Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Passenger of Size" (PoS) also sometimes referred to "Customer of Size" (CoS)
Both acronyms are in FT Glossary

Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

United will not board a customer who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required.

*The average length of the seatbelt extension is approximately 25 inches. As the seat designs on our aircraft vary, it is possible that the seatbelt extension presented on your flight provides less than 25 inches of additional coverage. Regardless of the actual additional length the extension provides, if you do not meet the first criteria listed above when using the extension provided on your flight, it will be necessary for you to purchase an additional seat or an upgrade, where available.

Additional procedures

The additional seat must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If an additional seat is not available on the flight for which the customer is confirmed, he or she is required to rebook on the next United flight with seats available for accommodation. United will waive penalties or fees that may otherwise apply to this change.

If the customer is away from his or her home and must rebook for a flight for the following day, amenities including applicable meals and hotel accommodations for one night will be provided as appropriate. When the customer is able to rebook for a later flight on the same day as originally scheduled, amenities will not be provided.
Print Wikipost

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Is there a policy (by UA or any other airline) where - at a certain point / physical dimension - a POS pax is/can be required to book two seats?
Yes, supplied in the thread's wiki with links to the UA website.

Short version
A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.
Longer version see the wiki or united
cesco.g and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Don't want to sit next to a rotund passenger encroaching on your space -- BUY FIRST
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Originally Posted by chavala
Originally Posted by prestonh TBF UA needs to put everyone through a seat sizer just like they do with the carry on luggage. If they keep slimming down the seats they have to make sure the tikets they sell to pax will fit. Otherwise they should refund and accommodate for selling a faulty product etc. or being forced to disclose who fits in what seats as you are booking. oh the salt that would flow lol Changes you will like UA brings this on themselves with the slimlines
LOL I love this idea.
Amusement parks have a chair on some of the rides to check fit, why not airlines
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Don't want to sit next to a rotund passenger encroaching on your space -- BUY FIRST
If it's "my space" then the rotund passenger should not encroach in it. The rotund passenger should be the one buying First or two seats in Economy.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by blitzen
No one wants a middle seat, but it can be avoided by either paying for another seat assignment, booking earlier, ...... the question was what she could have done. And my answer is to plan better to not end up in the situation
Sorry, your response makes no sense. Why should it be my burden to take a priori defensive action against potentially being stuck between two large people? I have every right to expect that the seat I'm assigned to is mine and not partially occupied by my neighbor. How often have you had to travel at short notice on popular routes when you just can't get a good seat regardless of your FF status? There are so many situations that you don't control when you find yourself in a middle seat.

Besides, despite all your planning you could be in the window seat and squished by an obese person in the middle seat. What are you going to say to that? Don't fly at all? Or buy a business class seat to avoid such a situation?

(PS: I already see that someone else has recommended that people buy first class seats to avoid this situation. This discussion has truly taken a bizarre turn. It's your fault, I guess, for finding yourself next to a big person who overflows into your space.)

Last edited by thebakaronis; Jan 30, 2019 at 2:23 pm Reason: Added PS.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
Sorry, your response makes no sense. Why should it be my burden to take a priori defensive action against potentially being stuck between two large people? I have every right to expect that the seat I'm assigned to is mine and not partially occupied by my neighbor. How often have you had to travel at short notice on popular routes when you just can't get a good seat regardless of your FF status? There are so many situations that you don't control when you find yourself in a middle seat.

Besides, despite all your planning you could be in the window seat and squished by an obese person in the middle seat. What are you going to say to that? Don't fly at all? Or buy a business class seat to avoid such a situation?

(PS: I already see that someone else has recommended that people buy first class seats to avoid this situation. This discussion has truly taken a bizarre turn. It's your fault, I guess, for finding yourself next to a big person who overflows into your space.)
again the question was “what could she have done to avoid it”? And no middle seat and first class are the things SHE could have done. Bigger seats or buying two seats .... are not in her control.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, supplied in the thread's wiki with links to the UA website.

