United closing Seattle FA base in January 2015

Old Oct 14, 14, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

United closing Seattle FA base in January 2015

I don't have many details, but just heard that UA is closing their Seattle base. I know over the years there have been many positive experiences flying with the Seattle based flight attendants so indeed another sad day here for many of the PMUA flyers.

Ironically one of my last domestic flights on UA I had a stellar SEA-based crew. Wishing them all the best on what is indeed a sad day.
Old Oct 14, 14, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM
I was always glad when my TPACs were on flights with SEA FAs. They consistently were the best, IMHO.

So this inevitable decision marks the end of an era. (Of course UA is NOT leaving SEA...)
Old Oct 14, 14, 1:21 pm

It's official:

http://unitedafa.org/news/details.aspx?id=8896

Such a shame I thought the SEA based sUA FAs were some of the best.
Old Oct 14, 14, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
Such a shame I thought the SEA based sUA FAs were some of the best.
I agree -- they were a bright spot. Very sorry to see this.
Old Oct 14, 14, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Surely I expected LAS to go before SEA, in terms of sUA crew bases. The SEA FAs were definitely some of the best!
Old Oct 14, 14, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What is the smallest remaining crew base? FRA?
Old Oct 14, 14, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
With the loss of its sole transpacific flight and only remaining service to existing domiciles, sadly the closure of SEASW was looking like a certainty. Best wishes to those affected...

Can't help but wonder if BOSSW or LASSW are next. For operational and cost reasons, I think the international and HNLSW domiciles are safe for now.
Old Oct 14, 14, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
What is the smallest remaining crew base? FRA?
HNL.
Old Oct 14, 14, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
+1 on the quality of the SEA FAs. It's definitely a loss for UA and its passengers.

It's also too bad to see UA slowly retreat from SEA.
Old Oct 14, 14, 6:57 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Discoverist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
Important to note that they aren't losing their jobs but they will be transferred to a new base, I think the SFO base. However, I'm not sure how many will want to stay and commute to their work now.

It seems like an effort to get them to take the early buy-out offer that's mentioned in other threads.
Old Oct 14, 14, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon View Post
Surely I expected LAS to go before SEA, in terms of sUA crew bases.
SEA is a business market, while LAS is a leisure market. It makes sense they would hold onto LAS given this management's target clientele.
Old Oct 14, 14, 7:05 pm

I wanted to cry when I saw this memo. I don't usually get choked up over things like this, but truth be told; the SEA fa's are some of the kindest, most professional, and hardest working that UA has. Many, many, transpacific flights with them including the final NRT-SEA when the service was discontinued.
On that last flight, you would have thought that they would be negative but if you wanted an example of how to end with class, you could look no further.

My best to them moving forward in whatever they decide to do next.
Old Oct 14, 14, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
More symptoms of the retreat from the Pacific Northwest.

Its just pathetic now, UA used to have a strong operation up there. Now its an afterthought.

Despite the recent "War of the Roses" with DL and AS, they are still partners, connecting passengers across their networks. The combination of DL and AS is a powerhouse, with AS providing the nearby traffic, and DL bringing their network connectivity farther afield.
Old Oct 14, 14, 7:27 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
It *was* the network...

It's a bit odd, isn't it, that UA is appearing to wind down some operations on the West Coast, not to mention the prior abandonment of BKK, weakening one area in which UA has been dominant- TPAC. It almost makes you want to think it's happening because the TPAC dominance was all about sUA and Jeff would rather make his own mark and redeploy in new areas. But that's absurd enough to know it's not true; some bean counter doesn't understand the big picture, how it all works together.

Guess he needs to be told "It's the network."
Old Oct 14, 14, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by channa View Post
SEA is a business market, while LAS is a leisure market. It makes sense they would hold onto LAS given this management's target clientele.
LAS remains to this point and likely still due to the number of STAR departures from LAS and the associated hotel costs? Have you ever counted the number of flights before 0900? It's more than I thought

Search this Thread