Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Passenger of Size" (PoS) also sometimes referred to "Customer of Size" (CoS)
Both acronyms are in FT Glossary

Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

United will not board a customer who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required.

*The average length of the seatbelt extension is approximately 25 inches. As the seat designs on our aircraft vary, it is possible that the seatbelt extension presented on your flight provides less than 25 inches of additional coverage. Regardless of the actual additional length the extension provides, if you do not meet the first criteria listed above when using the extension provided on your flight, it will be necessary for you to purchase an additional seat or an upgrade, where available.

Additional procedures

The additional seat must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If an additional seat is not available on the flight for which the customer is confirmed, he or she is required to rebook on the next United flight with seats available for accommodation. United will waive penalties or fees that may otherwise apply to this change.

If the customer is away from his or her home and must rebook for a flight for the following day, amenities including applicable meals and hotel accommodations for one night will be provided as appropriate. When the customer is able to rebook for a later flight on the same day as originally scheduled, amenities will not be provided.
Print Wikipost

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kvan
This is entirely the fault of the airlines, who have downsized Y seats to the point that a "normal" size person barely has enough shoulder room. Luckily for me my wife is very petite, so if she is in the middle I and whoever shares our row gets a bit of breathing room when we fly together.
Except the width of the airplanes hasn't changed--thus the only way the seats would have gotten narrower is if they added another seat across. I haven't seen them do that.

Seat pitch has changed but that's a problem for tall people, not fat people.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
Point of sale?
Yeah, that's the first meaning that comes to mind to me, also.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
The policy for UA is:

"A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

1. The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.
2. The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
3. The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space."
She should have been offloaded. End of story.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Here's one solution - on NB aircraft, put in two rows of 2-2 seating all the way in the rear of the cabin.
Why "all the way in the rear"? Mightn't that lead to more tail strikes?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Except the width of the airplanes hasn't changed--thus the only way the seats would have gotten narrower is if they added another seat across. I haven't seen them do that.
Apparently you haven't flown Y on United's 787.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by kale73
Why "all the way in the rear"? Mightn't that lead to more tail strikes?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:22 am

After having a few days of back pain following a flight next to a POS, I've decided to have a low tolerance for deboarding myself if seated next to a severely encroaching POS. It's not worth my health or sanity. Will post back if it happens.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:41 pm

On a narrow body they can't really add an extra seat across (you know they'd do it if they could). However, they could come up with a set of three seats where one is extra wide (for the larger folks out there), one is extra narrow (suitable for a kid), and one is normal. I'm sure they could work out a price structure that would put more cash in their pockets.

One thing the airlines might have going for them is the perception that obesity, unlike height, is something that a person can control. Therefore, if they are overflowing into an adjacent seat then it's their own fault and they should be the ones to pay the extra cash, not force "regular" people to accommodate their lack of willpower.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Sorry, I don't agree with any concept of the airlines making accommodations for POS. Those accommodations cost money and the flying public in general will end up paying for it.

Enforcement of the 2nd seat purchasing rule is the way to go
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
OP - you handled this better than I would have handled it.

POS in the bulkhead? That must have been a tight tight squeeze. I don't think I'd book a seat up there is I was a POS.

If there was an open seat in the back, why not play National League manager and perform a double switch thereby giving the POS two seats with an arm rest that would go up? Yes it takes a bit of time but all passengers involved would have had a nicer ride. 1 ) POS gets 2 seats. 2) OP and mom get room in their own paid for seats. 3) A muggle from Y- gets to sit in Y+. All solved

Edit: BMI is virtually useless (except for possibly hiking insurance rates)

Last edited by thegrailer; Jul 25, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:11 pm

Overweight

On a PS flight in e+ and the person in the middle seat (I'm in window) is so obese he is halfway in my space. I can't even see he arm rest. Full flight and must take this one as I need to get home. Ridiculous and extremely uncomfortable. Do I have any recourse with United. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by lpro1111
On a PS flight in e+ and the person in the middle seat (I'm in window) is so obese he is halfway in my space. I can't even see he arm rest. Full flight and must take this one as I need to get home. Ridiculous and extremely uncomfortable. Do I have any recourse with United. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sounds awful. Have you talked to FA? I would get up and go speak to one. Maybe there is 1 free seat you haven't seen elsewhere?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:19 pm

I did and so did the person in the aisle that's how bad it is. Flight oversold. Not one avail seat
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
For cases like this, aren't they supposed to buy two seats?

Just wondering. I think WN forced people to do this at some point.

You should not have to sit on his lap, that is patently unfair.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
You or Aisle should take one for the team and switch seats with the big guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.