with Immigration. I flew to the US with an Indonesian colleague. Immigration had just started a program where non-US had to check out with Immigration when they were leaving (this was around 2003 or 4). As it happened we were returning to Indonesia on the first day that the checkout policy was operating. He was required to check out with Immigration the same day as the flight. Problem was it was the SQ SFO/HKG flight which leave at about 00:20 AM. Tried to check out at 11:00 PM and the system wouldn't allow it because it was same day. 30 minutes of arguing then manual intervention before he was allowed to leave.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1K

Please explain how you know that people jumped in front of you.

I ask not to be annoying, but because that question, when answered, usually reveals the confusion about the upgrade list that is causing the concern in the first place.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Please re-read what I wrote. I did not say that I knew for sure, but if there are a limited number of seats available for release for an upgrade-- all other criteria being the same-- the person who checks in first gets that seat. Why else would everyone check in as soon as they hit the 24 hour mark-- to get on the list.

At departure, if you are 1 person away from the upgrade and do not get it-- wouldn't you wonder whether the delay of being able to check in might have been the cause? I plan on contacting UA 1K customer service after the trip and they can easily look it up to see and confirm whether I was impacted or not by this system glitch.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
At departure, if you are 1 person away from the upgrade and do not get it-- wouldn't you wonder whether the delay of being able to check in might have been the cause? I plan on contacting UA 1K customer service after the trip and they can easily look it up to see and confirm whether I was impacted or not by this system glitch.
But as TerryK pointed out, it's not a glitch. If your flight leaves at 5pm on Sunday, you won't be able to check in until 6pm on Saturday due to DST ending. 6pm Saturday is 24 hours before 5pm on Sunday in this case. Also, I'm not convinced that this behavior has put only you at a disadvantage for upgrades.

United's reservation systems likely work with UTC under the hood and then make appropriate time zone adjustments before displaying a particular time of day to the end user.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.