Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SwisherTown
Enrollment link: http://united.com/hertzstatus
Overview

Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ertz-faqs.aspx

CHICAGO, Oct. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the airline is expanding its partnership with Hertz to offer elevated travel benefits to members of the airline's MileagePlus loyalty program, at Hertz and its Dollar and Thrifty brands become United's exclusive car rental partners beginning Nov. 1. Special perks are also in store for MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members.

MileagePlus members who book with Hertz may earn the following per rental:
1,250 miles MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members;
1,000 miles MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members;
750 miles Primary cardmembers of MileagePlus credit cards from Chase; or
500 miles MileagePlus general members.
MileagePlus members will continue to receive discounts when they book Hertz car rentals via United.com.
Members renting with Dollar and Thrifty will still earn 50 miles per day for rentals of one to four days and 500 miles for rentals five days or longer.

Travelers who reserve car rentals before Nov. 1 will accrue the higher level of benefits available if they pick up their vehicle on or after Nov. 1.

Elite Benefits

Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:
Confirmed availability of standard-equipment economy through full-size, four-door vehicles in the United States and Canada, with a minimum 48-hour advance reservation; and
Confirmed one-car-class upgrade availability at all participating locations in the United States and Canada and select European locations.
Questions/discussion of Hertz's Gold Plus Rewards program or specific rental locations should be directed to that forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/
Print Wikipost

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:57 am

I am getting the same run around. United says call Hertz. Hertz says call United. Big waste of time.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Lolz so comically bad.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Has anyone gotten their status to update. I submitted about a week ago and nada/ zilch
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Lolz so comically bad.
Quite the contrast compared to the Marriott roll-out

But they can't even get UG instruments deposited this month so maybe not too surprising
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:39 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Exclamation Report back on Post 219: Hertz's claim to expedite the upgrade process

In post 219 upthread, I reported on Tuesday Jan. 19 of contacting the Hertz desk that supposedly handles these status upgrades with Hertz. I followed the instructions of the Hertz rep. to send Hertz an email that would supposedly "expedite" this upgrades process to 5 Star or President's Circle.

I stated I would report back. Here is the update: 9 business days since MileagePlus sent me an email informing me I would be processed in 3-5 business days. 2 days since I sent Hertz the email to supposedly "expedite" the upgrade in status. My status has not been upgraded yet, nor have I received any communication from MileagePlus or Hertz.

I have received emails from Papa John's, Domino's, and Pizza Hut, along with one from "Colon Cleanse", all of which seem to want my business more than Hertz or UA !

This is less than an auspicious rollout of this program. It causes me to think less of both MileagePlus and Hertz.

HERE IS A COPY OF MY POST #219 from Jan. 13:

Originally Posted by mkr
I applied, got an email from MileagePlus informing me it would take 3-5 business days. Those past. I called MileagePlus 1 K desk. They told me my application form had been submitted to Hertz and to wait more time. Not satisfied with that, I called the Hertz Gold 5 Star members desk. I was transferred to the desk that handles this status upgrade. I explained the situation to the rep., who told me that Hertz had not received a request from MileagePlus, so I should send an email to [email protected] with my Hertz gold# in the subject box and also "Mileage Plus Upgrade to President's Circle Status".

Then in the body of the email I gave my name, address, and MileagePlus number, along with the info. that as a 1 K I was still waiting to be upgraded and would appreciate that Hertz would expedite.

I sent the email to Hertz at 10:20 AM Central Time on Tues. 1/13.

I have not received a reply from Hertz, but did what the Hertz guy told me to do to expedite.

I will report back what happens, so check back later for an update

However, what others are reporting, National is better, so I am going to also try National and request a status match once I receive my Hertz President's Circle Upgrade. Then I will try National. I have also been using Payless on my own money, and the rates are very much lower than anyone else. I got a $9 per day rental recently for a fullsize. The car was new and clean. To pick up the car required a shuttle ride from the airport, less than 10 minutes, 5 minutes more than with Hertz.

Only one drawback, no MileagePlus Miles with Payless, but significant $ savings if paying out of one's own pocket. Payless does offer Southwest Airlines Rapid rewards credit, but I do not know if other airlines FF programs offer miles with Payless.

Last edited by mkr; Jan 15, 2015 at 4:02 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Needless to say, my Hertz status hasn't been upgraded yet either.

I also am still waiting for my 750 bonus miles on top of the base 500 miles from a rental in mid-November (booked on the United.com site). Originally nothing posted at all, and when I hassled Hertz about it, I eventually got this reply:
As of November 1, 2014, the United MileagePlus mileage structure changed:

- 500 miles per rental
- 750 miles per rental for MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers
- 1,000 miles per rental for MileagePlus Premier Silver and Premier Gold members
- 1,250 miles per rental for MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Premier 1K and Global Services members

****NOTE: Hertz will only send 500 miles/rental to UA for posting, and UA will post the additional miles based on membership level.
The 500 miles posted shortly after that email (with the original rental date). The additional 750 miles are MIA. I have stopped using Hertz.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:08 pm
mkr
Suspended

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Needless to say, my Hertz status hasn't been upgraded yet either.