Short version

Longer version see the wiki or united
Guys and Gals, This discussion is getting absurd....READ THE QUOTE ABOVE FROM THE UA WEBSITE!!!! Some of us have referred to it numerous times...it's also in the Wiki. READ IT??? UA has a very clear policy. The quishee gets the seat that they booked. The squisher needs to buy a second seat or a FC seat. Period!!!!!....The problem is enforcement, and also that "normal" passengers don't know their rights. Perhaps instead of the policy only being on the website under "Special Travel Needs," it also needs some kind of publication where all travelers are aware they have a right to their "seat space" and that even significant encroachment into your seat space is not permissible even if armrests are down and the POS can sit with only one extender...The policy also needs to be clearly explained to UA staff so they can PRO-ACTIVELY ENFORCE. When they come around prior to departure to check seat backs are up and seat belts are on, they should also be checking for raised armrests caused by a POS, additional seat belt extenders, or significant encroachment.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Guys and Gals, This discussion is getting absurd....READ THE QUOTE ABOVE FROM THE UA WEBSITE!!!! Some of us have referred to it numerous times...it's also in the Wiki. READ IT??? UA has a very clear policy. The quishee gets the seat that they booked. The squisher needs to buy a second seat or a FC seat. Period!!!!!....The problem is enforcement. . . . . . . .
Really could stop right there. The problem being "enforcement" never happens. By pretty much anybody except apparently Southwest.

So far as I can tell, and I'll admit living in DFW United is not my most probable airline so maybe I missed it, the airline has said nothing. Which might be better than some breathy PR quote and a chorus of corporate happy songs, but they are passing on a really good, even obligatory, chance to clarify the issue. Either enforce, or ignore by plan and get a handle early on seats to be blocked.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by jayer
Really could stop right there. The problem being "enforcement" never happens. By pretty much anybody except apparently Southwest.

So far as I can tell, and I'll admit living in DFW United is not my most probable airline so maybe I missed it, the airline has said nothing. Which might be better than some breathy PR quote and a chorus of corporate happy songs, but they are passing on a really good, even obligatory, chance to clarify the issue. Either enforce, or ignore by plan and get a handle early on seats to be blocked.
Yes...good thought...this would have been a great time for saying the woman was only deplaned purely due to her behavior, but then go on to explain their policy and state that if the POS's that were involved didn't meet UA criteria, they should have been the ones moved or dis-embarked, not the woman.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Been thinking about this article and situation and I'm no longer even in the camp that refers to the woman in the middle as being rude. She didn't direct verbal abuse toward the POSes on either side until they directed it at her. Yes, she was talking to someone on the phone and wasn't taking care to not be heard but it's not like she could have moved after being squashed between those two. I'm not svelte myself but I don't overflow like the guy obviously must have and the negative experience goes from inconvenience to outright torture with the square of the flight time.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I suppose there's less liability in accusing a normal sized person of fat shaming someone than to accommodate them appropriately in the first place. Our society has become so "tolerant" that everyone is a protected class. What happened to common sense?
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Or maybe is a tactic to get rid of the passenger in the middle seat? That does not work too well when the plane is fully packed.
As most are these days.

I was mildly on the side of the POS'ers until I saw their full pictures in one of the news articles. I don't know that the woman is oversize, I would guess not. But the gentleman is easily 375-400 lbs, and could have been easily evaluated at the gate for his non-compliant size. But as I've noted elsewhere in a post, United staff (both gate agents and onboard) have been loathe to call out anti-social behavior the last few years. Something which I believe is merely "doing their job".
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:50 am

Who had antisocial behavior? The middle pax, the POS or all three?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by drewguy
Why is that relevant? Miles are a form of currency to purchase tickets - it doesn't mean that ticket comes with lesser "rights" than a ticket paid for with cash/credit.
Originally Posted by Baze
Article missing a lot of info. Where was she moved to? Another middle seat? What kind of ticket was she on? A Basic Economy fare? Lots of missing info. And I think she was just a complainer that didn't want to sit in a middle seat.
Originally Posted by Segments
During her phone call she mentioned she’s flying on miles (24 second mark of video)
My post was relevant because it was responding to a question in post 264 which asked if she was flying Basic Economy. Responded that while article didn’t specify, middle seat pax indicates in video that she was flying on miles. A BE ticket does come with less rights regarding seat selection. Since she was flying on miles she would have had the right to select a non-middle seat if one was available.

Of course whether one chooses to fly when only middle seats remain is another question ...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Segments
Of course whether one chooses to fly when only middle seats remain is another question ...
Or, whether or not UA honors your seat request. Or if there's a flight cancellation and you're rerouted onto a flight you didn't select in the first place. You never know why someone has a poor seat assignment; it's not always their fault.
chavala and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.