Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchasing (Cash/Award) AC Premium Economy on UA ticket stock (016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing (Cash/Award) AC Premium Economy on UA ticket stock (016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
No. It's at present impossible to redeem UA miles for *A carriers' PE cabins. It's a huge frustration, especially since so many *A carriers besides AC now have great PE products.
I think you mean "Almost all *A carriers besides UA now have great PE products" . UA will be losing most of my long haul business in 2017....
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by timfountain
I think you mean "Almost all *A carriers besides UA now have great PE products" . UA will be losing most of my long haul business in 2017....
Same here. I may spring for Polaris for ULH travel, but PE is the sweet spot for me for flights <10 hours.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not sure if this is the correct forum...apologize if not. Not getting a lot of answers over in AC forums. Anyway.... Considering a booking on EWR-YVR using UA miles on the direct 787-9. Once ticketed, would I be able to purchase a premium economy seat through AC...or would I be stuck with whatever seat they determine? I don't want to fly that route without confirming I am in PE.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 2, 2016 at 11:31 pm Reason: merged
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gold23
Not sure if this is the correct forum...apologize if not. Not getting a lot of answers over in AC forums. Anyway.... Considering a booking on EWR-YVR using UA miles on the direct 787-9. Once ticketed, would I be able to purchase a premium economy seat through AC...or would I be stuck with whatever seat they determine? I don't want to fly that route without confirming I am in PE.
There is no ability to book a premium economy award on any *A carrier outside of that carrier's program.

if AC offers paid "upgrades" to PE, is really an AC forum question.

There is another thread to review is about purchasing PE directly on 016 ticket, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ock-016-a.html
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by gold23
AC doesn't offer Premium Economy as a separate class of travel on North American flights. But since all the 787s are configured the same regardless, the seats are physically there on the plane just sold as "preferred seats" in the economy cabin when flying in North America. So yes, you can book an economy award then pay for a seat assignment in the premium economy cabin (rows 12-14) by calling in to AC. IIRC these seats are around $120CAD for transcon length flights.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
you are lucky you cant redeem PE on Air Canada, its a waste of miles get an exit row on United.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by flybit
you are lucky you cant redeem PE on Air Canada, its a waste of miles get an exit row on United.
More recline?
More space widthwise / dedicated armrests?
Larger entertainment screen?
More food (not necessarily better IMHO though)?
Less busy cabin?
No people stepping on your toes?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by flybit
You think? What aspect makes it a poor redemption in your eyes? For me it wouldn't be about the food, but to get two-abreast seating and greater recline and legroom.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
AC Rouge Premium Economy on 016 stock?

Is it possible to book AC Rouge's Premium Economy on 016 ticket stock, or do I need to go directly through AC's site?

Looking at an ORD-KEF flight, and this appears to be my only Star Alliance option without backtracking through FRA (ugh).
Old May 17, 2017, 11:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rflor
Is it possible to book AC Rouge's Premium Economy on 016 ticket stock, or do I need to go directly through AC's site? ....
Merged your query into an existing thread plus http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-web-site.html may also be worth a review.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 17, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Is it possible to book AC Rouge's Premium Economy on 016 ticket stock, or do I need to go directly through AC's site?

Looking at an ORD-KEF flight, and this appears to be my only Star Alliance option without backtracking through FRA (ugh).
My understanding is that "premium rouge" is essentially their business class, and isn't technically premium economy. That said I can't find those flights in any class of service on united.com.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

You would most likely need to look for the AC flight operated by Rouge to show up on ua.com, and most likely as a business class fare, not premium economy which is called 'Rouge Plus' or something silly like that - which is just extra legroom and nothing more, akin to UA E+ which is itself, not premium economy. I would say flying Rouge in any class is a waste of money if you can find a better option on almost any other airline.

Only Air Canada mainline sells a true PE product on specific aircraft and routes.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Not familiar with their product.. if you price it on ITA what is the booking code and route? You should be able to purchase by calling UA as long as the fare can be plated 016.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by televisor
My understanding is that "premium rouge" is essentially their business class, and isn't technically premium economy. That said I can't find those flights in any class of service on united.com.
Yep. Nothing shows up under business class, which is why I came here asking.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
You would most likely need to look for the AC flight operated by Rouge to show up on ua.com, and most likely as a business class fare, not premium economy which is called 'Rouge Plus' or something silly like that - which is just extra legroom and nothing more, akin to UA E+ which is itself, not premium economy. I would say flying Rouge in any class is a waste of money if you can find a better option on almost any other airline.

Only Air Canada mainline sells a true PE product on specific aircraft and routes.
You got me confused. Everything I've read shows the Premium Rouge on the A319s to be a 2x2 product vs. the 3x3 product in the rest of the aircraft. That, along with descriptions of the seats and food offerings, led me to believe it's a PE product.

I'd go with another airline, except there are no other Star Alliance options to get to KEF without backtracking through Europe.

Originally Posted by findark
Not familiar with their product.. if you price it on ITA what is the booking code and route? You should be able to purchase by calling UA as long as the fare can be plated 016.
How do I go about doing this?
Old May 17, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
How do I go about doing this?
You would search for and find your itinerary on ITA Matrix. This will give you your flight numbers and a booking code associated with each segment (for example: B,N,N,B). You can then call United and ask to be ticketed on, for example:

27-Jun ORDYUL Air Canada flight 7596 in B class
27-Jun YULKEF Air Canada flight 1972 in N class
04-Jul KEFYYZ Air Canada flight 1971 in N class
04-Jul YYZORD Air Canada flight 509 in B class

This corresponds roughly to what the agent will be typing into their computer so it's a good order to read things off.

Note two things. Premium Rouge is sold as Premium Economy overwater by Air Canada (not business class), using the O/E/N scale. It's a major pain to search for PE on ITA, and in this case I had to use the route specification

ORD :: AC YUL AC / f bc=n :: KEF

in order to see the flights. You can probably just do

ORD :: F+ AC / f bc=n :: KEF

(in the "Advanced Routing Codes" box enter everything between the sets of ::). This will show all flights with a booking code of N (lowest Premium Economy) that end with an AC segment to KEF. The reverse would be

KEF :: AC F+ / f bc=n :: ORD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.