Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 21, 22, 8:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 3, 19, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Notanewflyer View Post
Any advice on 4L vs 5L (SFO-SIN)? Hard to tell from pictures but it looks like while there's a missing window at 4L, one could actually see out the window right by the seat albeit not an ideal viewing angle?
No reason not to go with 5L. I think you might be able to peek out by your shoulder, but you could just not have a missing window
Old Oct 3, 19, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by findark View Post
No reason not to go with 5L. I think you might be able to peek out by your shoulder, but you could just not have a missing window
Thanks! Wasn't sure if 5L was bad because of being up against lavatory and a few folks had mentioned service could be off for 5 given different FA than rows 1-4
Old Oct 3, 19, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Notanewflyer View Post
Thanks! Wasn't sure if 5L was bad because of being up against lavatory and a few folks had mentioned service could be off for 5 given different FA than rows 1-4
It's obviously a YMMV situation but I've flown 5A with no major lav issues, and that lav isn't separated by a closet like the 2R lav is. And it's United, the service could be off in any seat (5 is supposed to be served first from the second galley, or at least it used to be, which means it's actually better service if things go right.)
Notanewflyer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 11:43 am

Merits of 6D/E or 6K/L

Hi there, my husband and I have a Dec flight on the 787-9 Dreamliner SFO-LHR. Have found the feedback here very helpful in ruling out row 1 due to noise/light/cupboards etc. Currently have seats 6K/6L chosen. However, given the feedback here would it be worth giving up the window for 6D/6E?? Are these significantly more quiet?? Advantages being aisle access for both. I prefer the window seat for privacy, but apparently the engine might be loud there and hubby would be further out in aisle?

My other concern is, if we move to 6D/E, a parent might use the bassinet in 6K/L 😁 There is already someone in 6B, so it could already be the case there also. How frequently do you come across this scenario? Finally, if we stay in 6K/L, might we be bumped if a parent needs these seats? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Our other option would be to choose 3K/3L in the forward cabin hoping it is quieter, however reviews say hard to sleep due to room. Any and all feedback is deeply appreciated.
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by winklepop View Post
However, given the feedback here would it be worth giving up the window for 6D/6E?? Are these significantly more quiet??
No, they're not. As a couple, I would take the window pair.

I don't really understand complaints about engine noise, particularly on this aircraft (which is quieter than most).
Old Oct 10, 19, 2:02 pm

Oh thanks so very much for replying Kacee. I was almost going to message you directly as consider you quite the expert in this area :-)
Old Oct 25, 19, 11:54 am

For anyone interested, this is what row 27 looks like. There is a protrusion at seat 27L, not only the slide but also the side wall.
Old Nov 20, 19, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A-List Pref & CP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
6AB or 6KL on SYD-IAH? We flew 6AB LAX-SYD and the galley was very loud and bright (why bother with curtains if theyíre never used). Wondering if KL side might be slightly quieter or if itís a crapshoot as far as which side the FAs decide to congregate.
Old Nov 20, 19, 3:52 pm

I'd be very interested to know what responses you receive as we have 6K and 6L booked for an upcoming LAX-LHR flight. At this point I can still swap to 3K/3L if needed. Alternatively 6D/6E also available. We have ear plugs and eye masks, but sounds like this might not be enough...
Old Dec 3, 19, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Booked Y award for 4 of us, so no possibility to buy up to Polaris. Would E+ row 16 or 27 be a better bet? SFO-SYD. Seats going for around $130-$140 in either row. Thx
Old Dec 4, 19, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan View Post
Booked Y award for 4 of us, so no possibility to buy up to Polaris. Would E+ row 16 or 27 be a better bet? SFO-SYD. Seats going for around $130-$140 in either row. Thx
Bump per above...
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me add something of a corollary: where not to sit. Iíve flown a United B789 107 times as of today. Ion about 90% of those flights, Iíve been seated in 24L. Iíd say avoid seats 24J and 24F. Seats 24C and D are likely bad too. Seat 24J attracts carts. There is at least one collision per flight, probably more as I sleep a lot. Sometimesógranted rarelyóthings fall off. The passenger in seat 24F on UA1 on Tuesday had a pot of hot coffee pour over him. He was burned. He got iced down and received a nice set of Polaris pajamas. Itís a long flight, so his clothes dried out. Itís the worst accident Iíve seen: itís usually empty cups or waterócold water. 24J/F seem to be worse than 24C/D for cart collisions.
Old Dec 10, 19, 9:13 am

Seat 6A and 6L - not for light sleepers!

These seats are good for the extra storage space in the bassinet bin and large footwell's, but the proximity to the galley was a huge issue. There were two VERY loud stewardesses who sat in the jump seats just in front and chatted most of the flight. They spoke extremely loudly and made no effort to be quiet at all. Even with heavy duty ear plugs and eye masks, we had to wait until they went on break to get to any sleep, but as soon as they returned just two hours later they went right back to full volume in the same seats. There is also a cupboard of some kind in front of these seats, which the crew took great pleasure in slamming. Overall, after four international long haul flights with United in 8 weeks, we wouldn't choose to fly this airline again based on the crew's behaviour. For anyone who is booking in future, mid-cabin is safest for light sleepers. If we had to fly this aircraft again, I would likely pick row 3 instead as the front cabin was much darker/quieter. Best of luck!
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by winklepop View Post
These seats are good for the extra storage space in the bassinet bin and large footwell's, but the proximity to the galley was a huge issue. There were two VERY loud stewardesses who sat in the jump seats just in front and chatted most of the flight. They spoke extremely loudly and made no effort to be quiet at all. Even with heavy duty ear plugs and eye masks, we had to wait until they went on break to get to any sleep, but as soon as they returned just two hours later they went right back to full volume in the same seats. There is also a cupboard of some kind in front of these seats, which the crew took great pleasure in slamming. Overall, after four international long haul flights with United in 8 weeks, we wouldn't choose to fly this airline again based on the crew's behaviour. For anyone who is booking in future, mid-cabin is safest for light sleepers. If we had to fly this aircraft again, I would likely pick row 3 instead as the front cabin was much darker/quieter. Best of luck!
This would never happen on a Japanese carrier. They also know how to walk quietly, unlike so many UA FAs who stomp up and down the aisle.

I'd say this was more a case of a big time loss at FA roulette than anything wrong with the seats themselves. Small consolation, I know.
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:27 am

Agree, it was definitely bad luck at getting that particular crew.

Search this Thread