Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Passenger of Size" (PoS) also sometimes referred to "Customer of Size" (CoS)
Both acronyms are in FT Glossary

Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

United will not board a customer who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required.

*The average length of the seatbelt extension is approximately 25 inches. As the seat designs on our aircraft vary, it is possible that the seatbelt extension presented on your flight provides less than 25 inches of additional coverage. Regardless of the actual additional length the extension provides, if you do not meet the first criteria listed above when using the extension provided on your flight, it will be necessary for you to purchase an additional seat or an upgrade, where available.

Additional procedures

The additional seat must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If an additional seat is not available on the flight for which the customer is confirmed, he or she is required to rebook on the next United flight with seats available for accommodation. United will waive penalties or fees that may otherwise apply to this change.

If the customer is away from his or her home and must rebook for a flight for the following day, amenities including applicable meals and hotel accommodations for one night will be provided as appropriate. When the customer is able to rebook for a later flight on the same day as originally scheduled, amenities will not be provided.
Print Wikipost

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Greetings, I have a person who is significantly large and needs to travel with me. She's 5'5" and 360 pounds. I am generally aware of UA's policy from a quick check of their website (arm rest must fit down, 1 seatbelt extention). But if we could get her seated on the 1-seat side of an Embraer, would that change the equation at all? Maybe a bit more forgiving? Moreover, does it sound like she would fit? I plan to call UA soon with the same story but in the menatime, Anyone with experience , help would be appreciated.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Really no way to know for sure without the actual width the individual would take up in the seated position, everyone's body shape is different. I'd guess it might be close though.

Which Embraer aircraft is it? The widths vary among the Embraer models - EMB-170/175 (18.2"), E-145/135 (17.3"), or EMB-120 (17") [standard measurements from UA's website]?

UA's criteria should still apply, in theory, regardless of seat location - certainly the one-extender criterion would. Whether the FA would strictly enforce the armrest-down rule who knows. Not every seat has a moveable armrest.

Of course there is always some chance that the passenger could be moved to another seat for operational reasons (flight delay, cancelation, aicraft swap, etc) so it might be dicey if the only workable seat option is on the single-seat side and something happened.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Typically the pax must meet both UA's guidelines and obviously the physical dynamics of the specific seat. The 1-side idea is a good one, but UA can never guarantee a seat and it's always possible that there is an aircraft substitution or weight/balance requires moving people around.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
As stated above, it depends on which model aircraft. Your comment about the "single seat" side suggests you MAY be referring to the EMB-120 turbo-prop. If that is the case, be aware that the single-seat, "A" side has immovable armrests and is very tight. Most "B" seats, on the other hand, have a movable armrest on the aisle side and can be a bit more comfortable for large passengers. I am not as large as your friend but have found that rotating that rest up and out of the way makes it easier to leave the center rest down by allowing me to slide over an inch or two, slightly into the aisle. To get that armrest to move, you reach under it at the hinge point, where you will find the release catch switch. Holding that in allows the armrest to rotate up.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:14 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the UA Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Ok yeah it would be an EMB-145 according to UA but according to Flightaware they are using 135's on that route. The other option I have for the route is first class on a Delta MD-88 and 757. The UA is better because it's nonstop and usually cheaper that 1st class Delta. I just have a hard time with the idea of buying 2 seats when there's a good chance there wouldn't even be a seat next to her...what's the next course of action, kicking her off the plane entirely or making her sit on the 2-seat side paying for 2 seats?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I don't have specifics but as a fit, 172lb male with slightly wide shoulders, I would think the E145 'A' side is a poor choice for a POS. My shoulders get hit all the time by passing bottoms, bags, etc.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by VFRsoup
Greetings, I have a person who is significantly large and needs to travel with me.
I would suggest you sit together on the two seat side and put the arm rest up after takeoff. That way they can spread out and feel more comfortable about the space invasion since it is not happening to a stranger. Or just purchase two seats for your friend to use alone to begin with.

SunLover
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SunLover
I would suggest you sit together on the two seat side and put the arm rest up after takeoff. That way they can spread out and feel more comfortable about the space invasion since it is not happening to a stranger. Or just purchase two seats for your friend to use alone to begin with.

SunLover
+1

If in doubt, then please do not buy one seat next to an unknown passenger. If you are perfectly comfortable sitting next to your acquaintance, then do so. If you are not perfectly comfortable sitting next to her, then it's probably a good idea to buy 2 seats.

Regardless of UA's official policy, there is also common courtesy to consider. If any part of a passenger's body extends beyond the armrest and into the next seat, then they are taking space that another passenger has paid for and is expecting to be able to use.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Agree with SunLover. Either squeeze into the 2 seat side with your friend,or have her buy 2 seats and you can try to sit across the aisle in the single seat.

Re: the single seat side, I'm a smaller guy (5'9" and 150lb), but even then feel a bit claustrophobic in that seat due to the curvature of the fuselage.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:49 am

"passenger of size" on United Express Embraer?

The aisle armrest will still have to be down for takeoff and landing on the single seat side so make sure they can do that.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
...Re: the single seat side, I'm a smaller guy (5'9" and 150lb), but even then feel a bit claustrophobic in that seat due to the curvature of the fuselage.
Counterpoint: I'm 6'3" and 240, and love the single-seat side.

I'd bet $20 (but not $100) that the OP's friend could wedge herself into one of those seats...

OP...just don't let an unsuspecting passenger get squashed. I was in a CRJ-200 about a year ago and had a guy who was at least 400 lbs sit next to me. I spent a significant portion of the flight standing up in the back.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I'll add that I'm not the smallest guy around (5'11", ~310lbs), and while I have no issue fitting into a 17" RJ seat, the issue I have in the A seat on the ERJ145 is that the slope of the fuselage seriously cuts into my head shoulder room, forcing me to lean into the aisle on an almost constant basis. I realize that OP's friend isn't quite as tall, but the slope might still make the A seat uncomfortable if the friend is broad-shouldered. I'll echo the others and say to take the aisle on the BC side and hope for the best.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
One other thought is that you can book the seat next to your friend, and then if there are any other open seats shortly before departure, just open the United App and switch to a different seat next to a (hopefully) more petite passenger.

This avoids any unnecessary discomfort (if there really are open seats available anyway) and if there is any necessary discomfort it is limited to you and your friend and will not impact a stranger.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
I don't have specifics but as a fit, 172lb male with slightly wide shoulders, I would think the E145 'A' side is a poor choice for a POS. My shoulders get hit all the time by passing bottoms, bags, etc.
I'm only slightly smaller in weight and size, and sat on an A side just yesterday. It is not large by any stretch; in fact, I'd call it rather small. The aisle side arm rests do go up (if you know how), but the FAs can require you to put them down, and also can require that you keep your legs out of the aisle.

I think the best bet may be for the OP's associate to purchase two seats in the bulkhead B/C side, and to remember that it might be difficult to even get down the aisle ... these are slim aircraft.

Scratch that, the best bet is to not fly that leg with that kind of equipment!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.