Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LX C vs sCO BF vs LH C (old 744) vs LH C (new 747-8)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

Need to get to ZRH from DEN. Return trip will be from LHR and will be on UA.

I am well over 100k for the year with high spend (almost all in UA BF going TPAC), possible GS re-qualification.

I hate the short flights from IAD-ZRH because you have no chance to get decent sleep (and only full fare J available for the day I want to travel). The shorter flights from EWR would seem to be annoying, plus the fact its a sCO 764, with no bulkhead seats currently available (although pricing is in D class, not terrible).

For alternatives I have been exploring LX from SFO or LAX (longer flight = more sleep), LH DEN-FRA-ZRH (but that is the old LH C on the 744), and routing through FRA via IAD or ORD, which gets me the LH 747-8 at the cost of an extra stop vs the UA options from EWR/IAD-ZRH or the LX options LAX/SFO-ZRH.

I have heard the LX C seats are too narrow and firm for some, and as a bigger dude that is concerning. I know the old LH C seats are not 180 degree flat and are lumpy. And I have heard good things about LH 747-8.

Should I take the one stop flight on UA/LX via SFO/LAX, the two-stop flights on UA/LH on the 747-8 through ORD/IAD, the one-stop LH 744 DEN-FRA-ZRH or just stick with a one-stop UA through EWR and deal with the annoying timing and seats (and use the arrivals lounge in ZRH to catch up on sleep before I can check into my hotel)?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Different option - how about OS? Can get you as far as ORD. Slightly better/newer seat than LX, fantastic food & coffee.

Or, even more fun...backtrack to LAX and do NZ to LHR, and connect there?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Old LH C is terrible. OS is nice...I'd do LX C if the only options were LH and LX because at least its not a crap shoot.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
LX and OS have the same (excellent) C seat - though OS soft product is superior. I am not that small (6'2", 220lbs) and like the LX/OS C seats, especially singlets, very much. Also, while new LH C is a vast improvement over the old one, I still prefer OS or even LX.

If you are already considering two stop itineraries, UA-NYC's idea is really good - DEN-ORD-VIE-ZRH on OS (UA first leg, presumably) would involve less backtracking and be better than LH via FRA and ORD/IAD; alternately, best of the options you mention IMHO is LX via SFO/LAX.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM *Alliance Gold
I've done LX C on the SFO ZRH route several times. It's a very nice flight. If you are traveling alone I highly recommend one of the "throne" seats in C. You should be eligible with GS status. Nice timing too with an evening departure from SFO. Known as the "Roche coach" because of all the business flyers from Genentech and it's corporate owner in Switzerland. .
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
My suggestion - backtrack to LAX for the 748 to FRA and try for a GPU upgrade. You will need to get to LAX early, but you are guaranteed LH new C, with the chance at F.

Downsides are a long layover at LAX, plus the pain of changing terminals at LAX.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: UA G
LH old C < LH new C < UA BF

I've only flown the old LX C product, so no comment on that. I'll take UA C over LH C any day.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I like LX C but it is a little firmer than sCO BF. I think LH New C would win (but haven't flown it!). Avoid LH Old C, as others have stated. Adequate on day flights but horrible on night flights.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't think there's an obvious right answer here, no solution is perfect and what's best depends on your priorities (i.e., fewer connections vs. better seat vs. better flight time).

I do like this one though:

Originally Posted by sammybk
My suggestion - backtrack to LAX for the 748 to FRA and try for a GPU upgrade. You will need to get to LAX early, but you are guaranteed LH new C, with the chance at F.

Downsides are a long layover at LAX, plus the pain of changing terminals at LAX.
I don't mind the terminal change at LAX so long as there's sufficient time for the connection. It's a pleasant walk on the top level and the new *A lounge (use the J side, not the F side) is awesome.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by seanp7
I like LX C but it is a little firmer than sCO BF. I think LH New C would win (but haven't flown it!). Avoid LH Old C, as others have stated. Adequate on day flights but horrible on night flights.
OS C is heavenly.

LH old C is to be avoided, LH new C is quite nice, and a big improvement.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by halls120
OS C is heavenly.

LH old C is to be avoided, LH new C is quite nice, and a big improvement.
Good to hear ... I'm scheduled to first time check out OS C on 10/19
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
You won't be disappointed.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
IMHO, best TATL C - try getting one of the singlet 'throne' seats. (Any A or K on 763s, A or K in odd rows on 772s.) And enjoy!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

LH old C < LH new C < UA BF
I think that depends on the type of aircraft. UA BF on a 777 with the 2-4-2 seating is, IMO, inferior to the new LH C. It feels rather cramped, especially when you're stuck in the center.

By contrast, LH C on say an A388 is nothing if not spacious.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by itsMoe
By contrast, LH C on say an A388 is nothing if not spacious.
Spacious, maybe. But horrible for sleeping. (just noting this in case anyone is reading the thread who doesn't realize it's old LH C on the A388).

Edit: As itsMoe and UTexas09 point out below LH has put in their new C in some A388s. I hadn't realized that (and it surely is a change for the better). Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by endrond; Oct 6, 2014 at 10:31 pm Reason: inaccurate info in my original post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.