Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Paying for an E+ seat (even though you don't have to) is cheap insurance to GUARANTEE 2 RPUS and 6 GPUs. Don't get chintzy on this one. Compared to a lot of people who are short of 1K, you have a pretty cheap/painless out.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How can you even do an E+ buy-up as a 1K? Those seats are free.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm assuming one can call and ask to give them money for something that should be free.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
There was a post about this somewhere else, apologies I can't find it.

Pull your MP # off a ticket, then go in and pay for E+, then re-attach your MP number to the ticket and it will carry your PQD from the E+ seats.. That's the process if memory serves from that other posting.

Although, they were discussing just booking a new flight and "not adding" their MP # as opposed to what I'm proposing above.

Good luck.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm assuming one can call and ask to give them money for something that should be free.
I can just imagine how that call would go . . . "Sir, as a 1K, economy plus seats are complimentary. I can't charge you."

Originally Posted by Tblack15
Pull your MP # off a ticket, then go in and pay for E+, then re-attach your MP number to the ticket and it will carry your PQD from the E+ seats.. That's the process if memory serves from that other posting.
That would probably work, except without your MP number in the reservation, I'd be concerned about the PQD posting.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
If that doesn't work, this is the classic case for a "mileage run", although it's actually a PQD run. Don't know where you are, but certainly you can find a $150 R/T that takes an hour. Well worth it for the GPUs.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
If that doesn't work, this is the classic case for a "mileage run", although it's actually a PQD run. Don't know where you are, but certainly you can find a $150 R/T that takes an hour. Well worth it for the GPUs.
I already flew 121 EQS, about $80 per EQS but well under 100K EQM, another mileage run is very tiresome. Very tired though.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA

That would probably work, except without your MP number in the reservation, I'd be concerned about the PQD posting.
A hidden "benefit" of the inheriting status & benefits change..

If one has a booking for a SO for family member through your miles next year, you can buy E+ for them... Maybe this is what they're trying to accomplish

This is a <1% benefit (and not for me at all), but looking at the bright side!!!!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Gosh, I only need 77 PQM to reach gold. Do I need to do a mileage run? Just 77 miles!!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Sunny_Island
Gosh, I only need 77 PQM to reach gold. Do I need to do a mileage run? Just 77 miles!!
This is a difficult question.
Have folks been given some grace (100, 200, .. miles ) in the past years, yes. Have folks that close not been given grace -- yes. Why the difference, we do not know why and we don't know what will happen this year.

So if you are a gambling type and can live a chance of disappointment or feel your PQDs / cpm makes you a compelling exception, it's you decision. No one here can give you a definitive answer either way.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I recall hearing stories that UA might provide the 1K status, but not the 2 RPUs or 6 GPUs. One only gets those if earning the requisite points.

OT: Interesting if a pax flew the 100k and got the GPUs, but didn't actually achieve 1K due to <$10k spend or <4 UA segs, ...
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I recall hearing stories that UA might provide the 1K status, but not the 2 RPUs or 6 GPUs. One only gets those if earning the requisite points. ...
where?

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
.. OT: Interesting if a pax flew the 100k and got the GPUs, but didn't actually achieve 1K due to <$10k spend or <4 UA segs, ...
Presently you do not receive the elite status and/or certs unless all requirements have been met.

Such as
Premier members will earn six Global Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat., UA Plat., HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I need 6.5k PQM for 1k and need to spend 2.3k $ doing it.

It looks like I'm not going to make it this year. Its a shame because I had 50k PQM on March 1. Also its a shame that I didn't get a few more of my Lufthansa flights to price out correctly with UA 016 ticket numbers. I spent at least 35k on flights this year.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by CoolMike
I need 6.5k PQM for 1k and need to spend 2.3k $ doing it.

It looks like I'm not going to make it this year. Its a shame because I had 50k PQM on March 1. Also its a shame that I didn't get a few more of my Lufthansa flights to price out correctly with UA 016 ticket numbers. I spent at least 35k on flights this year.
You can book a flight, buy the PQM Accelerator miles, then cancel the flight as the bought miles go into your account before the 24 hour cancellation period.

I got quotes for $1300 for 6000 miles and $1600 for 12,000 miles. Shorter trips show less miles for sale, but the least I saw was 6000 miles.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by CMH1k
Originally Posted by CoolMike
I need 6.5k PQM for 1k and need to spend 2.3k $ doing it. ...
You can book a flight, buy the PQM Accelerator miles, then cancel the flight as the bought miles go into your account before the 24 hour cancellation period. ....
But that does not earn PQDs and appears the poster was also short on PQDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.