Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United closing Seattle FA base in January 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
That MEC is still the UAL-AFA. CAL-AFA is a separate MEC until a JCBA is reached.

CO consolidated its FA bases to hubs years ago, with its previous bases in LAX, HNL, DEN, etc. consolidated into the various EWR, CLE, IAH domiciles.
I thought sCO opened up bases, like DEN, after the merger, to match the equipment flying. Similar to how sUA has IAH as a base now.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I thought sCO opened up bases, like DEN, after the merger, to match the equipment flying. Similar to how sUA has IAH as a base now.
Yes sCO has 5 satellite bases in LAX, DEN, SFO, IAD & DEN. LAX is subdivided into 3 separate bases (LAI - International, LLS - Language Speaker, LAX - Domestic) IAD is subdivided into 2 separate bases (WTA - International, IAD - Domestic) This is on top of the 3 original CO bases of EWR subdivided into 3 separate bases (NTA - International, NLS - Language Speaker, EWR - Domestic), IAH subdivided into 3 (HTA - International, HOS - Language Speaker, IAH - Domestic) & CLE. There's also the GUM base for sCMI FAs but they are on a separate contract and seniority list then the mainland based FAs.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: Alaska, Southwest, Delta, United
With the end of SEA-NRT, it seemed like this was a matter of time.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
They did, but this was post-merger. Pre-merger, the Continental domiciles were at the hubs.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Can't compete with AS and DL???
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
UA to close SEA FA base, affecting 264

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...ndantsxml.html

I wonder how important this is:

United has been the main loser as rival airline giant Delta has ramped up capacity at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport over the past year, going head to head with dominant local carrier Alaska Airlines.

For this year through August, Sea-Tac passenger traffic data show United’s share at the airport was down 7 percent compared with the previous year.

In January, United canceled its transpacific nonstop from Seattle to Tokyo, ceding the route to Delta and to its Star Alliance partner airline, All Nippon Airways of Japan.

Last month, United also announced steeper than usual cuts to its domestic services during the winter months ahead.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:13 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by slimothy
+1 on the quality of the SEA FAs. It's definitely a loss for UA and its passengers.

It's also too bad to see UA slowly retreat from SEA.
+1 on both counts.
Coincidentally, it happened on the day I decided to jump ship to AS. The cutbacks in flights, IRROPS, customer service, and MP changes (award redemption inflation and RDMs by spend) convinced me.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
It is extremely important. It is easy to look at DL's build up in SEA (and to a lesser extent in PDX) as putting the screws to AS.

However, AS is just a victim of DL trying to establish a foothold on the west coast to counterbalance UA's dominance in SFO on the TPACs.

The unfortunate thing for the pmUA SEA and PDX flyers and employees is that the new UA is calling uncle and retreating as quickly as they can away from the Pacific NW.

In the end, AS will be OK because of incredible customer loyalty (and a few key corporate accounts in SEA and PDX) and because they are a solid, well run airline. Time will tell if DL's aggressive moves will pay off.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I'm struggling with m&a 101. Pre merger UA or CO operated X(UA)+Y(CO) routes for A+B profit(relative to industry). Post merger it looks like .75(X+Y) + Z(new routes) routes for less than former A+B profit(relative to industry).

Basically they are shrinking and removing routes that may or may not have been profitable. This has resulted in less total profit share (relative to industry) than the two former airlines made separately.

Would UA be even less profitable if they did not cut routes?

Another issue with route/frequency cuts is IRROPS. Concentrating more frequent flights at fewer hubs leaves more options. There are now less total flights from any single destination to a single hub than before. But there are often more routing/hub possibilities. This is OK if you are at the spoke city. If you get stuck at a hub, I find myself wishing for pre merger UA or CO schedules to places like SEA/BOS/DFW/SAN. I'm getting rebooked on dl/aa/as a lot due to 2-3 flights a day (often RJs that are late) vs 4-5 former flights (mostly mainline). SEA seems to be one of the main cutbacks.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Not SEA_friendly
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:26 am

Does this also affect UA's ground crew at SEA?
I also really liked the SEA-based FAs, and this announcement makes me sad.
I can't remember the last time UA announced anything that made me smile.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by agjil
Does this also affect UA's ground crew at SEA?
I also really liked the SEA-based FAs, and this announcement makes me sad.
I can't remember the last time UA announced anything that made me smile.
no, this has nothing to do with the front line employees working the counter/gates/ramp.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
johnden, in three words: "Shrinking to grow"?

There also was this: [United spokeswoman Megan] "McCarthy said the goal is to shed at least 2,100 of the airline’s 23,000 flight attendants." But at this point, anyone pmUA left at United must be among the best in the industry, or any industry, at rolling with the punches. (She didn't say that.)

On another track, but perhaps another reflection of your comment's theme, one can go way back. Time was when UA = Boeing. Or actually the other way around. Then UA picked up and moved to Chicago. Now, with its heart in Houston (think a .......ization of Tony Bennett's most famous song) SEA is another step removed.

Rolling with the punches must include feeling like the adopted child, parents dead, having to move to another city.

ETA: Delta, after appropriating Northwest ('s presence at SEA) is moving in the opposite direction. And growing to grow.

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 17, 2014 at 10:35 am
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Is there any way for FT to express disappointment/thanks to the SEA FAs because of the closing of there base? I was pleased to read after my initial post that so many others agreed with me about their service for so long. It must have been a senior base, and this closing's gotta cause some "disruption."
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:22 pm

Even though the SEASW base is closing some are transferring to the SFOSW base, so let's say one has a flight say in February with SFO based crews, the FAs could very well be former SEA based FAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.