Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Booked Y award for 4 of us, so no possibility to buy up to Polaris. Would E+ row 16 or 27 be a better bet? SFO-SYD. Seats going for around $130-$140 in either row. Thx
I've been pretty happy in row 16 on the bulkhead - ample leg room. Only problem is the solid armrests for the tray tables, plus risk of bassinet in 16DE. If you can get 16FJKL you could do worse.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
If row 16 DEF have been greyed out for months now...is that indicative of a party with a baby using the bassinet, is United holding it for such a purpose, or other? I don't want to knowingly book E+ seats near an infant (though believe me I get it....flew with our tykes a lot as babies).
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
If row 16 DEF have been greyed out for months now...is that indicative of a party with a baby using the bassinet, is United holding it for such a purpose, or other? I don't want to knowingly book E+ seats near an infant (though believe me I get it....flew with our tykes a lot as babies).
It is more likely that somebody only selected 16F. 16DE are always blocked and shown as occupied from the day you can first book a specific flight. You can only see if they are actually physically occupied, or selectable, on the check in (or SDC) screens.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
It is more likely that somebody only selected 16F. 16DE are always blocked and shown as occupied from the day you can first book a specific flight. You can only see if they are actually physically occupied, or selectable, on the check in (or SDC) screens.
ExpertFlyer will show the block if they are not occupied (unlike some carriers).
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:16 pm

OK, did look on ExFl and 16DEF do show occupied not blocked.

So that tells me very good chance of family with baby there, correct?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
OK, did look on ExFl and 16DEF do show occupied not blocked.

So that tells me very good chance of family with baby there, correct?
Could be a baby, or someone with a leg cast, or anyone else who was able to call the right people at United at get the seats assigned. But yes, a much higher chance of the bassinet in use than if they were not assigned.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by findark
Could be a baby, or someone with a leg cast, or anyone else who was able to call the right people at United at get the seats assigned. But yes, a much higher chance of the bassinet in use than if they were not assigned.
Eh, guess thats why row 16 is user beware, right?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Row 1 and 6 were totally open 2 months out on my recent flight and pretty much the whole of the front cabin was gone before anyone grabbed a seat in row 6! (I had grabbed 1L, as I like window seats.)

I guess we are all lucky that seatguru is really stupid and marks rows 1 and 6 as bad.
How was your experience in 1L? The comments about the footrests make me think I should grab something in row 6 (I'm currently in 1L; seatmap is wide open, including all of row 6; not surprising as I was able to get a polaris seat on NRT-LAX for 70k miles)

Also, I'm a bit confused. The wiki suggests that only 6D and E have the big footrests, but other posts suggest that it's all of row 6.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How was your experience in 1L? The comments about the footrests make me think I should grab something in row 6 (I'm currently in 1L; seatmap is wide open, including all of row 6; not surprising as I was able to get a polaris seat on NRT-LAX for 70k miles)

Also, I'm a bit confused. The wiki suggests that only 6D and E have the big footrests, but other posts suggest that it's all of row 6.
1L was great. I think I got at least 8 hours sleep. 6L is great too.

Looks like the wiki writer likes direct aisle access. I'm over 6' and don't care. All the row 1 and row 6 seats have much wider foot area than the other rows. There are some good photos in this review.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kremmen
1L was great. I think I got at least 8 hours sleep. 6L is great too.

Looks like the wiki writer likes direct aisle access. I'm over 6' and don't care. All the row 1 and row 6 seats have much wider foot area than the other rows. There are some good photos in this review.
Ok thanks. So all of rows 1 and 6 have the same roomy foot wells?

I don't usually care too much about direct aisle access. I might get up once all flight for a bathroom break. I guess the problem with Polaris is that they have the self-serve snacks in the galley, and if I'm awake I usually make a couple of trips for some fruit. Although, since it's an eastbound TPAC there's a good chance I'll be asleep at around the time I'd normally be snacking (a few hrs after the meal service). But I also like the window so that people walking back and forth in the aisle don't disturb me -- I think I'll stick with 1L (or maybe move to 6L, on the outside chance that 6K remains unoccupied?)

The only unavailable seats are 1A (blocked for pilot?), 1D, 1K, and 4D, so I really do have my choice right now (flight is in 2 months)
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Ok thanks. So all of rows 1 and 6 have the same roomy foot wells?

I don't usually care too much about direct aisle access. I might get up once all flight for a bathroom break. I guess the problem with Polaris is that they have the self-serve snacks in the galley, and if I'm awake I usually make a couple of trips for some fruit. Although, since it's an eastbound TPAC there's a good chance I'll be asleep at around the time I'd normally be snacking (a few hrs after the meal service). But I also like the window so that people walking back and forth in the aisle don't disturb me -- I think I'll stick with 1L (or maybe move to 6L, on the outside chance that 6K remains unoccupied?)

The only unavailable seats are 1A (blocked for pilot?), 1D, 1K, and 4D, so I really do have my choice right now (flight is in 2 months)
Yes.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Don’t forget no overhead bins in centre at row 1-2, which is why row 6DE are bests seats on the ship.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
1A vs 1L

Is there any difference to consider between 1A & 1L or are they practically the same? Currently I have selected 1A for my SFO-DEL flight but the cabin is still wide open with all bulkhead seats (rows 1 and 6) still available.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unicon
Is there any difference to consider between 1A & 1L or are they practically the same? Currently I have selected 1A for my SFO-DEL flight but the cabin is still wide open with all bulkhead seats (rows 1 and 6) still available.
Seat 1L adjoins the lav at door 1R, whereas there is no lav at door 1L. 1A is my favorite seat on the 789; others with differing aisle and window preferences may disagree.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
6D?

Originally Posted by unicon
My first choice is 6D without bothering the passenger on the aisle seat.
kirkwoodj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.