Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Summary: Call Air Canada.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
For future reference, this is the backdoor AC site that allows seat selection on tickets booked elsewhere:
https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english
Print Wikipost

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by BURules

I was just able to select a seat on a AC codeshare on united.com (on an AMEX booking) . .. is this new?! Couldn't find on another thread. Brought up the AC 320 seat map and everything. To top it all off, I was able to select a seat in the Preferred Section.
I'm now able to see the seat map for an SFO-YYZ leg (booked as the UA codeshare) of a larger UA booking. I don't have access to any of the Preferred Section seats though - which I know I'm not "entitled" to anyway as a UA*G. Perhaps you can select because of a higher fare class? (My booking is in G)
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Nothing (former long-time Plat)
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
I'm now able to see the seat map for an SFO-YYZ leg (booked as the UA codeshare) of a larger UA booking. I don't have access to any of the Preferred Section seats though - which I know I'm not "entitled" to anyway as a UA*G. Perhaps you can select because of a higher fare class? (My booking is in G)
Latest (delayed response):

I am also in G.

And, in the "Must be too good to be true" category, my seat assignment disappeared.

I went back to the reservation on united.com and can still select a seat, but Preferred Seats are no longer available for selection. Seems to mirror what you got.

Oh well, it was fun for the minute it lasted!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BURules
Here's a screenshot. It's an AC Flight with UA flight number.

I have generally stayed away from AC flights for this very reason, but this might change things.
I see this as well. But when I select seats, they do not save. On the United app, it says the seat assignment cannot be saved. UA said on Twitter that they can't force them either. I'm contacting AC on Twitter now.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:51 pm

I booked an AC flight on a United ticket (YYZ-YVR), and am able to access the seat selection tool on the Air Canada website (the older looking one) after putting in my AC Booking ID, but as soon as I try to confirm my purchase (after putting in credit card info, etc) it results in an error message:

"Unable to process your request. An error occured while attempting to finish the booking. ( 1100 )"

Anybody else run into this issue recently?

Last edited by sameruval; Jan 4, 2019 at 11:15 pm Reason: added error message
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sameruval
I booked an AC flight on a United ticket (YYZ-YVR), and am able to access the seat selection tool on the Air Canada website (the older looking one) after putting in my AC Booking ID, but as soon as I try to confirm my purchase (after putting in credit card info, etc) it results in an error message:

"Unable to process your request. An error occured while attempting to finish the booking. ( 1100 )"

Anybody else run into this issue recently?
Yes, same for me. You need to contact Air Canada, according to United. I find their response times to be fastest on Twitter.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by trmbn65
Yes, same for me. You need to contact Air Canada, according to United. I find their response times to be fastest on Twitter.
Tried again today and was able to complete the seat change with a confirmation email and the charge going through. Not sure if there was maybe just a temporary IT issue on their end.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by sameruval
Tried again today and was able to complete the seat change with a confirmation email and the charge going through. Not sure if there was maybe just a temporary IT issue on their end.
Hopefully, and it would make sense. In the past, it gave the canned response that you have to select seats on the other carrier's website. However, for AC, it actually showed a valid seating map, but errored (or just didn't work).
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
Another data point - I have a reward booking (Mileage Plus points, as a 1K) that involves a single AC flight.

I could log in and select seats, but they did not 'stick.'

If they get this to work, that's a HUGE plus.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:48 pm

Backdoor working after computer change?

Has anyone gotten the backdoor seat assignment website URL listed at the beginning of this thread to work after Air Canada updated its reservation system this week (Nov 18 2019)? The URL now redirects to the Air Canada homepage, and when I go to the Bookings page, there's no longer a link to seat assignments. I tried using the phone, but hold times are in the hours since the reservation system change.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Million Miler 1K, AA Plat, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat etc etc
The "backdoor" url in the wiki leads to the AC main webpage, no access to seat assignments.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: UA, AA
My experience: Yesterday I booked United award travel on AC YOW to YLW-Kelowna via YVR. I was able to select seats on the AC website. I selected “My bookings” on AC using the “Air CanadaConfirmation number” that shows up in United’s “Manage Booking”.

AC seats are able to be selected once My Booking opens up through “change seats”. Even though the booking is in Economy Standard with AC, I selected the front rows going and a combination of front/exit rows on the return. These seats are labelled Preferred for up to $65/68 each. There was no attempt to charge for the seats. I checked today, all seats have stuck to the reservation and shows up on United as well. Also, I picked a D and F seats, they stuck to the reservation as well.

Checked luggage - Nothing changed here, I still get 1 bag as a Star Alliance gold, the wife as silver gets nothing as does daughter with no status.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ken_ll
My experience: Yesterday I booked United award travel on AC YOW to YLW-Kelowna via YVR. I was able to select seats on the AC website. I selected “My bookings” on AC using the “Air CanadaConfirmation number” that shows up in United’s “Manage Booking”.

AC seats are able to be selected once My Booking opens up through “change seats”. Even though the booking is in Economy Standard with AC, I selected the front rows going and a combination of front/exit rows on the return. These seats are labelled Preferred for up to $65/68 each. There was no attempt to charge for the seats. I checked today, all seats have stuck to the reservation and shows up on United as well. Also, I picked a D and F seats, they stuck to the reservation as well.

Checked luggage - Nothing changed here, I still get 1 bag as a Star Alliance gold, the wife as silver gets nothing as does daughter with no status.
What's your elite status on UA or AC?

David
Old Nov 12, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium

Awesome, the award tickets must let you select whatever econ seats (like an AC Latitude fare ie full Y) good to know!!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
What's your elite status on UA or AC?

David
David, I’m 1K on United, nothing on AC, not even an Aeroplan #.

whitethunder: You stated it aptly, “like an AC Latitude fare ie full Y” but without the checked luggage.

One thing I forgot to mention is that there is no eligibility to bid for business seats. I suspect it is due to award booking from other than AC. Even if I had an Aeroplan #, there was no place to input it for the bid.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 7:14 pm

Just to give an update on luggage, I looked at the AC booking through “My Booking” for the going and return, we each have two free checked bags attached to our bookings. I’m not sure why, perhaps something attached to a legacy Latitude fare. As a recap using United award on AC, we had seat selection of all economy seats and now two checked bags each, but no opportunity to bid for upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.