I also am still waiting for my 750 bonus miles on top of the base 500 miles from a rental in mid-November (booked on the United.com site). Originally nothing posted at all, and when I hassled Hertz about it, I eventually got this reply:
As of November 1, 2014, the United MileagePlus mileage structure changed:

- 500 miles per rental
- 750 miles per rental for MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers
- 1,000 miles per rental for MileagePlus Premier Silver and Premier Gold members
- 1,250 miles per rental for MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Premier 1K and Global Services members

****NOTE: Hertz will only send 500 miles/rental to UA for posting, and UA will post the additional miles based on membership level.
The 500 miles posted shortly after that email (with the original rental date). The additional 750 miles are MIA. I have stopped using Hertz.

In the Frequently Asked Questions about this program, posted in the Wiki at the top of this page, your question about when the points will post is addressed:

"When will miles post to my MileagePlus account?
Please allow six to eight weeks after you complete your rental for the miles to credit to your account. If you earned more than 500 miles on your rental, the miles will appear as two separate entries on your account. One entry for 500 miles will credit, and a second entry for any additional miles that are earned based on MileagePlus status or card membership will post within 5-10 business days."

It appears that you may need to contact MileagePlus, rather than Hertz, about the missing bonus Miles

Last edited by mkr; Jan 15, 2015 at 3:13 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:15 pm
mkr
Suspended

Originally Posted by mkr
In the Frequently Asked Questions about this program, posted in the Wiki at the top of this page, your question about when the points will post is addressed:

"When will miles post to my MileagePlus account?
Please allow six to eight weeks after you complete your rental for the miles to credit to your account. If you earned more than 500 miles on your rental, the miles will appear as two separate entries on your account. One entry for 500 miles will credit, and a second entry for any additional miles that are earned based on MileagePlus status or card membership will post within 5-10 business days."
It appears that you may need to contact MileagePlus, rather than Hertz, about the missing bonus Miles. I recall last time I rented with Hertz that the base miles posted within 2 weeks.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mkr
It appears that you may need to contact MileagePlus, rather than Hertz, about the missing bonus Miles.
Right, that's pretty much how I interpreted their reply to me when I contacted them. But then the base miles hadn't even posted. Six to eight weeks... this is 2015, people. Are the rental records delivered by bike messenger? MileagePlus X shows that posting in real time is possible. It seems like they were just looking for more work for their customer service agents by splitting up the posting into two chunks with a 5-10 business day delay for the 2nd chunk. I doubt that I am the only one who doesn't bother reading the really long FAQ for something as simple as a car rental reservation. So naturally people who see 500 miles post might then start pinging customer service when they expected more...

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jan 15, 2015 at 3:49 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:50 pm
mkr
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Right, that's pretty much how I interpreted their reply to me when I contacted them. But then the base miles hadn't even posted. Six to eight weeks... this is 2015, people. Are the rental records delivered by bike messenger? MileagePlus X shows that posting in real time is possible. It seems like they were just looking for more work for their customer service agents by splitting up the posting into two chunks with a 5-10 business day delay for the 2nd chunk. I doubt that I am the only one who doesn't bother reading the really long FAQ for something as simple as a car rental reservation. So naturally people who see 500 miles post might then start pinging customer service when they expected more...
My own conspiracy theory is that they say 6-8 weeks hoping you will forget about the miles and not keep good records. Then they hope that when the miles do not post, you will have forgotten about them.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:06 pm
mkr
Suspended

Report back on Post # 219: Hertz's claim to expedite the status upgrades.

As reported earlier, Hertz told me how to expedite this status upgrade process. Only one person so far in this thread has reported that the status upgrade to Five Star or President's Circle had been granted to them.

Well, 9 1/2 days after applying, and 2 1/2 days after sending the email to Hertz to supposedly "expedite" the process, I checked my Hertz status online, and it finally showed President's Circle Status.

I do not know if this came through on normal time from MileagePlus, or was due to my contacting Hertz. I never received an email from either MileagePlus or Hertz that informed me that my status had been upgraded.

My suggestion would be to wait 10 days from when one applied, and if one's status has not been upgraded, to then contact Hertz through the process described.

Originally Posted by mkr
In post 219 upthread, I reported on Tuesday Jan. 19 of contacting the Hertz desk that supposedly handles these status upgrades with Hertz. I followed the instructions of the Hertz rep. to send Hertz an email that would supposedly "expedite" this upgrades process to 5 Star or President's Circle.

I stated I would report back. Here is the update: 9 business days since MileagePlus sent me an email informing me I would be processed in 3-5 business days. 2 days since I sent Hertz the email to supposedly "expedite" the upgrade in status. My status has not been upgraded yet, nor have I received any communication from MileagePlus or Hertz.

I have received emails from Papa John's, Domino's, and Pizza Hut, along with one from "Colon Cleanse", all of which seem to want my business more than Hertz or UA !

This is less than an auspicious rollout of this program. It causes me to think less of both MileagePlus and Hertz.

HERE IS A COPY OF MY POST #219 from Jan. 13:
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:13 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Thanks to mkr for all the updates. In my own case, now after 9 days, my status is updated to PC.

I did not contact Hertz to expedite.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:31 pm

Just checked, mine finally updated too.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:35 pm

+1 - my status just updated too after registering on 1 January.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Mine updated to PC now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.