Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Seat selection now available on Mileage Plus AC award tickets {does not always work!}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat selection now available on Mileage Plus AC award tickets {does not always work!}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks but I rarely use twitter.
It's worth setting up a Twitter account just for this. AC has a great twitter team.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
It's worth setting up a Twitter account just for this. AC has a great twitter team.
Thanks. I have an existing twitter account - last time used was for Marriott's NFL promo which I often forgot to play. I hope I could figure out how to use it to tweet AC. lol.

Will try twitter if indeed AC twitter team is responsive.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks. I have an existing twitter account - last time used was for Marriott's NFL promo which I often forgot to play. I hope I could figure out how to use it to tweet AC. lol.

Will try twitter if indeed AC twitter team is responsive.
Send them a direct message rather than a tweet. In the Twitter app, you can find direct messaging in the mail icon on the bottom right of the toolbar.

Just to bring this slightly back on topic for this board, I find that sending direct messages to @UNITED is also a great way to get things resolved quickly with UA issues without calling.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA site is working now but I am not sure if that has anything to do with my status changed from nobody to lowly Silver.

Although it is weird process - you have to return to the main screen after each segment in order for the selection to take hold. You cannot navigate from segment to segment, finish them all then return to the main screen - only to see that the first segment selection sticks but the remaining segments do not. So you go back to do one segment at a time.

UA does display a message informing you the Continue button must be clicked in order to finish the seat selection. Still, if you do not navigate back to the main screen, the seat selection fails to stick...

How strange!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
UA award tickets on AC, how to get seats?

I know there have been discussions on this before but in August I need to book 6 award seats from LAS to YVR for us and our son and his family, just one way. The best offer showing up now on a search is an AC non-stop for 12.5K miles each. Great deal but how can I get seat assignments in advance? We will be traveling with our grands, 2 kids age 5 and 3 at the time of travel so we need some seats together on this one. currently my wife is UA Gold and I am UA silver if that helps any. Does anyone know for sure if I can go to the AC site with my PRN and get seats? Years ago I was able to do it on the phone but I know these things are always changing. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
United.com should show the seat map after purchase, else via aircanada.com
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
You generally need to pay for advanced seat assignments; however, it may be free to get the children to sit near at least one of the adults. You'd have to contact AC after booking. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/special-assistance/travelling-with-children.html
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pewpew
You generally need to pay for advanced seat assignments; however, it may be free to get the children to sit near at least one of the adults. You'd have to contact AC after booking. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-children.html
not in my experience on a UA award ticket. Just booked one last week. Seat selection was not an issue at all.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by gene2632
currently my wife is UA Gold and I am UA silver if that helps any..
No it does not. You will be sitting in the very back. Note your flight is operated by AC Rouge which has the worst rating in North America (https://www.airlinequality.com/airli...-canada-rouge/) - and the seat pitch is 29".

Air Canada doesnt have the functionality to select seats on tickets not booked directly with them, but they have a backdoor site, you can use your AC PNR here:
https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by rankourabu
No it does not. You will be sitting in the very back. Note your flight is operated by AC Rouge which has the worst rating in North America (https://www.airlinequality.com/airli...-canada-rouge/) - and the seat pitch is 29".

Air Canada doesnt have the functionality to select seats on tickets not booked directly with them, but they have a backdoor site, you can use your AC PNR here:
Hardly a backdoor site, as that is the link provided when you try to manage the PNR on AC.com. But yes, this is the link where you can select a standard seat free of charge or pay for a preferred seat on an award ticket.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rankourabu
These two sentences contradict each other. They do have the functionality, and it is delivered by that site you linked to. That link is provided on aircanada.com for every AC reservation to which it applies.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pewpew
You generally need to pay for advanced seat assignments; however, it may be free to get the children to sit near at least one of the adults. You'd have to contact AC after booking. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/special-assistance/travelling-with-children.html
dont know for sure about Rouge, and if it’s different then Air Canada itself, but AC is pretty good about ensuring those with kids in the PNR can all sit together. Typically we’re 2 adults, 1 kid, and ACs policy is that if there is a child on the PNR (I think 12 and under), then they’ll assign seats free not 100% sure if that applies to basic, but definitely on standard fares, which also incur fees for a seat assignment in advance. In that case, though, you do need to call and can’t do this online.

Originally Posted by Santander
Hardly a backdoor site, as that is the link provided when you try to manage the PNR on AC.com. But yes, this is the link where you can select a standard seat free of charge or pay for a preferred seat on an award ticket.
sometimes. Haven’t had an Award including AC metal for a long time, but that site, at least IME, doesn’t work much of the time on $ tickets.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:25 pm

Thanks for all of the help. I know it is a Rouge flight and normally I would avoid it but the only other option is UA to the West Coast and then up to YVR. That pretty much doubles the travel time to YVR and that is not a great idea with two kids, age 3 and 5. They are good kids, they are experienced travelers, but they are still kids.. Bookings open about 2 months so lets see what happens then.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:26 pm

Just to follow up on this. I did book our flight last night when the 12.5K miles awards on the code share with AC on their daily non=stop from LAS to YVR. No problems doing it and much to my surprise when I clicked the choose your seats link that was there, I got a nice seat map and was able to put the 6 of us in rows 13 and 14 on an A319. Now I just have to hope the seats are really there in July.....but for now they do show up in our booking. Thanks again for all of your insight everyone.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:45 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I recently booked a MP award itinerary including AC LGA-YYZ in J and the only way I could assign a seat was on the UA app. Couldn't do it on AC web site. The UA web site would show the seat map and show the 1 in a circle to indicate I selected a seat, but the next time I displayed the reservation the seat was not reserved and the seat was again open to assign. Later, rinse, repeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.