Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Passenger of Size" (PoS) also sometimes referred to "Customer of Size" (CoS)
Both acronyms are in FT Glossary

Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

United will not board a customer who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required.

*The average length of the seatbelt extension is approximately 25 inches. As the seat designs on our aircraft vary, it is possible that the seatbelt extension presented on your flight provides less than 25 inches of additional coverage. Regardless of the actual additional length the extension provides, if you do not meet the first criteria listed above when using the extension provided on your flight, it will be necessary for you to purchase an additional seat or an upgrade, where available.

Additional procedures

The additional seat must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If an additional seat is not available on the flight for which the customer is confirmed, he or she is required to rebook on the next United flight with seats available for accommodation. United will waive penalties or fees that may otherwise apply to this change.

If the customer is away from his or her home and must rebook for a flight for the following day, amenities including applicable meals and hotel accommodations for one night will be provided as appropriate. When the customer is able to rebook for a later flight on the same day as originally scheduled, amenities will not be provided.
Print Wikipost

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:45 pm

2-3 weeks ago on ord/pdx flight they delayed closing door over PoS issue...sitting in first row and with a very brief conversation w/ FA what i could figure out was it was a battle between FA and GA:

FA stance was that passenger next to PoS was uncomfortable, stated as such, and they needed to try to accommodate as PoS clearly didn't fit cleanly in seat

GA stance was that their job (the GA's) is to board the plane and shut the door....guy was "in" the seat, lets shut the door so you can push back....the GA also seemed to be trying to pull seniority of some sort to send the flight on its way
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold
Was on a flight from DEN>IAH last week and a woman who was a PoS had the middle seat in E+ on a 737. Window seat and myself were already on board when she came and indicated she was in our row. She immediately pointed out the issue and apologized and said she would do everything she could to minimize the impact to us. There was definitely some 'overlap' with the seating but she did her best to stay within the armrest. We actually talked most of the way down since we're both IAH based and she had a pretty good sense of humor. Anyways, I'm usually one to draw attention to these things but she had a really great attitude and proactively started the discussion about the issue which really changed my attitude about the situation as well. Sometimes being nice and open with people can really turn an incident around. Just something to keep in mind the next time you run into the PoS issue.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by richfish13
Was on a flight from DEN>IAH last week and a woman who was a PoS had the middle seat in E+ on a 737. Window seat and myself were already on board when she came and indicated she was in our row. She immediately pointed out the issue and apologized and said she would do everything she could to minimize the impact to us. There was definitely some 'overlap' with the seating but she did her best to stay within the armrest. We actually talked most of the way down since we're both IAH based and she had a pretty good sense of humor. Anyways, I'm usually one to draw attention to these things but she had a really great attitude and proactively started the discussion about the issue which really changed my attitude about the situation as well. Sometimes being nice and open with people can really turn an incident around. Just something to keep in mind the next time you run into the PoS issue.
Yeah, it's amazing how one kind word or gesture can instantly defuse a potentially uncomfortable situation.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

Last edited by porciuscato; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:22 pm Reason: Ask me if you care
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: United
Obesity in the exit row

On a flight today from DEN I barely missed a CPU but booked an exit row seat non the less. When I got to my exit row seat I was slightly shocked. The women sitting in the middle flowed out of her seat into both the aisle and window. The left side of my body was literally hot from her body heat coming off on me. She must have been at least 350 lbs. To make matters worse she ate her smelly McDonalds McGriddles while sipping down a Diet Coke.

Does United have a policy in place for people who sit in the exit row. Obviously you have to be capable of assisting the flight crew in an emergency but Im not sure if this women would have been able to perform?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
I've seen a pax get bounced from the exit row before because they couldn't fasten their belt without an extender. Apparently extenders cannot be used in exit rows, so I imagine this person was simply under the cusp of that requirement.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: United
@mtfw

Yeah she didnt need a seat belt extender but she barely fit in the exit row. Without a doubt two seats were taken up by one person.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
385-Pound Man Kicked Off United Flight For Row Mate’s Comfort

I didn't see this posted - apologies if a duplicate thread.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...0b90ac270750a?

I seem to recall that if you extend more than one inch onto the adjacent seat(s), you need to purchase two seats.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Kind of a misleading title here, as we all know the rules on POS. Was this copied from the paper's article? (I didn't read it, knowing which way they will align with).

Good for United on this one. But I blame the GA for not screening this one earlier if it was a completely full flight.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
Kind of a misleading title here, as we all know the rules on POS. Was this copied from the paper's article? (I didn't read it, knowing which way they will align with).

Good for United on this one. But I blame the GA for not screening this one earlier if it was a completely full flight.
Yes, I cut-and-pasted the headline from the story. (Mods: feel free to change if needed.)
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by aacharya

Yeah, the guy seemed to have contact with the GA when he asked to get his aisle seat back.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA GS
I am a 340 lbs 6'5"+ person (but I don't need a seatbelt extension :-))and I still side with UA. Right thing to do, I wish they'd follow thru more often.
I book FC to avoid inconveniencing me and others.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
A couple of points. PAX says he paid extra to pre-board. UA doesn't sell this AFAIK. Second, he says he was in row 36. Don't know on what plane, but if on a 738, this is one of the last three rows -- so seats are an inch narrower than in all other Y rows. Makes situation even more difficult.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seenitall
A couple of points. PAX says he paid extra to pre-board. UA doesn't sell this AFAIK. Second, he says he was in row 36. Don't know on what plane, but if on a 738, this is one of the last three rows -- so seats are an inch narrower than in all other Y rows. Makes situation even more difficult.
Probably paid for Premier Access to get group 2 boarding.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Baze
Probably paid for Premier Access to get group 2 boarding.
United definitely sells an "early boarding" option which might have been Premier Access but I think I recall it being sold as just that... early boarding. It came up when I was booking an award ticket for my son a couple days ago. So yes, you can definitely buy "early boarding" as an add-on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.