Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Passenger of Size" (PoS) also sometimes referred to "Customer of Size" (CoS)
Both acronyms are in FT Glossary

Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

United will not board a customer who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required.

*The average length of the seatbelt extension is approximately 25 inches. As the seat designs on our aircraft vary, it is possible that the seatbelt extension presented on your flight provides less than 25 inches of additional coverage. Regardless of the actual additional length the extension provides, if you do not meet the first criteria listed above when using the extension provided on your flight, it will be necessary for you to purchase an additional seat or an upgrade, where available.

Additional procedures

The additional seat must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If an additional seat is not available on the flight for which the customer is confirmed, he or she is required to rebook on the next United flight with seats available for accommodation. United will waive penalties or fees that may otherwise apply to this change.

If the customer is away from his or her home and must rebook for a flight for the following day, amenities including applicable meals and hotel accommodations for one night will be provided as appropriate. When the customer is able to rebook for a later flight on the same day as originally scheduled, amenities will not be provided.
Print Wikipost

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by findark
The seat width on a mainline narrowbody has been more or less the same since 1958, except for the rare 5-across configurations. In terms of fitting into the seat width, it's pax size that has changed.
Most of the adults in 1958 lived through the Great Depression and. World War II, times of food shortages.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: QR Silver
These problems would be easier to solve if airlines make it possible to upsize seats, at 50% of the normal seat cost, using the normal booking systems. Perhaps some airline authority could make this mandatory (1 country might be enough).

a) Booking an extra seat is usually not possible on-line. Having to deal with a call center is a major extra hassle, and often costs extra.

b) Very few bigger sized passengers actually need 2 whole seats. Extra seats can be shared between 2 passengers.

c) If I have to pay 50% extra, I should get extra luggage allowance as well. Bigger people need to carry more stuff after all (bigger clothes, medical stuff,...).

The extra operational expenses for airlines would be minimal.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gumbleby
These problems would be easier to solve if airlines make it possible to upsize seats, at 50% of the normal seat cost, using the normal booking systems. Perhaps some airline authority could make this mandatory (1 country might be enough).

a) Booking an extra seat is usually not possible on-line. Having to deal with a call center is a major extra hassle, and often costs extra.

b) Very few bigger sized passengers actually need 2 whole seats. Extra seats can be shared between 2 passengers.

c) If I have to pay 50% extra, I should get extra luggage allowance as well. Bigger people need to carry more stuff after all (bigger clothes, medical stuff,...).

The extra operational expenses for airlines would be minimal.
Or how about they have to buy an extra seat, but if two large people are on the same flight they will be given an aisle/window setup and 50% of the extra seat cost is refunded.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: MSC Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, RCCL Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite
Calling POS. Will I be comfortable in economy?

I'm 6'2" tall. 300# 48" waist 32" inseam. What are the chances I would be comfortable in an economy seat on a 767-400er?. Thanks in advance..!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 4, 2019 at 11:01 am Reason: moved to master thread
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA GS/1Mil Flyer, Pond scum on everything else.
Economy minus will be painful. Economy plus will help with the leg room. It'll be tough doing that seat for a long haul however.... don't expect much sleep. I'd try to get a window.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by toddt
Economy minus will be painful. Economy plus will help with the leg room. It'll be tough doing that seat for a long haul however.... don't expect much sleep. I'd try to get a window.
On some planes, you can raise the armrest on the aisle side. I don't know if you can do that on the 767-400er but if it's possible that would be a better choice.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Harmoncove
What are the chances I would be comfortable in an economy seat on a 767-400er?
I would say zero.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm similar dimensions. The 767 is usually 2 - 3 - 2 seating meaning you'll only have one person next to you. Assuming you are heading on an 8sh hour flight I suggest getting up every few hours so you won't feel like complete garbage when you get to your destination.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would say zero.
same as your seatmate’s comfortability... also zero.
Ari, lhrsfo, chavala and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:28 pm

Buy two seats and lift up the armrest between the two -- avoid bulkhead seats as those armrests may not lift up (and do some comparison shopping).
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Harmoncove
I'm 6'2" tall. 300# 48" waist 32" inseam. What are the chances I would be comfortable in an economy seat on a 767-400er?. Thanks in advance..!
the non-bulkhead seats on the 767-400 are among the more comfortable economy seats available, but I am quite a bit smaller then you and I am not comfortable n them for more than about 90 minutes. That said, I regularly fly in less comfortable seats for longer times. I also spend more of my income than I probably should paying for upgrades and buying forward cabin tickets.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Buy two seats and lift up the armrest between the two -- avoid bulkhead seats as those armrests may not lift up (and do some comparison shopping).
yes this is the answer -- on the sides where there are only 2 seats. I'd say that no adult will be comfortable in an economy or economy plus seat on such a flight. but i can't see that you could even fit in one seat, without taking up 1/3 or so of the adjacent seat.
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If you get a Polaris modified bird, get row 22 in the center, you will have roughly 5 feet of legroom
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:42 pm
FTA

I wouldn't do it if the flight is more than1 hour
bbriscoe34 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:49 pm

Get E+. You’ll be ok. You don’t need two seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.