Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Summary: Call Air Canada.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
For future reference, this is the backdoor AC site that allows seat selection on tickets booked elsewhere:
https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english
Print Wikipost

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by paule123
I just checked in for my AC flight (booked on UA), selected 1 checked bag and was forced to put in a credit card number to pay $25.00. My status on the boarding pass shows "UA*S" so presumably they know I'm Star Silver which should get me a free bag? I paid the fee with the UA PP card, FWIW. Anybody with experience getting a refund in situations like this?
Why would you do that? Just check-in at the airport and the bag will be free. Or at least you can argue there about how the bag should be free. You now have to spend days getting a refund. You are owed one but you're going to spend a lot of time on the phone with Air Canada trying to sort this mess out.

Or, you can check-in online and tell the system 0 bags to check - then sort out that at the airport if checking in online is super important to you.

-RM
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Air Canada agents have a way to fiddle with their res system such that bookings not made through AC directly can be enabled for full online functionality (e.g., seat assignments). The ability seems to be used most often by Altitude 100K agents, but I'm guessing all agents theoretically have that capability.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by paule123
I just checked in for my AC flight (booked on UA), selected 1 checked bag and was forced to put in a credit card number to pay $25.00. My status on the boarding pass shows "UA*S" so presumably they know I'm Star Silver which should get me a free bag? I paid the fee with the UA PP card, FWIW. Anybody with experience getting a refund in situations like this?
Just to give another datapoint, this seems to be a systemic problem with UA purchased tickets on AC metal. When my husband went to check in online last week with AC for a YYZ-LGA flight booked through UA.com, he was asked to pay to check a bag, even though his boarding pass correctly showed his *G status (through UA Premier Platinum).

But I agree with an earlier poster. The correct thing to do in this situation (as my husband did) is just check-in online with no bags, and deal with it at the airport. (It apparently took the agent some time to fix the record so that the bag could be checked with no charge, but it was eventually done).
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
[QUOTE=Toronto1970;25044775
But I agree with an earlier poster. The correct thing to do in this situation (as my husband did) is just check-in online with no bags, and deal with it at the airport. (It apparently took the agent some time to fix the record so that the bag could be checked with no charge, but it was eventually done).[/QUOTE]
Yep, indeed this happens often to me. I always check in with the agents and am never charged.

AC has had the biggest mess with seat assignments for the longest time. They're not trying very aggressively to monetize it. Charging for seat assignments that aren't premium in any way.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Just tweeted them. They said they could send in a request for me but can't book a seat in advance since I'm on a tango fare. Not sure what that means, I guess it's a discount fare that only allows seat assignment at the airport?

I have no expectations on being treated better than other customers or getting something I'm not entitled to, but it was worth a shot.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by teeceedee
Not sure what that means, I guess it's a discount fare that only allows seat assignment at the airport?
OLCI should also allow seat selection, which is much better than waiting until you get to the airport.

The deep-discount Tango fares don't allow seat selection at time of reservation.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by wh6cto
OLCI should also allow seat selection, which is much better than waiting until you get to the airport.

The deep-discount Tango fares don't allow seat selection at time of reservation.
They do for a $20 charge. But I don't think there's any way for Air Canada to charge it if the original ticket is on 016 stock.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
My Canadian friends who have status with AC take care of it for me, I don't ask how
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
They do for a $20 charge. But I don't think there's any way for Air Canada to charge it if the original ticket is on 016 stock.
There must be some way, since as I stated upthread, I was able to do it. They charged us $72 a seat, and we're in the exit row CPH>YYZ. Worth every penny.

Maybe it was because I'm on an award ticket?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
There must be some way, since as I stated upthread, I was able to do it. They charged us $72 a seat, and we're in the exit row CPH>YYZ. Worth every penny.

Maybe it was because I'm on an award ticket?
it's the UA codeshares which are the real problem. So far I have been lucky to get decent seats, but most of my UA-CA flights end up in W-class these days anyway.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
I just booked an Air Canada flight using united.com. My receipt shows a seat assignment. Is this for real or do I need to call Air Canada to confirm the seat assignment? It's an aisle seat, so I'm fine with it (25D), but I booked a T fare which is considered "Tango" so it should have no advance seat assignments.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by amartin1979
I just booked an Air Canada flight using united.com. My receipt shows a seat assignment. Is this for real or do I need to call Air Canada to confirm the seat assignment? It's an aisle seat, so I'm fine with it (25D), but I booked a T fare which is considered "Tango" so it should have no advance seat assignments.
call. I have seen seat assignment on receipts before and definitely did not have that seat assigned when I checked in.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Too bad. Hopefully I can get a decent seat during OLCI. It's going to be a long flight
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IC Amb, Citi Prestige
I am a UA platinum and just booked a flight directly with AC. The fare I got, even though not so cheap, was classified as Tango - and as such, they wouldn't let me pre-assign my seats without paying a fee (!!!). I am referring to REGULAR seats... I mentioned I am a star alliance gold, to which they responded I will get many benefits, but the most basic one - assigning my seats, is not one of them... This is absurd! When their flyers fly UA they don't pay a penny for regular seat assignment.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by irotem
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Yes, and welcome to Tango fares on Air Canada :-)

<Note though that many airlines around the world don't include seat selection in their cheapest fares. I agree that it's crazy, but it is what it is. So long as they are upfront about the fees, I'm not sure how you can complain, other than choosing not to fly them>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.